Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-06-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Aunt Clara
Occasional Poster

Default George's broken hand

In several episodes of Hazel, George had his hand bandaged. I was wondering if that was a true injury then added to the plot line, or was there an episode where George actually hurt his hand. How did is happen?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
vze3t9q9
Forum Regular

I noticed that too. I assume Don hurt his hand. I would have shown it once and then had scenes hiding it. It seemed many episodes were shownn with a bandaged hand. It kinda ruin the scenes seeing it so many times.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
scooter-rider
First Time Poster

Default Don DeFore's injured hand

Don DeFore was not only a fine actor but he could swing a hammer as well (In fact, he built his own home in the tony neighborhood of Brentwood) Unfortunately, in his wood shop, he accidentally cut his finger off. This occured during the first season of "Hazel". And since production could not be halted, his injury was written in the script of the show. His injury was explained away by fielding ground balls from Harold, out on the baseball field.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
vze3t9q9
Forum Regular

He cut his finger off. Ouch. OOh. I guess it wasn't too bad for future episodes he looked fine.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Don DeFore talked about this in...

...the book "Written Out Of Television". Yes, he did cut his hand, and it had to be bandaged for a few weeks. They explained it in the show's storyline by having George Baxter complain to his boss that, due to a baseball game, it was Hazel's fault his hand was bandaged so much (she pitched too hard!).

Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
RD4
Occasional Poster

Well, my Dad didn't cut his finger "off" but came very close. He liked to work in the garage and made a lot of the old fashioned furniture in our Mandeville Canyon home in Brentwood. One day he went to Sears and for some reason (maybe by mistake) bought a 9 inch replacement blade for his circular table saw. Unfortunately for him he had been used to a 7 inch blade, and while cutting wood that 2 inches got to his ring finger, left hand. He came very close to losing it but with a lot of very good surgical assistance and platinum rods the docs were able to save it. Coincidentally I did the almost identical thing on our band saw just a couple years later on the exact same finger.
Ron DeFore
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Dusty's Fan

Thanks for your reply, Mr. DeFore. We fans of Hazel in general and your dad in particular are fortunate to have you here. The color episodes comprise one of my earliest memories, having watched episodes in syndication even before I was old enough to attend grade school.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Abitibibob
Occasional Poster

Default Don DeFore's Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD4
Well, my Dad didn't cut his finger "off" but came very close. He liked to work in the garage and made a lot of the old fashioned furniture in our Mandeville Canyon home in Brentwood. One day he went to Sears and for some reason (maybe by mistake) bought a 9 inch replacement blade for his circular table saw. Unfortunately for him he had been used to a 7 inch blade, and while cutting wood that 2 inches got to his ring finger, left hand. He came very close to losing it but with a lot of very good surgical assistance and platinum rods the docs were able to save it. Coincidentally I did the almost identical thing on our band saw just a couple years later on the exact same finger.
Ron DeFore

There's just one problem. It was his RIGHT hand that was bandaged!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

The controversy continues.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Lisalu
Occasional Poster

Crickets....
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Ali_L
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibibob
Both hands have a ring finger :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
Ali_L
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibibob
Both hands have a ring finger.. :-) And I think there couldn't have been a better choice for George. Don Defore's expressions were hilarious!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Abitibibob
Occasional Poster

Default Don Defore's Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_L
Both hands have a ring finger :-)
"Ron" said it was his LEFT hand! But his right hand was the one bandaged.