Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 AM   #31
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#154 - The Mechanic

this was one of those "issue" episodes - Fonzie hires a mechanic in a wheelchair, and can't bring himself to fire the guy, even though he's a complete turd and is drivin the Fonz nutso.

Y'know, it never bothered me when HD tried to give us a message, as long as they kept it funny. This one was sorta a downer in my book, I dont even remember seeing Ralph & Potsie at all in it, and there were a couple of parts where they actually made the Fonz look dumb:
- when Chachi tells Fonzie that he has to write an autobiography and the Fonz asks "who's it about?"
- when the Fonz is talking about the problem and he says " I'm not saravoyant"

obviously meant as jokes.... but really came of a little flat what did you think?

tomorrow ... #155 - They're Closing Inspiration Point
Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #32
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#155 - They're Closing Inspiration Point

(you know, I was really hoping more people would come in here to discuss these - or any other episodes, I also just wanted to make sure any of the less obvious things I notice in some of these EPs are documented here somewhere...)

This was a great episode - they brought back a lot of the feel from the earlier seasons - although I think they coulda broken down and done a couple of outside shots, I mean geez, they were still a top-ratings show, they couldn't fit it into their budget to go on a little field trip???

I loved the fact that when the Fonz ccomes into Arnolds with the sign, his is just an exclamation point

(! - and the parts with the cement blocks on his feet and where hes draggin the boulder on the chain were hilarious....

they shoulda brought back Officer Kirk, actually they shoulda had him in more episodes - every hero needs a nemesis to battle...

Ralph makin out with LoriBeth for the "short dramatization" was hilarious "what? you want it to look realistic don't you Rich?"
Old 09-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #33
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
#155 - They're Closing Inspiration Point

This was a great episode - they brought back a lot of the feel from the earlier seasons - although I think they coulda broken down and done a couple of outside shots, I mean geez, they were still a top-ratings show, they couldn't fit it into their budget to go on a little field trip???

I agree. They should've at least shown a little clip showing Inspiration Point, since its never shown on the series (only on ep #24)
Old 10-01-2003, 10:09 AM   #34
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#146 - Marion Goes to Jail

This one was so funny, they even brought Officer Kirk back!!! I'm gonna have to watch it again for some good quotes 'n stuff, but the parts with Kirk and the Jail's female guard were hilarious....
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #35
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#148 - Richie Falls in Love

This was a weird one - at the beginning of the episode, Richie is with LoriBeth, but upset with her about being forced to dress up as Humpty Dumpty for the Homecoming Parade (??!??!)
- so he goes to the bar at the Pfister Hotel, which didn't make a lot of sense to me in the first place, and orders a rootbeer. So when a woman comes in and coincidentally orders a rootbeer, this somehow changes his whole life (??!?!!!?).
If i were rating these episodes, which maybe I should, it'd be easier than going into a long diatribe over the bad ones... I'd giv it a '4' outta 10
Old 10-03-2003, 11:20 AM   #36
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#167 - Ralph's Family Problem

This was the 7th season finale, and it was a tough one for me personally, because (without going into too much intimate detail) - my parents were going through a nasty divorce throughout most of my childhood... so I understood how Ralh felt, probably moreso than Don Most did at the time.

Still, it was a good episode, i love seeing Jack Dodson as Mickey Malph, another GREAT charater they shoulda had on more often
Ralph: "What's yellow and goes 'click-clack'?"
Mickey Malph: "A ballpoint banana!!!"
The editing of the episode sucks on WGN as usual; when Mr Malph first comes into Ralph and Potsie's apartment they go from him saying as an optometrist he's "Busy, busy busy" to "try these on" with the fake nose and glasses - you miss the entire joke, and have no idea where Potsie went, or what happened with the ATO pagent thing???
Old 10-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #37
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

A couple of notes about that ATO thing:
- and that would be their fraternity letters, Alpha Tau Omega) - I have no idea if that is consistent or not, I just wanted to make note of it...
- they mention the year being 1961 several times in this episode,

- trivia note - the pageant winner is Ellen Sweeney
Old 10-04-2003, 11:50 PM   #38
wayne

Actually "Ralph's Family Problerms" was made after "A Potsie is Born." We see scenes from the old Arnold's in the former.

I think my favorite from that period is "Father & Son" in which Ritchie & Dad try to become buddies. The problem is they weren't meant to be that way. Mr. C has a real problem trusting Rich who is in his room with the cake girl & lets Potsie & Ralph know about it. Doesn't it seem strange that it would be that way, since Rich was the perfect son who never drank nor smoked?
By the way what happened to Lori Beth in this one? I assume she was still Rich's girlfriend.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #39
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne
Actually "Ralph's Family Problerms" was made after "A Potsie is Born." We see scenes from the old Arnold's in the former.

I think my favorite from that period is "Father & Son" in which Ritchie & Dad try to become buddies. The problem is they weren't meant to be that way. Mr. C has a real problem trusting Rich who is in his room with the cake girl & lets Potsie & Ralph know about it. Doesn't it seem strange that it would be that way, since Rich was the perfect son who never drank nor smoked?
By the way what happened to Lori Beth in this one? I assume she was still Rich's girlfriend.
it always bugged me that LoriBeth was conveniently not in an episode where Richie was involved with some other girl... I don't know how serious their relationship was supposed to be, but Richie seemed to forget all about Loribeth at the drop of a hat...
Old 10-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #40
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#149 Fonzie's a Thespian

this is the one where Marion's theatre group is putting on a benefit production of "the Rainmaker", and their star, Sloane Marlowe hits on Marion, gets slapped, insults her and Fonzie scares him off, so ends up replacing him in the play.

Some of the best parts:

Potsie (after Richie explains that he has to review his own mother in the play): "A writer shouldn't have parents"

the Fonz's 'chat' with the creep-
Fonzie: *knocks on stage door* "Uh-Oh, who could that be?" *punches fist through door* "It ain't opportunity!"

Riichie: "No-no, a chat is just threatening, a discussion is hitting"

Fonzie (on acting): "But that's Shakespeare - anybody can do that!"
Old 10-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #41
wayne

The word Phister seems to come up on HD every so often. It was the name of a hotel, & was Fonzie's girlfriend Ashley's last name. Were there other episodes that had the name Phister? Was it one of the producers names?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #42
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne
The word Phister seems to come up on HD every so often. It was the name of a hotel, & was Fonzie's girlfriend Ashley's last name. Were there other episodes that had the name Phister? Was it one of the producers names?
I believe that there actually was/is a Pfister Hotel andother buildings IN Milwaukee, and you are correct, the name DOES show up in MANY episodes, also it was in quite a few episodes of Laverne & Shirley, and as you mentioned Fonzie's girlfriend's name.

Of course, all of this doesn't EXPLAIN much, i have no idea why, other than it actually IS a popular name in the real-life city of Milwaulee....
Old 10-06-2003, 10:40 AM   #43
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

#150 - Burlesque

Similar to the episode with the Magic show, in this episode they are putting on a burlesque show for the Leopard Lodge, and when the performers are snowed in , they gang has to perform in their place....

aside from the hokey setup, this was a great ep... i'd like to sit down and transcribe all of the jokes in this ep, cuz there's a LOT of them.... it aint gonna be today though
Old 10-06-2003, 10:41 AM   #44
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally posted by robyrob
#150 - Burlesque

Similar to the episode with the Magic show, in this episode they are putting on a burlesque show for the Leopard Lodge, and when the performers are snowed in , they gang has to perform in their place....

aside from the hokey setup, this was a great ep... i'd like to sit down and transcribe all of the jokes in this ep, cuz there's a LOT of them.... it aint gonna be today though

trivia note: this episode is the one where Howard is made the grand Poohbah (Poopah?) - at the end of the episode, after the show is a success, Al tells him
Old 10-06-2003, 02:21 PM   #45
wayne

I've always wondered if "Father & Son" might have been a sequel of sorts to "Burlesque." The reason I say that is because at the end of "Burlesque" Howard learns that he will be installed as the Grand Poopah of his lodge. However, in Father & Son the installatation actually takes place. I always have liked Burlesque, though some have criticised it. I thought Irv Benson was very funny. I notice he was on Johnny Carson a few times. Did he pass away later? I don't remember him on tv besides HD & the tonight show.

Irv: By the way the girl is crazy about me. You know she knocked on my door for 4 hours & I finally had to let her out! He's talking about Cassandra Peterson who we know as Elvira.