Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
PeggySue
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to PeggySue
Default "Henry Pushing 60!"Current interview with Henry, in Toledo newspaper

Hi everyone! I thought you all would be interested in this article about Henry, just found it online today. Henry is such a sweetheart, and still very busy.

PeggySue

"Henry Winkler Pushing 60!" new interview online

Henry 'Fonz' Winkler, pushing 60, is now a family man

Friday, March 28, 2003

By ANN WEBER, Toledo Blade

It's as though the Fonz has turned into Richie's dad.

Henry Winkler who became a star as hip dropout Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli on the ABC sitcom Happy Days from 1974-1984 is Mr. Solid Citizen: a husband and father of three who supports charitable causes and juggles acting, producing, directing, and writing.

"I work seven days a week," says Winkler, 57, "without complaint."

One of his recent touring stops was a one-man show in Toledo, Ohio, a fundraiser for support programs for children with chronic illnesses and their families.

Most of Winkler's charitable projects involve children, an interest that developed well before he became a parent.

It started when he was in high school in New York, he said, when he worked as a counselor in after-school programs.

"I don't know why, but I relate better to children than anybody. Being dyslexic, when I was in school it was always difficult. I was always at the bottom of my class. I had very little self-esteem," said Winkler, who wasn't diagnosed with the learning disability until he was 31. He said that having to struggle made him sympathetic to children who face a challenge of any kind.

Professionally, many of his projects reflect a connection with children and young people as well. He said he's currently executive consultant for "Strange Days at Blake Holsey High," which airs Saturday mornings on Discovery Kids on NBC.

"It seems like a possessed high school," Winkler explained, "but every story is based on actual science."

Desks burst into flames, water runs up walls, and teachers disappear, setting up mysteries that five Holsey High teens investigate. Viewers just might learn something, "but it is first a wonderful entertainment," he added.

The executive producer of "Hollywood Squares" and "MacGyver" said he's also working on a "Young MacGyver" pilot for The WB, and will have two books published in May by Penguin Putnam.

The books are the beginning of a series of six, co-written with Lin Oliver, about "Hank Zizper, the World's Greatest Underachiever," Winkler said. Hank is a fourth-grader who happens to be dyslexic.

"I'm very proud of these books," Winkler said. "They are funny and emotional and really integrate the fact that this kid has a learning challenge."

Young readers who don't have dyslexia will find the books merely fun, he said. "For those kids that do, they'll see that 'I'm not alone,' because it really is from my life."

Winkler said he never imagined he'd be an author. "It was hard for me to read, let alone write," he pointed out.

"I thought I was just going to be an actor," Winkler said and even that got off to an uncertain start after he was cast as Fonzie on "Happy Days."

"I worked for one day a week in the beginning," he said. The Fonz was just a minor character at first, tossed in to add some edge to the story of Milwaukee high school pals Richie Cunningham and Warren "Potsie" Weber.

"Then all of the sudden it just took off," Winkler said. In time, he moved to second billing, behind Ron Howard, in the opening credits.

Winkler said he can't explain the character's popularity (the show has attracted viewers in 126 countries), nor its longevity (it lives on through Nick at Nite).

The role earned Winkler two Golden Globe awards for best actor in a comedy series and three Emmy nominations in the same category, and led to many more television and film roles.

And the Fonz hasn't done too badly, either his black leather jacket hangs in the Smithsonian.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
animalcrackers

Thanks so much PeggySue! I love reading anything on the cast of HD. Henry is the type that will never slow down. It's good he is so active.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
HDfanLiz
Forum Regular

Thanks for posting this! I love hearing anything about Henry.