Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery

Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th Anniversary in September Hosted by Erin Murphy (Tabitha); Paramount Announces New Comedy for Web
TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
gregrob
Frequent Poster

Default first tv couple in a double bed

Bewitched broke the double bed barrier by allowing Samantha and Darrin to be shown in a double bed although the show never seems to get the credit for it. People mistakenly say the Brady Bunch or All in the Family was the first show to have a couple shown in a double bed. Although Darrin and Samantha do keep their distance in the bed, the show still does deserve credit for being brave enough to break the double bed barrier. I often wonder how the censors of 1964 decided to allow this. I can never find any real significant info on it. Anybody know how allowing a couple to be shown in a double bed came to be?
Old 05-11-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
pandora_spocks
Forum Veteran

Never really thought about it that way. Could you imagine Samantha and Darrin in separate beds? It makes me wonder how Rob and Laura or even Lucy and Ricky had kids. Must've been real magic..hehe.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
Sean Snow
Forum Veteran
moo

There was a show before Bewitched where the two main characters slept in the same bed - Mary Kay & Johnny, which ran from the late '40s into the very early '50s. Mary Kay and Johnny were married in real life and on the show, so the censors allowed them to be shown in the same bed.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Arfies
Forum Regular
Memberific

Location: There beneath the blue suburban skies, in summer, meanwhile back....

I heard about Mary Kay & Johnny too, and did some research: Turns out that married couples sleeping in the same bed wasn't really a big deal until 1951, when the television code expressly forbid it.

So in that sense, Bewitched was breaking barriers. And Dick York and Elizabeth Montgomery weren't married in "real life".
Old 06-01-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
WstrnElect
Occasional Poster

Default Double Bed

I did not know about Mary Kay and Johnny, so technically I guess that was the first one. I have said for years that Bewitched broke the double bed barrier, and considering the Television Code changes that took place in 1951, it should remain as the first "modern" show to hold the honor.

I recently learned that the Hayes Commission, which was primarily responsible for all of the ridiculous censorship in movies and television through the middle part of the 20th century, had its roots in a national Catholic organization in the 1930's. Of course, we all know now how effective that censorship was within the Church itself.

One of the things I loved about BW, especially in the earliest episodes, was the way EM and DY were able to portray a very strong underlying sexual vibe. In the premiere, when Darrin and Samantha are just about to enter the bedroom on their honeymoon, Samantha decides that this is the moment to tell Darrin she is a witch. She says "Let's talk", and then the way Dick York says "WHAT!?" is nothing less than Emmy material. An absolutely classic scene.

OK, now that I've defended Bewitched's place in TV history, I have to point something else out. It actually shares the double bed honor with another series, which also premiered in 1964. Any guesses? You probably won't believe the answer.

Kurt
Old 06-01-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Arfies
Forum Regular
Memberific

Location: There beneath the blue suburban skies, in summer, meanwhile back....

The Munsters.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #7
WstrnElect
Occasional Poster

Yes, the Munsters is the correct answer. You guys are good.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
Novarro
Frequent Poster

Yeah isn't that strange. "The Brady Bunch" is ALWAYS credited as being the first series to show the husband and wife sharing the same bed but Samantha and Darrin always slept together right from 1964. Bewitched once again as in alot of things was ahead of its time.
Simon
Old 06-09-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
Novarro
Frequent Poster

And.... Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York were so perfect together that they really looked like a real life married couple. I could NEVER imagine those two in seperate beds it would have ruined the great chemistry between them and (being naughty here) I always thought that Sam and Darren would have had a wonderful sex life anyway as they were always hugging and kissing on the show!
Simon
Old 06-16-2003, 02:19 AM   #10
Just Popped In
Forum Regular
Lucy & Ricky forever

Last edited by Just Popped In : 08-08-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:28 AM   #11
Just Popped In
Forum Regular
Lucy & Ricky forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarro
And.... Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York were so perfect together that they really looked like a real life married couple. I could NEVER imagine those two in seperate beds it would have ruined the great chemistry between them and (being naughty here) I always thought that Sam and Darren would have had a wonderful sex life anyway as they were always hugging and kissing on the show!
Simon

I always wonder how awkward that must have felt for the director William Asher, having been Liz's husband and all.

Sanity is simply the ability of the mind to adjust to reality. If we can't adjust, we either hide from reality, or we put ourselves above life, where we're super-beings who don't have to follow the rules.
~Sidney Sheldon ("The Naked Face")

Old 08-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #12
Joeytrom
Frequent Poster

Ozzie and Harriet slept in the same bed on their show (though not in the first season) from 1953 on.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
shocolah
Forum Regular
Bring Back The Wonder Years!!!

I am almost 100 percent positive that in one ep of "I Love Lucy", Fred and Ethel shared the same bed. I think it was the one where all four of them were staying at this place and there was a train that kept going by which shook the entire room. They kept switching beds around (not the one where Lucy tried to sleep in the hammock and she kept falling out of it)...but at one point, Fred and Ethel decided to share the big double bed for a minute or two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure I've seen this one a couple of times.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:08 PM   #14
TVgen62
Forum Regular
My baby! <aawww>

Quote:
Originally posted by WstrnElect
Yes, the Munsters is the correct answer. You guys are good.

Bewitched premiered 09/17/64, one week before The Munsters (which premiered 09/24/64).
Bewitched - ep. #4, "Mother, Meet What's His Name"
Old 08-07-2003, 01:41 AM   #15
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shocolah
I am almost 100 percent positive that in one ep of "I Love Lucy", Fred and Ethel shared the same bed. I think it was the one where all four of them were staying at this place and there was a train that kept going by which shook the entire room. They kept switching beds around (not the one where Lucy tried to sleep in the hammock and she kept falling out of it)...but at one point, Fred and Ethel decided to share the big double bed for a minute or two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure I've seen this one a couple of times.
you're right about that "I Love Lucy" episode, which aired in Jan. 1955 (it's one of the shows "Hollywood episodes") and that has been mentioned as the first show to have a married couple "hit the sheets". However, some people don't count it, as it was a comic scene. It's also been mentioned that "The Flintstones" was also the first show to show it, but, again, some people don't count that because it was animated. Also, sometimes Fred & Wilma had a double bed & sometimes they had single beds.

from CHEERS-
Coach: "Norm, how come you & Vera never had any kids?"
Norm: "I can't Coach."
Coach: "Oh gee, I'm sorry"
Norm: "I look at Vera and I just...can't."