Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Thumbs up What do I win?

I know! I know! (My hand is wildly waving.) I read that Don actually cut his finger off while he was working in his shop making some wood item, furniture? The electric saw he was using cut off his finger, it had to be sewed back on and his hand was in that cast we see in the first season. So, how'd I do, was I pretty much right?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD4
Well, you all are somewhat in the ballpark as to why my Dad did not continue with the Hazel series. Real answer: he was holding out for more money because he believed that his value was greater than his compensation. Let history be the judge...and when I have time I'll tell you why my Dad had his hand bandaged in several episodes. Hint: It wasn't the dog that bit him :-)
I agree with your Dad. What made Hazel work was the relationship between Hazel and the Baxters ( George and Dorothy). I never did warm up to the new Baxters.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
Michelle66
Occasional Poster

Hazel is on Atenna TV which switched today to WDCWDT2 . Thank you Commander Benson for answering what happened to the original Baxters. I tuned in today to a new family with Harold and was so confused.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
peppypacer
Frequent Poster

Why did the Baxters even need Hazel or a maid? They had one school age kid and they lived in a regular size house. I guess Mr B hired Hazel because of his wife who worked at decorating once in a blue moon and I guess she didn't want to be bothered with housework. You'd think Hazel would have been a bit nicer to Mr B, he gave her a place to live, a salary and yet she still rudely criticizes him about all sorts of things like his weight, not taking his son to some lame event, etc.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppypacer
Why did the Baxters even need Hazel or a maid? They had one school age kid and they lived in a regular size house. I guess Mr B hired Hazel because of his wife who worked at decorating once in a blue moon and I guess she didn't want to be bothered with housework. You'd think Hazel would have been a bit nicer to Mr B, he gave her a place to live, a salary and yet she still rudely criticizes him about all sorts of things like his weight, not taking his son to some lame event, etc.

Hazel had worked for Missy's family before she was employed by the Baxters, so that's why Hazel. Why a maid at all can be explained by looking at George and looking at Dorothy and realizing that she holds all the leverage in the relationship.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Exclamation Righting Wrongs and Blowing Steam

First off, I have always wondered, as the person above also notes, Hazel has NO housing bills, no rent, no mortgage, no car (most of the time), no electric, gas, and phone bills, she basically pays for nothing every month except for an occasional pair of shoes. So, here's what I have always wondered, WHY IS HAZEL CONSTANTLY BROKE?? Anytime Hazel has to buy something that costs more than $5 she's suddenly dead broke. No money anywhere, she has to finagle and work around getting the money instead of simply going to the bank and making a small withdrawal on what must be a massive savings account after all the no expense living she does at the Baxters.

That's the first thing, second. (Mind you Hazel is one of my all time favorite shows, so this is not some sourpuss complaining, I really like Hazel, but these are my 2 main long held pet peeves. I watched Hazel when it was on in the '60's and I started watching Hazel again when it finally came back in the late '80's and I've been watching Hazel on weekly basis ever since the '80's, almost 30 years of constant Hazels, it used to be a twice weekly basis ever since I started recording her in the '80's off Family channel and TBS.) OK, back to my second big complaint. If I were Mr. Baxter (either George or Steve, but especially George) I would have fired Hazel the second time she ever did not do what I wanted her to do, undermined me, worked actively against me (as she often does) or contradicted me or insulted me (as she always does). Hazel would have been gone by the second episode of the series. Now this would have made a bad TV sitcom decision but the only wise decision Mr. B could have made if this were real life. No wonder he had high blood pressure. I think the only TV sitcom reason Mr. B didn't fire her was Dorothy's constant threats to leave him if he dared to do the right thing and go against Hazel. Sadly it seems Mr. B was p... whipped.

I think after the end of the current 5th season that I'm now in the middle of, I will finally give my Hazel watching a hiatus. Maybe a year or 2 off and I may then come back to Hazel with more welcoming arms. At this point I boil over every time she goes up against Mr. B. Making me madder is why Mr. B doesn't just fire her. This is my constant question now as I watch this series, this is a change for me. I used to love watching, now, sadly (for me) I don't.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
stevea

I think you nailed it when you mentioned Dorothy's threats to leave him if he fired Hazel. He knows that Hazel has been with Dorothy since she was a little girl. Letting Hazel go would also devastate Harold.

Remember when George was all set to fire Hazel (I think it was when she blabbed about his judge appointment--a note about that--I really can't blame Hazel for that one, since George didn't tell her to keep it to herself) and she cut him off by saying, "I love you, Mr. B."? She had a way of taking the wind out of his sails, and this one was particularly touching.

On the other hand, I try to put myself in George's place when she ordered him to bed (and, on top of that, Mr. Griffin). I think she would be gone, if that had been me.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #23
retroTVfan4ever

I look at it from the viewpoint that it's a TV show. This was Shirley Booth's show, she was the star, so of course Hazel would never be fired even though there might have been times she would have deserved to be fired. Poor Mr. Baxter, whether it be George or Steve, they might have been the men of their households but Hazel was the boss and really the one in charge. I like watching the show but Hazel's buttinsky ways can get irritating after awhile.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever : 05-01-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #24
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I think sometimes when we watch multiple eps, we lose the sense of more gentle familiarity the viewers originally got -- what was originally not TOO tiresome or stale can become so (I'm currently watching about 15 eps per week: 10 on Antenna and 5 on WHME).

The running gag of Hazel always reminding Mr. B to change his socks is a good example. Combined with the barbs about his weight, Hazel comes off as a persistent nuisance. But I don't think she comes off quite as strong if we're only watching one ep per week, the original pacing. It just reinforces her character.

I like also that Hazel goes right to work on "Mr. Steve [Baxter]" at the start of the final season, counting his vitamin pills to see if he took one. This type of thing shows a really good grasp of the character in the scripting.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 05-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #25
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Default Hazel Has Driven Me Over The Edge, I'm Crackin' Up

Ahh, now there, I just boiled again thinking about it. That was a perfect example of where I would have fired Hazel on the spot if she tried force feeding me vitamins, esp. as she did in front of business clients!! Hazel would have been gone in an instant.

This is where I boil everytime when watching nowadays, everytime Hazel acts in her outrageous disrespect of Mr. B's (George or Steve) I want to scream and many times I actually do yell out, FIRE HER! I tell you I really need to take a break from watching Hazel, I never used to feel like this when watching, but now I just blow my top FOR Mr. B and am furious they don't speak up and fire her after repeated offenses. (And yes I did cut my Hazel watching down to once a week for the past couple of years since I was getting so angry almost every time I watched. But it hasn't changed me, the once a week plan didn't work, I still get furious.

Maybe I'm just getting old and no longer have patience with people like this, because I used to love watching Hazel, I really did, I never had this reaction of extreme anger. I'm worried about me. )