Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-05-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
*ShortCake*
Blair Warner fan.

Default Favorite Ron Howard Movie?

whats your favorite ron howard movie( which he is in/directed) I loved American Graffiti.. I had to rent it lol.. and The Grinch. I am a big The Grinch fan. I thought he did an awesome job there! I havent seen A beautiful Mind yet though!

"Nice girls don't throw tree's"- Jo Polniaczek.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:41 PM   #2
C Doody
Forum Legend
Captain Juke N Jive

Send a message via MSN to C Doody

I seen one he was in once on Mystery Science Theatre 3000 called Vilage Of The Giants, thats about the only one i ever seen.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:02 PM   #3
PeggySue
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to PeggySue

Great question, Shortcake! (Love your name, by the way!) I should warn you my answer is long-winded, but I did mention that I have liked Ron for a long time. And I guess I am making up my own rules too, I can't just pick one movie in any area.

I have seen almost all of Ron's acting roles, and all of his directing efforts for theater, but only 2 of his TV directing stints. I would have to divide his acting roles between his childhood roles and those when he was older.

As a child actor, he was just wonderful in Courtship of Eddie's Father. He was in almost the entire movie, and he truly stole the scene every time he was on camera. He was incredibly appealing and just lit up the screen. It is interesting and IMHO far better to see the wide-creen version, as the movie was filmed with long takes with few cutaways to 2 characters speaking. You really get to see how good Ron's acting was in the widescreen version. This isn't so obvious in the pan and scan (full screen) version, and the movie is a bit butchered when seen this way, with cuts between the 2 actors in various scenes. You kind of have to see both to appreciate the difference. The widescreen version often runs on TCM, and I have seen the full screen version on Cinemax. Ron obviously remembered all his lines and delivered them so naturally and with understated emotion, even when so young. He was nominated for an award, the Laurel award, for the top new male personality, and it is interesting that all the other nominees(10 total) were adults, including Peter O'Toole. I thought Ron's acting was very natural, and he didn't just stand and recite lines, but would be doing other things in a scene, which he obviously had to remember to do also. He was also great in Music Man, again very natural and only 6 years old when filming, but this would be my very close second choice, if forced to pick. This was the first role I ever saw Ron in, when I was a kid, and after that I began watching Andy Giffith. He was also very good in Village of the Giants, a truly awful B movie that is just plain hilarious to watch for the ridiculousness of it all. Beau Bridges is in it also. Ron plays a character named Genius.

From his older acting days, I would call it a tie between The Migrants and Bitter Harvest. (I have both movies and in fact they are both available now on ebay...actually there are 3 listings for Bitter Harvest and I just bid on one of them, as my copy was from taping from TV). Both were TV movies and both were nominated for multiple Emmy Awards (not Ron though). The Migrants is a just a beautiful movie with Cloris Leachmann and Sissy Spacek also staring, and the acting by all is really, really good. Cloris and Ron are the 2 leads, and Sissy and Ron play siblings, the children of Cloris. Truly a haunting movie. AND!!! guess who plays Ron's girlfriend?? Cindy Williams!!! Again. She is great also. Did you know Cindy is 7 years older than Ron? I always liked Ron and Cindy together, I thought they had great chemistry

Bitter Harvest was one of Ron's last acting roles, and he was again the lead character. Seeing this made me regret that Ron no longer acts, he was just great and played a range of emotion incredibly well. He plays a dairy farmer and in one scene he delivers a newborn calf and it didn't seem faked. Another very haunting movie. Art Carney of Jackie Gleason fame was a co-star.

As for movies Ron has directed, it is hard to choose, because all of them are so different. I would again call it a tie between A Beautiful Mind (and you haven't seen it, Shortcake???) and Apollo 13. I have seem both numerous times, and I thought the acting in both was near perfection. Russell Crowe (another favorite of mine, so different from Ron) completely disappeared into his role as John Nash, one of the greatest performances (IMHO) ever filmed. Loved how the stories flowed and held my interest throughout (and of course I lived through the events of Apollo 13 and yet it was still suspenseful). I think Ron does his best work with dramas, he is a very sensitive director and the performances are always very nuanced by his actors. For comedy, I just loved Parenthood, sentimental, but with so much depth in each character and such awareness of human frailty.

Trivia....Does anyone else know that Jason Robards, whom Ron directed in both Parenthhood and The Paper, made his screen debut in The Journey, which was the film in which Ron also made his screen debut at age 4? Ron can be connected with almost everyone in Hollywood, he's been around so long.

Sooo...Have any of you seen these movies (especially these old ones), and if so what do you think?

(Is it too obvious I like Ron?)
Old 12-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #4
*ShortCake*
Blair Warner fan.

LOL I know.. i am a bad child.. I havent seen A Beautiful Mind yet. I hear Russell Crowe is brilliant though . Thanks for the compliment on my name.. I used to be TurnBlue ( From the Facts of life) But i had to change it to this hehe. I love Andy Griffith too.. and for the fact that Ron is in it .
Old 12-06-2002, 05:19 PM   #5
jamier42

My favorite movies of Ron Howard's are A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
Forum Legend
MISS APRIL

Location: Parsonsfield ME Shaws - Screwing my way up the employment ladder!
Send a message via AIM to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤ Send a message via Yahoo to ¤I Love Clay Aiken¤

American Grafitti!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:40 PM   #7
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤MsConanOBrien¤
American Grafitti!!!
Ditto.