Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hogan's Heroes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hogan's Heroes Photo Gallery

Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hogan's Heroes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TVGN to Rebrand as POP; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 22, 2014)
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Part 2; Gillian Jacobs 'Loves' Netflix with New Show for 2016
BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk
Centic Fall 2014 Schedule; Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies to Move to Hallmark Channel
Summer 2014 Week 16 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilots Coming Together for 2015-2016 TV Season (and a Full House Update); New VEI Releases

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #1
buddy love
Frequent Poster

Default Did Richard Dawson like Bob Crane?

maybe Dawsongirl knows the answer. Just wondering. I know Bob was a (hypocritical) conservative republican and Richard was (is) a liberal.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #2
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Wink I'm Now the Supreme Authority on All Things Dawson!

No. From what I've read, they really didn't get along too well.

One reason- Richard had originally tried out for the role of Hogan (it's true), but he still had a bit of an accent and the producers wanted someone All-American. So, I think he was a little bitter.

Another reason- even though Richard (often with Larry Hovis) was known to pull some pranks on the set, when it came down to work time, Richard was very professional and expected the same out of everyone. Bob was a bit too laid back about his work and it didn't sit so well with Richard (who, yes, is a perfectionist).

I wish I knew if they ever had any political type debates, but I don't.

Hope that at least answers something.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:35 PM   #3
buddy love
Frequent Poster

Thank you for your response. I never knew that Richard wanted to play Hogan. That would have been pretty interesting casting me thinks. It's sad what happened to Bob Crane--no one deserves that--but it must have bugged him that while he (Bob) was reduced to performing at dinner theatres that Richard had become very popular on both the Match Game and Family Feud--sure they were game shows but they attracted big ratings and Dawson certainly reaped the benefits.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:00 PM   #4
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by buddy love
It's sad what happened to Bob Crane--no one deserves that--but it must have bugged him that while he (Bob) was reduced to performing at dinner theatres that Richard had become very popular on both the Match Game and Family Feud--sure they were game shows but they attracted big ratings and Dawson certainly reaped the benefits.

Hmm..that's an interesting point I never thought of. I wonder how much, jealousy, envy, whatever, Bob felt over Dawson's success. Out of all the cast, he (Richard) seems to have become the biggest star thanks to MG, FF, and of course...The Running Man! LOL
Old 10-13-2002, 03:39 AM   #5
Fan of old shows
Forum Regular

Dawson makes everyone he works with hate him.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Fan of old shows
Dawson makes everyone he works with hate him.

Oh come on...that just doesn't make sense. Everyone????
Old 10-13-2002, 09:02 PM   #7
bandito
Going Topless

i know when he did family fued he didnt get along with the writers/ \producers very well he made alot of demands
Old 10-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
Fan of old shows
Forum Regular

there wasnt one nice thing said about Richard Dawson on the Family Feud E story, other than he was a great host which was true. Hell, even Mark Goodson hated Dawson.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:32 PM   #9
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Note that you said everyone, not everyone on Family Feud. What you said means everyone that he ever worked with, which is utter nonsense.

Yes, on Feud he ticked a lot of people off. But you cannot take the word of Howard Felsher as gospel. He didn't like any of the hosts. He was an egomaniac that thought the show should be solely his no matter who the host was. He and Richard butted heads because Richard wouldn't put up with that crap and looking at things, Ray didn't either. Mark stood by Howard for reasons dating back to a time Howard saved his a$$ in the 50s during the quiz show scandals.

Richard happens to still be good friends with his HH costar Larry Hovis, trust me. The E! THS made it sound like Cathy Hughart-Dawson (his ex-daughter-in-law and former producer) was still friendly with him. I'm sure he's still friends with others as well.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Fan of old shows
Forum Regular

I said everyone he works with.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fan of old shows
I said everyone he works with.

I know you said everyone. Everyone, encompassing every single man, woman, and child. That is false. Read what I wrote.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
bandito
Going Topless

who really cares?
Old 10-24-2002, 09:52 PM   #13
joan davis fan
Frequent Poster

Question

wasnt Richard Dawson who introduced John Carpenter ( the man who sold video equipment and was later accused of killing Crane )
to Bob Crane?

There is a pic I saw recently in one of those taboilds taken of Dawson, Crane, and one of Crane's kids beside some early video equipment. Looked like they were friends to me.

Very chilling picture to look at.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:22 PM   #14
D. Ternowski
Occasional Poster

Default Robert Graysmith book

Like dawsongirl, I recall reading somewhere, possibly in the Robert Graysmith book on Bob Crane, where they did not get along but you would not know it from their on screen time together. They looked like friends while filming the show. I didn't know a book on the show existed, but at amazon.com I saw the book:
"Hogan's Heroes: Behind the Scenes at Stalag 13"
by Brenda Scott Royce, Werner Klemperer.

I saw these reviews at amazon.com. I hope it is okay to print them here. The book sounds interesting and I would hope the new Bob Crane movie would focus on the behind the scenes happenings of Hogan's Heroes but I'm sure the movie won't focus too much if anything on that. They will concentrate on what they think the public is more interested in. I think if they would concentrate more on Hogan's Heroes, the movie would be more successful.

"Hogan's Heroes: Behind the Scenes at Stalag 13"
Editorial Reviews
Book Description
If your fondest TV memories involve the POWs of Stalag 13 cleverly outwitting their captors, Schultz stammering "I know nothing!" and Hochstetter threatening to send everyone to the Russian front, then this is the book for you. This fun and informative book takes you behind the scenes of the classic 1960s sitcom to reveal:
- the story behind the creation, production, and eventual cancellation of the series - the controversy surrounding the show's unlikely premise
- interviews with many of the show's stars and crew biographies of the stars and supporting actors
- a detailed guide to each of the 168 episodes
- a guide to collecting Hogan's memorabilia
- and more...

Hogan's Heroes is more popular now than ever before, especially in Germany, where it has become a surprising cult hit. In this book, most of the show's stars and behind-the-scenes personnel share their memories and reflect on the series' enduring popularity.

About the Author
Brenda Scott Royce is a freelance entertainment writer and motion picture reviewer. She is the author of Party of Five: The Unofficial Companion, and has written for Classic TV, Television Chronicles, Television Today, Movie Marketplace, and other periodicals. She resides in Los Angeles, California.

See all editorial reviews...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader Reviews:

An outstanding book on the classic TV show!, June 29, 1999
Reviewer: A reader from South Dakota

Hogan's Heroes is my all-time favorite TV comedy show, not just because of the humor, but because of the interaction of the characters and the World War II setting. I can't think of one single episode throughout the entire course of the series that I don't like for one reason or another. It was well-written, well-acted and well-produced/directed, and deserved more than the few Emmys it received at the time. It's hard to say enough good things about this book, which to date has been the ONLY book on the series! Brenda Scott Royce, herself a long-time fan of the show, did a fantastic job. Just about everything most real fans of this classic and underappreciated TV series could want to find out is here. There are plot synopses of all the episodes of the series and original air dates, sections about each of the main characters/actors, and interesting related information. Only one area is lacking, a slight deficiency of photos. But the end result is still a treasure trove of information, thanks to the author's extensive research and interviews.

Very very complete! Indispensible for Hogans Heroes fans!, July 3, 1999
Reviewer: tom_richard1980@yahoo.com (Tom Richard Mourgos) from San Francisco
This is a very comprehensive edition of this book. It covers just about everything there is to cover about the show, the characters, roles of re-curring actors and more. It's an improvement over the original version that came across as more of a text book. This version has a better color and more eye-appealing graphics inside. The episode guide is very handy while watching episodes from the video collection (mine's from Columbia House). The only drawbacks I can think of is that it could use more color photos and I did notice one trivia answer that was incorrect--The coffee pot is a direct-line hook-up and is not a radio receiver... but aside from minor things like that I heartily recommend this book.

A Must Read!!! for any Hogan's Heroes fan, March 8, 2001
Reviewer: webmaster@hogansheroesfanclub.com
Brenda Scott Royce's book is a great book about Hogan's Heroes. It is very thorough - covering all aspects of the show : history, cast, collectibles and highlights of each episode.

Brenda Scott Royce is also the founder of the Hogan's Heroes Fan Club....

Whets the appitite, January 4, 2001
Reviewer: marylinus (see more about me) from Scarborough, ON Canada
The moment I receive the box containing this book, I gobbled it up [the book, not the box]. A much appreciated 'Red Cross package' for any Hogan's Heroes fan. I particularly enjoyed the episode guide portion. Although it is not a blast by blast account of every bit of dialogue or mayhem per episode [great pity], it is still more detailed than other episode guides of other sit. coms.

The few disappointments: 1) Very few pictures, and those that are there are in black and white. 2) Not enough lengthly descriptions of my favorite bits in each plot summary. Still, the author would need to put in every line in every script to satisfy me completely.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:47 PM   #15
Fan of old shows
Forum Regular

i in many ways am just like Dawson. i get big headed when im in charge and i just want things my way cuz thats how i think it will be right. and thats gonna get me hated one day because im probably impossible to work with, i dont know.