Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery


Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 22, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"
Senior Member
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,838
Question "Happy Days Again"...why the title change?

When Happy Days debuted in syndication in the fall of 1979, it was retitled Happy Days Again. I'm curious as to why this was done.

It ran that way for a couple of years or so. Laverne & Shirley was similarly retitled Laverne & Shirley & Company when it made its syndication debut in 1981.

If anyone knows why the shows were retitled, please come forward and let your voice be heard!

Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
C Doody
Captain Juke N Jive
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
C Doody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 23, 2002
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 70,147
Send a message via MSN to C Doody
Default

I Believe it was so their would be No Confusion of people thinking they were New episodes.
C Doody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:30 AM   #3
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"
Senior Member
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,838
Cool

Good point, but it's kind of ridiculous when other first-run shows were airing reruns in syndication and didn't bother to make a distinction.

Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Thong
Good point, but it's kind of ridiculous when other first-run shows were airing reruns in syndication and didn't bother to make a distinction.

it wasnt really when it went into syndication - it was when they were showing the reruns in the regular (or a primetime) timeslot - most of the syndicated eps they show now DONT say "Happy Days again" - it is only the few eps that they reran during the regular season...

I wonder if anyone knows how many of these there are exactly? - I know that I wrote it doown when I taped an episode that started with that, but I think there was only 4 that I noticed - there may be more, or I may be remembering it wrong....
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

When they originally went into syndication all the syndicated episodes were called Happy Days Again. They were advertised on the local affiliates as Happy Days Again which I thought was strange and even in old issues of tv guides. Luckily they don't do this anymore.
__________________
Sonny
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper
When they originally went into syndication all the syndicated episodes were called Happy Days Again. They are even listed in old tv guides as Happy Days Again. They don't do this anymore.
ok, strange, but I know that there are only a handful of the episodes that have that in the intro - and its always the same ones from the same season... dont MAKE me go lookin through my tapes....
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
ok, strange, but I know that there are only a handful of the episodes that have that in the intro - and its always the same ones from the same season... dont MAKE me go lookin through my tapes....
No I believe you. They are probably old copies of these syndicated versions. I heard there were still some versions of them out there. I also have the issues of these tv guides. In addition to Happy Days Again when Laverne And Shirley first went into syndication it was called Laverne And Shirley and Company and when Chips first went into syndication it was called Chips Patrol. When Real People went into syndication it was called More Real People. I always thought these were strange.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #8
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper
No I believe you. They are probably old copies of these syndicated versions. I heard there were still some versions of them out there. I also have the issues of these tv guides. In addition to Happy Days Again when Laverne And Shirley first went into syndication it was called Laverne And Shirley and Company and when Chips first went into syndication it was called Chips Patrol. When Real People went into syndication it was called More Real People. I always thought these were strange.
were all of these ABC shows? maybe they were trying to pimp up there programming lists to make it look like they had more shows than they actually did....
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
were all of these ABC shows? maybe they were trying to pimp up there programming lists to make it look like they had more shows than they actually did....
Chips and Real People came from Nbc. It was just something they did in the early 1980's. There might have been more but I don't remember. I do remember B.J. and The Bear being syndicated with Lobo as the B.J./Lobo Show. I know that after Happy Days stopped airing in primetime these versions stopped airing.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper
Chips and Real People came from Nbc. It was just something they did in the early 1980's. There might have been more but I don't remember. I do remember B.J. and The Bear being syndicated with Lobo as the B.J./Lobo Show. I know that after Happy Days stopped airing in primetime these versions stopped airing.
Now hang on a minute there, Sherrif Lobo had his own spinoff there - I was a fanatic for that show, I was BJandthebear KA-RAZY!!!
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
Now hang on a minute there, Sherrif Lobo had his own spinoff there - I was a fanatic for that show, I was BJandthebear KA-RAZY!!!
I dont know if they changed the titles for it, or even if they syndicated it at all, but I know that Lobo had his own show....
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

I loved Sheriff Lobo too. I wished they would put B.J. and Lobo back on.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
I dont know if they changed the titles for it, or even if they syndicated it at all, but I know that Lobo had his own show....
Lobo did have its own show but when it was syndicated it was put in with B.J. And The Bear and syndicated as the B.J./Lobo Show. Then they had BJ and The Bear and Lobo air on alternate days. I use to love those shows but I haven't seen them in years.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #14
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Moderator
Forum Legend
 
robyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2003
Location: hiding under the third booth at Arnold's
Posts: 55,020
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr roper
Lobo did have its own show but when it was syndicated it was put in with B.J. And The Bear and syndicated as the B.J./Lobo Show. Then they had BJ and The Bear and Lobo air on alternate days. I use to love those shows but I haven't seen them in years.
yep, not the sorta thing they feel has much demand for it - although with stuff like TVLand, Deja-vue, and the Drive-Inn Classics channels doing so well, maybe there's hope...
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,905
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
yep, not the sorta thing they feel has much demand for it - although with stuff like TVLand, Deja-vue, and the Drive-Inn Classics channels doing so well, maybe there's hope...
TV Land will probably say nobody remembers it. Thats what they say when they don't air lost classics. If they would air these shows then maybe a new generation can enjoy them. Deputy Perkins use to crack me up.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.