Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Diff'rent Strokes Online / Diff'rent Strokes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Dana Plato Yahoo Group / Diff'rent Strokes Photo Gallery

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Diff'rent Strokes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #31
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Talking

Why did you not like sam
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
needles1987
Frequent Poster

He annoyed me.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 AM   #33
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by needles1987
He annoyed me.

Sam's whole precocious, wide-eyed country boy act got really corny and grating really fast.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #34
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob

i think it sucked with sam
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #35
Rod8456
Occasional Poster

I liked his character.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #36
bgva
Forum Regular

Didn't mind him, although the country accent was pretty bad.

I didn't mind the final season, but that revamped theme song was also pretty bad lol...
Old 09-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #37
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanj2004
Talk about jumping the shark! JtS moment #6!

New Kid in town...Sam!!!

Like Laverne and Shirley, I hold this show to also jump twice in the same time period. Why? B/C:

It jumped when:

- Mr. Drummond got married to Maggie (yes, two actresses played the same role)

- And the addition of Sam, the equivalent of the addition of Olivia on the Cosby Show and why Cobsy JtS'd later on as well!

I couldn't stand Sam, b/c he kept on asking too many stupid questions at the wrong times!

I also couldn't stomach the last two seasons also, b/c:

-ABC screwed DS big time, especially since Webster was also on that network
-And of all three Embassy Television shows (DS, Facts of Life, and Silver Spoons in particular) that updated their themes in their later seasons, DS has the worst-sounding theme update of the three!

Curses to the Sam-era eps.!!!

I couldn't stand Sam either, from his country accent (even if it was real) to his bad hairdo. It seemed a lot of these "New Kids" had bad [long] hair, from Cousin Oliver (Though he didn't look as bad w/ it, somehow.) to Ricky Stevens on The Partridge Family and even Andrew Keaton on Family Ties. Maybe they were all trying to look like the original annoying kid actor, Mason Reese.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #38
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
Maybe they were all trying to look like the original annoying kid actor, Mason Reese.

I googled Mason Reese and stumbled across your worst nightmare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=dj4leeQVG8M
Old 09-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #39
marlins3
Forum Regular

Sam was awful. The episode where he gets kidnapped should have been a highlight of the show. Unfortunately, he was returned to the Drummonds.

That episode is very unrealistic. If anybody kidnapped him in real life, they would have been so annoyed that they would have returned him within 2 hours.

Bo and Luke Duke never should have helped Sam either (I forget what Danny Cooksey's name was in the Dukes of Hazzard episode in which he appeared).

he also should have been shunned as the fake Ben ("who's that weenie?") in that episode of Growing Pains. I hope Mr. Cooksey has a prosperous life, but he was the most annoying child actor of the 80's.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:27 AM   #40
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default What TV character manages to ruin a show you like?

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-t...how-you-230712

Quote:
Will Harris

I’m answering this with the caveat that the show was clearly already past its sell-by date at that point anyway, but in my mind, there has always been a direct correlation between my falling out of love with Diff’rent Strokes and the arrival of Sam McKinney, played by Danny Cooksey. Sam—the red-headed 7-year-old son of Mr. Drummond’s new love interest, Maggie—joined the series during its sixth season, and he was absolutely insufferable, completely throwing off the balance of the show. I don’t blame Cooksey, who earned redemption for his sins by virtue of his work in Terminator 2: Judgement Day, not to mention his subsequent career as a voice actor. But his character cemented my recognition of when a family-centric show is attempting to survive the aging of the kids in its cast by bringing in new kids to regurgitate the gags that the old kids used to deliver. Instead of attempting to evolve and move forward, Diff’rent Strokes made a conscious effort to maintain the status quo, and it failed miserably: After Sam moved in, I tuned out. Thankfully, I didn’t know until after the fact that the show had done an episode where Sam was kidnapped. I probably would’ve rooted for the kidnapper.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #41
WalterTheDrinker
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughpuppies
Family Ties added Andy later in the show.
Interestingly enough, while it seems like Family Ties brought the Andy character in later in the show's run, Elyse became pregnant with Andy in the second episode of season 3. It was quite an early development in the show's run.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #42
WalterTheDrinker
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
I never liked Sam. At that point, Diff'rent Strokes was already dying and Sam was just the final nail in the coffin. Diff'rent Strokes should have ended on a high note like Sienfeld.
Seinfeld actually stunk towards the end, and the extremely hyped final episode was absolutely awful.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #43
'80sSitcoms

^---Technically that would be "stank", but I actually loved the series finale, lol :-)
Old 08-06-2016, 01:13 AM   #44
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiedoo30
Why did you not like sam

Sam was in essence, the '80s equivalent to "Cousin Oliver". Arnold was at an age where they could have focused on some of his growing pains, but instead he was always shown hanging out and babysitting (with Willis giving little to do most of the time) a precocious kid a few years younger than himself.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #45
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughpuppies
He played on Salute Your Shorts which only lasted one year.

Like Growing Pains added Christine(Ashley Johnson to the show when it was almost over, and suddenly in a year she went from a baby to like 5 years old.)

Step by Step added (Emily Mae Young and in a year she went from a baby to 5 years old.)

Brady Bunch added Cousin Oliver.

Gimme a Break added Joey Lawarance real life brother to the show right before it went off the air(Mathew Lawarance)

Fresh Prince added Nikki(played on movie Little Rascels and went from a baby to like almost 5 in a year or so.)

Murphy Brown had a baby like 2 years before show went off the air.

Roseanne had Darlene have a baby right before it went off the air.

Family Ties added Andy later in the show.

Don't know why shows have to add kids, or have more than one person play the same character, or yet get a new character if one of the regulars leave.

Then they have disappearing character with no explaination at all. Like Happy Days Chuck, Family Matters Judy, Barney Miller his wife suddenly disappeared.
And Full House added Nicky and Alex Katsopolis.