Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Has The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Longoria Heads to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Arc
Antenna TV Fall 2014 Schedule; Cloo Honors Robin Williams with Mork & Mindy Week
MeTV Network Fall 2014 Schedule; Disney Channel Posts Strong Ratings on Friday with Girl Meets World and Original Movie
Soap, Happy Endings on Logo; SNL Saturday Marathon on TV Land
Summer 2014 Week 12 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek
Preview NBC's New Comedy A to Z Before Premiere; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 18, 2014)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

Community - The Complete Fifth Season Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season Parks and Recreation - Season Six Three's Company - The Complete Series Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

08/05 - Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season
08/05 - Community - The Complete Fifth Season
08/05 - Mad About You - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - The Nanny - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - Dennis the Menace (Animated) - Lights! Camera! Menace!
08/12 - Bitten - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/19 - The Millers - The First Season
08/19 - The Mindy Project - Season Two
08/19 - Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season
08/19 - Parks and Recreation - Season Six
08/19 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
08/19 - Once Upon a Time - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
08/26 - Austin & Ally - Chasing the Beat
08/26 - Good Luck Charlie - So Long, Farewell!
08/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series
08/26 - Revenge - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default Why I hate Mike Love.

His own daughter, Shawn Love Wilson (also the third wife of Dennis Wilson), needed $500,000.00 for a liver transplant because of cancer. She tried to contact him several times and everyone in and around the band knew of her plight. He never even acknowledged her problem. She died in September just after her son Gage turned 21.

What an *******.

More reasons can be found at this guy's site
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
~*Hannah_Lee*~
Senior Member
Let's dance in style
 
~*Hannah_Lee*~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 09, 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via AIM to ~*Hannah_Lee*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Hannah_Lee*~
Default

Oh my gosh, how awful. What a jerk.
__________________

Some are like water, some are like the heat
Some are a melody and some are the beat.
Sooner or later they all will be gone.
Why don't they stay young?

It's so hard to get old without a cause.
I don't want to perish like a fleeing horse.
Youth is like diamonds in the sun,
And diamonds are forever.

Forever young, I want to be forever young.
Do you really want to live forever?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:04 AM   #3
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Moderator
Forum Legend
MISS APRIL
 
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 19, 2001
Location: Parsonsfield ME Shaws - Screwing my way up the employment ladder!
Posts: 68,712
Send a message via AIM to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤ Send a message via Yahoo to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Default

Is that *reallY* true, or is that just a rumor? Gaaah I love Mike Love! I saw him last year in concert.
__________________
DAVID COOK FOR AMERICAN IDOL
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
Is that *reallY* true, or is that just a rumor? Gaaah I love Mike Love! I saw him last year in concert.


Well, this information was given by someone close to "The Beach Boys Band" (Mike's touring novelty act) who wishes to remain anonymous. I can't find any other sources on this on the web, unfortunately. Where are the folks at Snopes when you need them?

The fact that Mike thinks he has every right to tour under the "Beach Boys" moniker, but Al Jardine and Brian Wilson(!) don't baffles me. At least Al sued him and finally, after two years, won. Go Al! I'd much rather see "The Beach Boys Family And Friends" than "The Beach Boys Band."

Brian, on the other hand, has enough name recognition to be able to tour without billing himself as a Beach Boy. Besides, I don't think he wants to.

By the way, Mike, in case you needed a reminder, The Beach Boys are and always will be Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine (sometimes featuring Bruce Johnston, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, or David Marks). Not these guys.

Oh, and one more thing - you can take that hat off, Mike, because you're fooling nobody. It was obvious you were losing your hair in 1963.

Sorry about my venomous wrath.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:48 AM   #5
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Moderator
Forum Legend
MISS APRIL
 
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 19, 2001
Location: Parsonsfield ME Shaws - Screwing my way up the employment ladder!
Posts: 68,712
Send a message via AIM to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤ Send a message via Yahoo to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA
Well, this information was given by someone close to "The Beach Boys Band" (Mike's touring novelty act) who wishes to remain anonymous. I can't find any other sources on this on the web, unfortunately. Where are the folks at Snopes when you need them?

The fact that Mike thinks he has every right to tour under the "Beach Boys" moniker, but Al Jardine and Brian Wilson(!) don't baffles me. At least Al sued him and finally, after two years, won. Go Al! I'd much rather see "The Beach Boys Family And Friends" than "The Beach Boys Band."

Brian, on the other hand, has enough name recognition to be able to tour without billing himself as a Beach Boy. Besides, I don't think he wants to.

By the way, Mike, in case you needed a reminder, The Beach Boys are and always will be Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine (sometimes featuring Bruce Johnston, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, or David Marks). Not these guys.

Oh, and one more thing - you can take that hat off, Mike, because you're fooling nobody. It was obvious you were losing your hair in 1963.

Sorry about my venomous wrath.

o0o0o wow. I never knew those. He always came off as a nice guy (then again, Ive only seen his appearances on Full House ). I had the opportunity to see Brian last year in concert, but I missed it.


@ the hair comment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
o0o0o wow. I never knew those. He always came off as a nice guy (then again, Ive only seen his appearances on Full House ).


I like to think that Mike was once a nice guy (not sure if that's true, but I like to think it), but that he "lost the faith" one day. Even Brian Wilson, his own cousin, no longer associates with him.

I feel kind of bad for trampling the guy into the ground, but I have to post this. Here's Mike's arrogant (and drunken) acceptance speech from The Beach Boys' induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (1988):

"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight. And, uh, those are the people who have passed away, those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney, who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko. That's what he sent a telegram to some, uh, high priced attorney in this room, you know. And that's a bummer, because we're talking about harmony, right, and the world. If we can't get it together in America and in England, and harmony within our groups. I mean, believe it, you can believe it the Beach Boys have their own interstescene(?) or whatever you call it, squabbles. But that's a bummer when Ms. Ross can't make it, you know? The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I'd like to see the Mop-Tops match that! I'd like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Jumpin' Jack Flash, any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam. I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemmee see. I know Mick Jagger won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in England. But I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he's always been chicken**** to get on stage with the Beach Boys."

Note: that year, The Beatles and Bob Dylan were also inducted in to the Hall Of Fame. Later in the show, as Bob Dylan was accepting his induction, he said, "I just want to thank Mike Love for not mentioning me in his speech." Oh, and unbeknownst to Mike, Mick Jagger was there that night, in the second or third row. Oops.

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
I had the opportunity to see Brian last year in concert, but I missed it.


If you ever get a chance to check them out, Brian has two great live albums available: "Live At The Roxy Theatre" and "Pet Sounds Live," in which he, along with a band, perform the album in its entirety.

Last edited by Brad : 12-28-2003 at 01:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 02:17 AM   #7
passionsfan79
Senior Member
Proud to be Sara fan
 
passionsfan79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 13, 2002
Location: MN
Posts: 2,255
Send a message via AIM to passionsfan79 Send a message via MSN to passionsfan79 Send a message via Yahoo to passionsfan79
Default Well, this information was given by someone close to "The Beach Boys Band" (Mike's to

I will continue to see the beach boys whenever i get a chance. i did get a chance to see brian wilson on pet sounds tour and paul simon tour and thought he was awesome. i hope i get another chance to see brian wilson again maybe a us smile tour that would be nice. i have not yet seen al jardine. but that is my goal is to see him ive been looking for MN dates for him but have not seen none. dont think hes on tour yet. hopefully he will have a tour this summer. keep rockin guys your awesome
__________________
Americas band The Beach Boys

Member of the Sara Evans fan club since Dec 05 2005 forever
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

I definitely would have gone to see The Beach Boys in the '60s or '70s (or even some '80s and '90s shows before Carl passed away when Brian sat in), but one original member (Mike) and Bruce with what I consider session musicians calling themselves "The Beach Boys" just doesn't cut it for me.

This is what I consider The Beach Boys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beachboysknebworth1980.jpg (190.3 KB, 73 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Moderator
Forum Legend
MISS APRIL
 
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 19, 2001
Location: Parsonsfield ME Shaws - Screwing my way up the employment ladder!
Posts: 68,712
Send a message via AIM to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤ Send a message via Yahoo to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA
I like to think that Mike was once a nice guy (not sure if that's true, but I like to think it), but that he "lost the faith" one day. Even Brian Wilson, his own cousin, no longer associates with him.

I feel kind of bad for trampling the guy into the ground, but I have to post this. Here's Mike's arrogant (and drunken) acceptance speech from The Beach Boys' induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (1988):

"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight. And, uh, those are the people who have passed away, those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney, who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko. That's what he sent a telegram to some, uh, high priced attorney in this room, you know. And that's a bummer, because we're talking about harmony, right, and the world. If we can't get it together in America and in England, and harmony within our groups. I mean, believe it, you can believe it the Beach Boys have their own interstescene(?) or whatever you call it, squabbles. But that's a bummer when Ms. Ross can't make it, you know? The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I'd like to see the Mop-Tops match that! I'd like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Jumpin' Jack Flash, any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam. I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemmee see. I know Mick Jagger won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in England. But I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he's always been chicken**** to get on stage with the Beach Boys."

Note: that year, The Beatles and Bob Dylan were also inducted in to the Hall Of Fame. Later in the show, as Bob Dylan was accepting his induction, he said, "I just want to thank Mike Love for not mentioning me in his speech." Oh, and unbeknownst to Mike, Mick Jagger was there that night, in the second or third row. Oops.
Wow... nice speech. @ the note. Too bad, itd be great to see them all together again now.. theyre my favorite band/group.



Quote:
If you ever get a chance to check them out, Brian has two great live albums available: "Live At The Roxy Theatre" and "Pet Sounds Live," in which he, along with a band, perform the album in its entirety.
Ooohh.. thanks, Ill have to get those- me and my Dad are huge Beach Boys fans. He has all their old records from the 60s and 70s. Itd be nice to have an old player to play them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
passionsfan79
Senior Member
Proud to be Sara fan
 
passionsfan79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 13, 2002
Location: MN
Posts: 2,255
Send a message via AIM to passionsfan79 Send a message via MSN to passionsfan79 Send a message via Yahoo to passionsfan79
Default

I got a chance to see the beach boys in 1992 and it was awesome my very first concert it was a great experince i got to see three of my favorite people that nigth the beach boys john stamos,and david cassidy who opened up for the beach boys that night. it will be a night i never forgot. my only concert that i saw with the beach boys with carl and al. i saw the beach boys 4 times all together though. and brian wilson twice
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Hollywood Swingin'
 
Janice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 35,176
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA
"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight...blah blah blah "

Reminds me of my old drinking days, lol.

The guy's a real dirtbag for not helping his own daughter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:09 PM   #12
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
Me and my Dad are huge Beach Boys fans. He has all their old records from the 60s and 70s. Itd be nice to have an old player to play them.

If you don't mind rebuying them, Capitol Records did an excellent job re-releasing The Beach Boys' albums on CD. Instead of issuing the albums individually, they released "twofers" (two albums on one CD). This gives you a pretty good value, as you can buy two albums for $12. It also makes it a lot easier and cheaper to own 'em all.

The albums are currently available in the following configurations:

Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA (1962, 1963)
Surfer Girl and Shut Down, Vol. 2 (1963, 1964)
Little Deuce Couple and All Summer Long (1963, 1964)
Concert and Live In London (1963, 1970)
Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (1964, 1965)
Beach Boys Party! and Stack-O-Tracks (1965, 1968)
Pet Sounds (1966) [both the mono and new stereo mix are included on the disc]
Smiley Smile and Wild Honey (1967, 1967)
Friends and 20/20 (1968, 1969)
Sunflower and Surf's Up (1970, 1971)
Carl And The Passions -- So Tough and Holland (1972, 1973)
In Concert (1973) [originally a double album on LP, but able to fit on one 80-minute CD]
15 Big Ones and Love You (1976, 1977)
M.I.U. Album and L.A. (Light Album) (1978, 1979)
Keepin' The Summer Alive and The Beach Boys (1980, 1985)

Summer In Paradise (1992) was not reissued, as Capitol doesn't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole (I can't blame them), but I think the original CD is still available. Endless Harmony (1998) and Hawthorne, CA are rarities compilations that are definitely worthwhile, So is Good Timin': Live At Knebworth, England, 1980 (2003), which is also available on an awesome DVD (that's where I got the six screenshots above).

I hope Capitol appreciates the free advertising I'm giving them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:17 AM   #13
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Moderator
Forum Legend
MISS APRIL
 
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 19, 2001
Location: Parsonsfield ME Shaws - Screwing my way up the employment ladder!
Posts: 68,712
Send a message via AIM to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤ Send a message via Yahoo to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA
If you don't mind rebuying them, Capitol Records did an excellent job re-releasing The Beach Boys' albums on CD. Instead of issuing the albums individually, they released "twofers" (two albums on one CD). This gives you a pretty good value, as you can buy two albums for $12. It also makes it a lot easier and cheaper to own 'em all.

The albums are currently available in the following configurations:

Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA (1962, 1963)
Surfer Girl and Shut Down, Vol. 2 (1963, 1964)
Little Deuce Couple and All Summer Long (1963, 1964)
Concert and Live In London (1963, 1970)
Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (1964, 1965)
Beach Boys Party! and Stack-O-Tracks (1965, 1968)
Pet Sounds (1966) [both the mono and new stereo mix are included on the disc]
Smiley Smile and Wild Honey (1967, 1967)
Friends and 20/20 (1968, 1969)
Sunflower and Surf's Up (1970, 1971)
Carl And The Passions -- So Tough and Holland (1972, 1973)
In Concert (1973) [originally a double album on LP, but able to fit on one 80-minute CD]
15 Big Ones and Love You (1976, 1977)
M.I.U. Album and L.A. (Light Album) (1978, 1979)
Keepin' The Summer Alive and The Beach Boys (1980, 1985)

Summer In Paradise (1992) was not reissued, as Capitol doesn't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole (I can't blame them), but I think the original CD is still available. Endless Harmony (1998) and Hawthorne, CA are rarities compilations that are definitely worthwhile, So is Good Timin': Live At Knebworth, England, 1980 (2003), which is also available on an awesome DVD (that's where I got the six screenshots above).

I hope Capitol appreciates the free advertising I'm giving them.

Cool, thanks. My Dad would love those as gifts.

Maybe if Capitol sees thing, youll get some freebies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #14
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
Maybe if Capitol sees thing, youll get some freebies.


I hope so!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #15
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

From The Beach Boys FAQ:

12. What's the deal with all of the Beach Boys touring with different bands? Who is in the band touring as "The Beach Boys?" Did Al Jardine quit, or was he fired? What's going on with the lawsuits being filed between Mike Love and Al Jardine?

Well, it seems as though it would take an entire book to explain the sordid details. But to sum it up as quickly as possible, here it goes: Up until 1998, the band touring as the Beach Boys consisted of Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, Mike Love, and Carl Wilson. This is the basic nucleus of the group that toured after Dennis Wilson's death from 1983 until 1998 (with the exception of rare appearances by Brian Wilson with the group). Carl Wilson became ill in 1997, but continued to tour with the group on and off until August of 1997, at which point he had to take some time off due to illness. At that point, old member David Marks was brought in to "beef up" the band and it's number of "original members". At some point in late 1997, Mike Love for unknown reasons declared that he did not want to appear on stage with Carl Wilson or Al Jardine anymore. The apparent reasoning for not touring with Carl was that Mike Love did not want to appear with Carl due to his deteriorating physical condition and appearance.

Upon Carl's passing in February of 1998, Mike Love chose to continue touring and performing Beach Boys material. Al Jardine contends that the fact that Love did not want to tour with him anymore, coupled with an important gig erroneously or not billed as "The Beach Boys" being performed at the Super Bowl in early 1998 without an invitation to Jardine, forced him to leave the band in 1998 after all of his prior commitments were met. While Jardine may or may not have wanted to stay with Mike Love's touring band in the form that it was in, it appears Jardine may have been effectively forced to leave as opposed to choosing on his own to leave. For a short while in 1998 after Carl and Al were gone from the touring band, Love, Johnston, and Marks toured as "Mike Love and America's Band" or "America's Band featuring Mike Love," or some other variation of this name. This was reportedly due to the fact that nobody was cleared at this time to tour as "The Beach Boys." During this time, it was very difficult for Love's band to book shows, because not being able to tour as "The Beach Boys" meant few venues or audiences would recognize his band at all.

The specifics are unclear, but it appears that all three Beach Boys (Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Brian Wilson) were all granted some form of a license from BRI ("Brother Records International," the Beach Boys' company) to tour in some form as "The Beach Boys" and/or to utilize the Beach Boys' name in their own band's title. The licenses given to Love and Jardine may or may not have differed. It is unclear whether both were licensed to simply call their band "The Beach Boys" or if one was given that license while the other was given a different license. Once the different licenses took affect Mike Love continued to tour in 1998 (and in fact to this day) without Al Jardine as "The Beach Boys," with a band consisting of himself, Bruce Johnston, David Marks, and backup musicians. This would seem to indicate that Love was cleared from the get-go to call his band "The Beach Boys." David Marks left the group in July of 1999, so now the touring Beach Boys consist of Love and Johnston.

Upon leaving the Beach Boys, Jardine started his own group titled "Beach Boys Family and Friends," indicating that while he may or may not have been granted a license to call his band "The Beach Boys," he was granted some form of a license at the very least to advertise himself as being "of the Beach Boys," and to incorporate the Beach Boys name into his band's name (statements from BRI's lawyers later on would seem to confirm this). Jardine never contended or tried to lead anybody to believe that his band was "The Beach Boys," and in fact in interviews talked directly about the fact that Mike Love was touring as "The Beach Boys" and that the concept of his band was different. The band consisted of Jardine, his two sons Matt and Adam; Brian Wilson's daughters and former members of "Wilson Phillips" Carnie and Wendy; Owen Elliott, the daughter of Cass Elliott from The Mamas and The Papas; and a familiar cast of past Beach Boys veteran backing musicians including Billy Hinsche, Bobby Figueroa, Ed Carter, and Richie Cannata.

Brian Wilson toured in 1999 and 2000 and has plans to continue touring, choosing to tour under his own name. Litigation beginning in 1999 between Mike Love (via "BRI") and Al Jardine seems to stem from the fact that Love believes Jardine's incorporating the Beach Boys' name into his band's name is misleading and inappropriate and that Jardine no longer has a license to use the Beach Boys name because he has violated the terms of the license by using female singers and performing more obscure material from the Beach Boys' later years that does not go along with Beach Boys' image of "fun, surf, and cars." Jardine contends that he is not misleading concert goers with his band, and he contends he was granted a license to use the Beach Boys' name in some form and should still be entitled to. Brian Wilson as well as the estate of Carl Wilson continue to side with Love, as they not only want Love to continue to "keep the Beach Boys name alive" but also reap financial benefits from Love's touring band, which all parties admit makes more money than Jardine's band.

Some reports still contend that there has never been any sort of "3 to 1" vote against Al, and it is still unclear what licenses were distributed to whom in 1998, and who had the right to use what band title. All we do know is that Mike legally was granted the right to call his band "The Beach Boys" and that apparently there initially was no problem with Al titling his band "Beach Boys Family and Friends." Some insist that Al was never granted a license at all, some insist Al was granted a license but broke the terms of that license, and some say he was granted a license and that the lawsuits against him are frivolous and simply a ploy to prevent him from competing against Love's touring band. Obviously, there is still much to be learned about this case.

Mike Love, through BRI, filed an injunction several times in 1999 to keep Jardine from touring under the name "Beach Boys Family and Friends," and it was thrown out each time until a temporary injunction was finally granted in late 1999, pending a hearing at some later date in 2000. It appears at this time that the injunction was upheld. Jardine still plans to fight against this on the basis of other similar cases where members of bands were allowed to advertise themselves as being a member of that band. So for now, Jardine cannot use the "Beach Boys Family and Friends" moniker and has been forced to change the title of the band, choosing to call the band "Al Jardine Family and Friends Beach Band."

This name change has more or less crippled Jardine's ability to be able to tour on any sort of regular basis. Just as Mike Love had trouble booking any shows in 1998 under the "America's Band" moniker, Jardine cannot book any substantial number of shows without incorporating the Beach Boys' name into has band. At no time has Al ever used the name "The Beach Boys" for his band, nor has he ever expressed any desire to do so. He simply wants to be able to advertise his band to indicate he is from the Beach Boys. While Love's band continues to play to the mass of public consisting of mostly common fans who know little of the detailed history of the Beach Boys and still has the support of a small faction of die-hard Beach Boys fans grasping onto him and anything that is still calling itself "The Beach Boys," a large percentage of the die-hard fans agree that Al's band puts on a much better show and that Love's actions leading to Jardine not being able to tour as "Beach Boys Family and Friends" is simply wrong. Some contend that all of the legal actions against Al are taken by BRI, not Love. While this is technically and legally true, we know that at the very least Love is a part of that action as a member of BRI (and we know Al isn't on their side, because he wouldn't sue himself, although there is a strange paradox in the fact that since the whole of BRI is suing Al and that Al is still a member of BRI, he is suing himself in one sense), and that many say most of the actions taken by BRI have been done basically in the interest of having Love's band as the one and only band that can tour and use any variation of the Beach Boys' name. The above details are gleamed from available news stories and other researched information and accounts surrounding these events. The details of the lawsuits have been very sketchy, so many details are still missing. But the basic events concerning name changes and touring lineups are correct.

Update (as of November 13, 2003):

Al Jardine Gets OK To Sue Mike Love

By Samantha Chang
Billboard

Founding Beach Boys member Al Jardine has won an appeal against ex-bandmate Mike Love, clearing the way for a breach-of-fiduciary-duty lawsuit against Love. "This is the first step in a long journey," Jardine tells Billboard.

Love became the sole licensee to perform under the Beach Boys name in 1998, when bandmate Carl Wilson died. In 2001, Love sued Jardine in California superior court to prevent Jardine from using the band's name when he toured. According to the complaint, Jardine had been touring under the names "Beach Boys Family & Friends," "Al Jardine, Beach Boy" and "Al Jardine of the Beach Boys."

At the time, the lower court ruled in Love's favor, denying Jardine use of the name. Jardine then appealed the decision, seeking $4 million in damages. By now, the damage amount has ballooned to "something in the tens of millions of dollars," says Jardine. "But it's about much more than just the money. I want to be able to tour again, and to be able to identify myself as a Beach Boy again."

In the latest decision, the California Court of Appeal on Oct. 29 ruled that Love acted wrongfully in freezing Jardine out of touring under the Beach Boys name. Other defendants in the appeal included Brian Wilson; Wilson's wife, Melinda Wilson; the trust of the late Carl Wilson and Brother Records, Inc.

A trial date is expected in mid-2004.
  Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.