Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery

Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

WGN America Fall 2014 Schedule; OWN's For Better or Worse Returns with a Bang
Summer 2014 Week 17 (Final Week) Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
TVGN to Rebrand as POP; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 22, 2014)
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Part 2; Gillian Jacobs 'Loves' Netflix with New Show for 2016
BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-08-2003, 05:05 AM   #1
jehobden

Default Staircase in the Kitchen

I have noticed by watching Bewitched, and by reading the excellent blueprints for the Stephens house in the book TV Sets, that the interior of the house matches the exterior perfectly, which is amazing, considering other sets, The Brady Bunch comes to mind first, where the interior doesn't look like the exterior at all, or like any kind of layout resembling a real house. Bewitched did mess up its perfect layout though around the 7th season by putting a staircase into the kitchen. I can't figure out why it was added, and according the the architectural layout, it would go up to an edge of the house where the roof meets the first floor, so I have no idea where in the house it goes. I guess maybe it could go up to that patio over the garage. In any case, I can never figure out why so many sitcom kitchens have staircases going into them. I have only been in one house that I can remember w/ multiple staircases, and it was about the size of a mansion, certainly not a typical middle-class house that would be depicted in a sitcom. Does anyone remember anyone ever using this staircase or when it was introduced? I gave the 7th season as a date when I think I first saw it because it showed up in the 7th season Christmas ep "Sisters at Heart".
Old 06-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Mysty Eyes
Dreaming...

My sister & brother-in-law have a house where there is a staircase that pretty much leads into the kitchen. It actually leads down to the little entryway of the back door entrance off of the driveway, but you have to turn left at the bottom of the stairs in order to leave the house. If you simply continue to walk straight ahead as you finish descending the steps, you walk right into the kitchen. The staircase was an add-on feature made by the previous owners, who had added a second story to the original house.

As far as the Stephens' house, hmm... I don't really remember the back stairway, except as a brief fleeting thought recollected by your post. So... nope, I don't remember any explanation for it in the show.

Maybe they remodeled?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
Arfies
Forum Regular
Memberific

Location: There beneath the blue suburban skies, in summer, meanwhile back....
Send a message via AIM to Arfies Send a message via Yahoo to Arfies

I like how Bewitched made the extra effort to have the exterior and interior match up pretty well, even duplicating the front door and walkway on the indoor sets to have it be more realistic.

It irks me to see shows like "Full House" or "Smart Guy" with those HUGE living rooms, a front door leading to nowhere on the side, stairs leading up to nowhere, and you NEVER see ceilings. They don't fit up with the "establishing" shot of the outdoor house in the least- which the cast never actually goes outside of it or anything.....
Old 06-08-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
TV Guy

I think it's a bit harder to have the interiors and exteriors match up when the show is filmed in front of a studio audience, because the set designers have to be careful of obstructing the audience view. (That's why you also don't see ceilings on the three-camera/studio audience shows.) Look at how the "Happy Days" house matched until it started filming in front of an audience and the set was redesigned. "Bewitched" was filmed with one-camera and without an audience.

That said, I agree -- the "Full House" set isn't even close.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
hch
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to hch Send a message via Yahoo to hch
Default Good explanation fo the kitchen

Go to http://www.harpiesbizarre.com and find out about the consistencies and inconsistencies of the entire Stephens house throughout the show.

Willona from "Good Times"
Old 06-10-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
jehobden

Thanks for the www.harpiesbizarre.com link. I always did wonder why no one came down the kitchen stairway. The site also shows a lot of the reuse of props and sets both on Bewitched and between Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. It also shows a still pic from Sisters at Heart, which I mentioned previously, where you can see the phony staircase in the back.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs down

That kitchen staircase, like the rest of the Stephens' decor in the 1970s, was HIDEOUS!! Give me the old look anyday!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Tis true! And the fact we never had an on-air explanation for the set changes really gets my goat!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
Tis true! And the fact we never had an on-air explanation for the set changes really gets my goat!
Good point.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Glad to see another BW lover!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Glad to see another BW lover!
Same to you!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #12
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Smile Dummy

Quote:
I understood that there was a fire on the set and the kitchen got damaged. Seems like they could have put it back instead constructing something new that didn't seem to match.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
I understood that there was a fire on the set and the kitchen got damaged. Seems like they could have put it back instead constructing something new that didn't seem to match.
I agree - the whole 1970s decor looked awful. I too would've tried to reconstruct that set to look the way it did before.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Jude The Obscure
Retired

To me, an explanation of "Darrin got a big bonus at McMann and Tate, so we decided to remodel the kitchen" etc would have sufficed.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
McGillicuddy

Heres something interesting-- In the early 1970's movie Brian's Song about Football players Brian Picallo and Gale Sayers, The Sayers' Are living in the Stephens' house. Brian goes to visit Gale, and I remember seeing the entryway, the stairs and the hallway, and they go down to the basement through what was a closet door in the hallway.