Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > In the Heat of the Night
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
isiahthomas

Default I Didn't Know Howard Rollins Was Gay

Did ya'll know he was gay while he was on the show? I had no idea the whole time i was watching the show. He was a good actor though while he was on the show. I also think Carl Weathers did a good job of replacing him on the show.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
Penny Lane
Forum Veteran
Hoppy Easter!

No, I didn't know that.Where did you hear that?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
isiahthomas

U didn't know he was gay? Stop playin. I thought everybody knew that. I saw some pictures of him in a Enquirer dressed up like a woman. I know u can't believe everything the Enquirer says but the pictures looked real. They must've been telling the truth. He would dress up like a woman at night & mess with men. He died of aids so what does that tell u?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
Penny Lane
Forum Veteran
Hoppy Easter!

Quote:
Originally posted by isiahthomas
U didn't know he was gay? Stop playin. I thought everybody knew that. I saw some pictures of him in a Enquirer dressed up like a woman. I know u can't believe everything the Enquirer says but the pictures looked real. They must've been telling the truth. He would dress up like a woman at night & mess with men. He died of aids so what does that tell u?

According to the IMDB.com He died from Lymphoma (cancer). He was a drug abuser for many years before that and IF he had AIDS he might have gotten it through a needle. If the only info you have is from The Enquirer I seriously question that! Please get the real facts before posting anything like that!

And you asked me, "You didn't know he was gay?" Well, your thread headline reads, "I didn't know Howard Rollins was gay" . You contradict yourself. If he was gay, it wasn't very well known as I had never heard about it. And I was a dedicated "Heat" fan for years! Next you will tell us that Bubba is really a woman!
Old 08-04-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
isiahthomas

I'm sorry for posting the wrong information about his death. I believe he was gay though cause he would dress up like a woman prostitute at night is what i heard. Anyway did u see him in the movie A Soldier's Story with Denzel Washington? That's a good movie.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
EricIdlefan
Forum Veteran
Easter Bunnies

I know he had a drug & alcohol problem & brushes with the law are the main reasons that Caroll O' Connor let him go because of the controverseys surrounding Rollins!!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:45 AM   #7
EricIdlefan
Forum Veteran
Easter Bunnies

Quote:
Originally posted by Penny Lane
According to the IMDB.com He died from Lymphoma (cancer). He was a drug abuser for many years before that and IF he had AIDS he might have gotten it through a needle. If the only info you have is from The Enquirer I seriously question that! Please get the real facts before posting anything like that!

And you asked me, "You didn't know he was gay?" Well, your thread headline reads, "I didn't know Howard Rollins was gay" . You contradict yourself. If he was gay, it wasn't very well known as I had never heard about it. And I was a dedicated "Heat" fan for years! Next you will tell us that Bubba is really a woman!

Isn't it strange both stars have passed away!! It is sad that he lived that lifestyle on top of having drugs and alcohol abuse and run-ins with the law!! Terrific talent and he threw it all away!!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
blkninj01
First Time Poster

Not sure how to reply to this but people are just wrong. First of all, he died from cancer and he did not have AIDS. That Enquirer was just crazy. I am shocked that people still believe that crap that they put in there. He did have a problem with cocaine (never shot drugs though). The sad part is that he was clean the last 4 to 5 years of his life. It is kind of hard for people who are in the spot light because it is hard to fight all the rumors. People were always trying to say he was gay because of that picture they did but you had to know him know that most of the stuff out there about him was a crock. I know most of these things about him because he was my uncle if anyone wondered how I know these things.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Penny Lane
Forum Veteran
Hoppy Easter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkninj01
Not sure how to reply to this but people are just wrong. First of all, he died from cancer and he did not have AIDS. That Enquirer was just crazy. I am shocked that people still believe that crap that they put in there. He did have a problem with cocaine (never shot drugs though). The sad part is that he was clean the last 4 to 5 years of his life. It is kind of hard for people who are in the spot light because it is hard to fight all the rumors. People were always trying to say he was gay because of that picture they did but you had to know him know that most of the stuff out there about him was a crock. I know most of these things about him because he was my uncle if anyone wondered how I know these things.

He was your uncle? Well you should know the facts. He was a fabulous actor and I miss him and Hugh and Carroll. I was always hoping that there would be a reunion show someday but I doubt that it will happen without the principle characters of Gillespie, Tibbs and Jamison. It just would not be good IMO. Too bad.

Last edited by Penny Lane : 11-01-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
JuicyCoutureGirl
Forum Regular
L Hath No Fury

Location: Drinking Margaritas With The L Word Ladies at The Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahthomas
Did ya'll know he was gay while he was on the show? I had no idea the whole time i was watching the show. He was a good actor though while he was on the show. I also think Carl Weathers did a good job of replacing him on the show.

And??????
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
sugamama
Frequent Poster

He was a Wonderful actor. I loved him in a soldiers story
Old 04-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #12
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

Howard was a wonder Actor and I sure do miss him
Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #13
GSXRRyderLover
First Time Poster

Oh No

I remember seeing those photos in the enquire he was wearing like a purple dress. According to all of the info I managed to Google up there is a diffrent story...
Black Celebrities Who Died With Little Or No Fanfare had this to say:
Howard Rollins was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Daytime Drama Series for his role on Another World. Rollins was also nominated for the 1981 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the motion picture, Ragtime. In 1984, he starred in director Norman Jewison's film, A Soldier's Story which led to his role as "Virgil Tibbs" on the In the Heat of the Night television series based on Jewison's acclaimed motion picture of the same name. In 1993, Rollins spent about a month in jail for driving under the influence and reckless driving. Because of continued legal problems, Rollins was ultimately dropped from In the Heat of the Night and was replaced by Carl Weathers. Rollins was invited back as a guest star on several episodes in the seventh season, but further legal problems led to his being totally banned from the county where the series was filmed. During this time, Rollins changed his appearance and appeared on a talk show in feminine looking clothes. Rollins died in 1996 after complications from AIDS-related lymphoma and was interred in the Woodlawn Cemetery in his native Baltimore. He had been diagnosed with the condition approximately six weeks earlier.

Wiki said something similar.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
megamanj2004

I always heard about that he had battled drug problems and legal problems throughout his time on In the Heat of the Night.

But the gay part about him, I probably can believe that.

But aside from all those negativities, he was a great actor that got caught in the worst moments.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
Psychster
Frequent Poster

I'm not saying anything one way or the other about his being gay or not, I'd just like to point out that no one should take as fact anything printed in a source just as likely to say Rollins was the love child of Elvis and a space alien.

Maybe he was dressing pretty for a date with bigfoot.

It wasn't even him, it was a pod person created by Nazis hiding inside the hollow Earth.