Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Re: last season was very weak-few bright spots

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Thong
I didn't watch the final season that much when it was first aired nor in reruns, so I don't remember Edna leaving Laverne's pop. Could you elaborate on this - give the reason why she left? Was it something they built up to, or was it just an abrupt departure?

Thanks!

That's a WaCKY departure for Edna to run off with another man.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #17
Joeytrom
Frequent Poster

Edna was last seen during the 1980-1981 season (first year in California). She was only referred to in the next two seasons. In the last season, they air episodes out of order as Laverne arranges a blind date for her father in one episode and a few weeks later Frank tells Laverne that Edna left him!

As Betty Garrett had left the series, they should have just killed Edna off instead of they way they wrote the character out. It didn't seem right.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #18
AtlantaBravesFan29
Atlanta Braves Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Flash72
It is obvious though that Shirley marrying and becoming pregnant was not necessarily meant to serve as a departure for Cindy Williams. The reason I say this is because in Cindy's last episode, the one in which Laverne and Shirley agree to stay in a department store window and due to hypnosis begin acting like chickens, it is indicated that Shirley is staying around. The episode clearly states that while Shirley is married, due to her husband Walter being shipped overseas, she would continue to live with Laverne for a year. I think the situation with Cindy and the producers resulted in this scenario changing suddenly and Shirley joining her husband overseas.
Cindy Williams was pregnant in real life not her character which meant the producers had to do something thus Shirley joining her husband overseas and Cindy leaving the show.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:21 PM   #19
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BravesFan712002
Cindy Williams was pregnant in real life not her character.

I don't think I ever saw the last season. Which is why I'm glad L&S is coming to Lifetime in March.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #20
Flash72
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by BravesFan712002
Cindy Williams was pregnant in real life not her character which meant the producers had to do something thus Shirley joining her husband overseas and Cindy leaving the show.

I have to defend my statement in saying that while Cindy was pregnant in real life, her character on the show was as well. If some station ever airs the series again, you will see this to be true.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #21
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Flash72
I have to defend my statement in saying that while Cindy was pregnant in real life, her character on the show was as well. If some station ever airs the series again, you will see this to be true.

Well i will find out in 2004 since L&S is coming to Lifetime. With two episodes a day, i would say the last season will be on around May
Old 02-01-2004, 08:50 PM   #22
AtlantaBravesFan29
Atlanta Braves Fan

I have just learned something through the TVTOME site that Cindy appeared in the first 2 episodes of the last season. The first one was the episode where she married Walter Meeny,the second one,the last one that Cindy was in was the episode where they are demonstrating the house of the future at the department store.It goes into further detail about Shirley being a roommate for a year because of Walter going into the military. Then in the 3rd episode,that was when Laverne finds out that Shirley had left a note saying that she was going overseas to be with Walter.

I guess I must have missed the part about Shirley being pregnant,it has been quite a while since I have watched Laverne and Shirley.I know of the episode where they are demonstrating the house of the future. Thanks for clarifying in detail.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #23
TV Guy

When Cindy became pregnant in real life, the original plan was to have Shirley become pregnant as well and continue living with Laverne while her husband was overseas. That's why Shirley announces she's pregnant at the end of her last episode (the one where they live in the house of the future). The producers knew that the show was running out of gas and hoped that the baby would give them some material for new storylines.

But Cindy and the producers had a disagreement over her schedule and her compensation -- the producers felt that if Cindy was going to work less, then she should be paid less. Cindy disagreed, and wound up leaving abruptly after filming the second episode of the 82-83 season. That's why Shirley was quickly written out of the show -- she doesn't even appear in the episode where Shirley's departure is explained.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #24
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TV Guy
When Cindy became pregnant in real life, the original plan was to have Shirley become pregnant as well and continue living with Laverne while her husband was overseas. That's why Shirley announces she's pregnant at the end of her last episode (the one where they live in the house of the future). The producers knew that the show was running out of gas and hoped that the baby would give them some material for new storylines.

But Cindy and the producers had a disagreement over her schedule and her compensation -- the producers felt that if Cindy was going to work less, then she should be paid less. Cindy disagreed, and wound up leaving abruptly after filming the second episode of the 82-83 season. That's why Shirley was quickly written out of the show -- she doesn't even appear in the episode where Shirley's departure is explained.

Cindy said she didn;t want more money, she just wanted her hours in writing and she said the producers refused. Then she said the producers stated she couldn't do the job because she was pregnant.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #25
TV Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcom Analyzer
Cindy said she didn;t want more money, she just wanted her hours in writing and she said the producers refused. Then she said the producers stated she couldn't do the job because she was pregnant.

Cindy didn't ask for more money -- the producers wanted to reduce her salary in exchange for reducing her working hours. She wanted to make the same amount of money she was making before.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #26
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TV Guy
Cindy didn't ask for more money -- the producers wanted to reduce her salary in exchange for reducing her working hours. She wanted to make the same amount of money she was making before.

Well that's what Cindy said in a 1982 TV Guide Interview She said she did not want more money.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #27
TV Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcom Analyzer
Well that's what Cindy said in a 1982 TV Guide Interview She said she did not want more money.

No, she didn't want more money, but she didn't want to take a salary cut, either, and that's what Garry Marshall wanted her to do in exchange for the reduced schedule. At least that was what was being reported in the press at the time. But ultimately, only the parties involved know what really happened.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #28
bb25
Forum Regular

I've seen some eps from the last season, and they're not really bad. I'm not a big fan of the California eps, so of course I'm not going to love the last season...it will be interesting to see again though...
Old 03-03-2004, 06:42 PM   #29
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally posted by bb25
I've seen some eps from the last season, and they're not really bad. I'm not a big fan of the California eps, so of course I'm not going to love the last season...it will be interesting to see again though...

The one with Carrie Fisher wasn't bad, but Shirley leaving the show was the final nail in the coffin. Laverne alone is like the sound of one hand clapping.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #30
Rockapella722
.B.A.D.G.E.R. .G.I.R.L.

Send a message via AIM to Rockapella722

Last season stunk, don't even bother.

Lenny was gone, Shirley was gone... no magic left. I never watch those episodes.

...Queer Eye For The Straight Guy...

"You guys, look. This is my pile of stuff I don't like..... is it getting too big?"
-Thom Filicia

| livejournal | email |