Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-01-2002, 09:21 AM   #76
animalcrackers

I guess most of us have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. It doesn't sound like too much job security. Another question David, whenever we see the extra's in the background and they are talking, are they just mouthing anything or quietly talking? Years ago a extra was being interviewed and she said she just says, "watermelon & cantelope" over and over.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #77
David77
Frequent Poster

I think they just talk about whatever. I was an extra on the Blossom "Paris" episode that I wrote. I was in the final scene at the airport. I am holding a guitar. I was waiting in line with my ticket and they hooked me up with this Blonde girl for the trip. So we just talked while we were in line about the show, about when to move, how long she was working that day, like that, just whispers. When I got up to the ticket lady I just made jokes about the imaginary trip to Paris. Usually you just talk about the scene. Sometimes people work for weeks other times it is just one afternoon. Extras know extras. I worked on one show with my brother called Wizards & Warriors and all the extras were midgets dressed in lizard suits. Talk about strange. Then I found out that some of them had actually worked on the Wizard of Oz as Munchkins. I was talking with The Lolipop King and I didn't even know it. He looked like a lizard to me.
http://www.wizardsandwarriors.org/index.htm

Also when there are dance scenes. The extras are not really dancing to music. The music is usually added in later.

I remember hanging out with the Head Magnet on the Joanie smoking show. She was an actual actress though, not an extra.

Here's a present.
Attached Images

Last edited by David77 : 10-01-2002 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:01 AM   #78
David77
Frequent Poster

That's me, Al, Bobby Hoffman, Fred Fox jr. & Ron Howard.

Yeah lunch is on me.

www.lostoros.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #79
Moonlight Lady
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by David77
You're welcome Lil Kelso. I like your graphics. I like the one with the flag the best so far.

Oh cool, Thank you. I can never stay with the same graphics for very long. I tend to get bored.

Old 10-01-2002, 02:05 PM   #80
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Quote:
Potsie Quits School & Extras:
The main idea of Potsie having to think up a song in his head to remember his anatomy was my idea. Being a musician most of the TV shows that I wrote have a music theme. Like Blossom "Guns in school" episode "38 special" which I wrote and I got a part in too (I'm in the band scene playing guitar) Sometimes one person has an idea and it is given to another person. Like the Christmas show where they all bring a tree in to the Cunnigham's? . That was my idea although Beverly Bloomberg got credit. Most of the writers were under contract for 3 scripts a year plus a weekly salary (and to get a parking space on the lot was a whole other big deal where your agent has to actually negotiate it.) I had to park outside the lot across the street and pay. (But that is another story.) Show Biz. "The slimey underbelly of the show business world" Anyway, people crank out story ideas and they are all delegated to different writers. The networks want certain story lines, the producers want different story lines, etc etc. So when it says "written by" or "story by" or "teleplay by" it really doesn't mean squat. They have to assign storys. It is a team effort.
Sometimes a writer will pitch an idea based on a theme or direction the producers want to go and it connects and he or she gets to write it. Other times a writer will pitch and idea and they like it and give it to another writer on the staff who is due under contract to get a script that season. Maybe the other writer already did his three scripts. So that being clear, I had already sold the Fonzie Jacket "Story by" that never got filmed. So in the total picture I did get a story and a teleplay.
There were other people that were Production Assistants like Jim Dunne who got "Story By" on Potsie Quits School. Jim Dunne was an all around guy on the Happy Days Crew. Originally I heard he was Gary Marshall's tennis pro. Gary liked him. So He worked with the actors, he wrote music, he came to writing meetings once in a while. He was just an all around guy. Gary Marshall wanted him to write and his first writing assignment was "Story by". It got him in the union.
He was close with the actors. I didn't have the chance to get
too involved like that on the stage. I was hired stictly to be an apprentice writer. In fact I didn't even have my own typewriter. I had to share one with Allen Goldstien. My agent didn't negotiate a typewriter. Now a days you have to have an agent to get an agent. So that is how it works. I liked the idea of being an extra but it never happened. I didn't push for it. I was a musician. I brought my guitar in and Brian and Fred would hear me play and bring me up to Bob Brunner's office. Bob would say, "I don't know what to do with that, go talk to Anson". It just didn't connect for me at that time. I later worked on other shows but it took years and years. That is just the way it went down. That girl drummer was a steady extra. I don't remember her name but when they say her name on the show, that is her real name. Sometimes Richie will say her name. She was cute, yeah. I talked more with Heather. (The girl with the wig). She would come to the booth and hang out on Friday nights. The other girl was kind of shy.

That's Cool! I Was Always Wondering About That! I Have A Question, Did All The Actors Like Playing The Charactors They Did?
Old 10-01-2002, 02:29 PM   #81
David77
Frequent Poster

Thanks Fonz.

I can't say for sure but I think they all liked the characters they played. They did them so well. They must have enjoyed it.

I'm sure they didn't always like the scripts.
Actors and writers are like cats and dogs. If the actor has a problem with the script he goes to the director who goes to the producer who goes to the writers.

When all else failed the director and the producer would meet with Gary Marshall. When Gary Marshall came to the writer's table it was serious business. That only happened once while I was there.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #82
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Wow! Cool, Thanks!
Old 10-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #83
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Quote:
Thanks Fonz.

I can't say for sure but I think they all liked the characters they played. They did them so well. They must have enjoyed it.

I'm sure they didn't always like the scripts.
Actors and writers are like cats and dogs. If the actor has a problem with the script he goes to the director who goes to the producer who goes to the writers.

When all else failed the director and the producer would meet with Gary Marshall. When Gary Marshall came to the writer's table it was serious business. That only happened once while I was there.

Your Welcome!
Old 10-01-2002, 02:57 PM   #84
wayne

David I notice "Christmas Time" & "Fearless Malph" are from the 78 era. Great episodesI feel. Were you involved in either of them? Also Fred Fox's face looks famaliar, could he have been in Stolen Melodies?
Old 10-01-2002, 03:40 PM   #85
David77
Frequent Poster

Yes. yes, yes. (or should I say, yep, yep, yep) Fred Fox was the band leader who got his wig pulled off. Yes, Chistmas Time, I had a lot to do with it. It was my idea about the trees. Also Fearless Malph yes. My first joke was in Fearless Malph. The tornado set was really something.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:49 PM   #86
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

David, do you get paid $36.00 every time it airs on ANY station (like if it airs locally on a station in Boston) or just on one of the major cable networks like TV Land or Nick at Nite?
Old 10-01-2002, 03:54 PM   #87
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Quote:
Yes. yes, yes. (or should I say, yep, yep, yep) Fred Fox was the band leader who got his wig pulled off. Yes, Chistmas Time, I had a lot to do with it. It was my idea about the trees. Also Fearless Malph yes. My first joke was in Fearless Malph. The tornado set was really something.

That's Soooo Cool! Fred Fox Was The Leader Of Freddy And The Red Hots? Cool! And Like TJ Said Do You Get Paid Everytime Any Station Plays Potsie Quits School? Or Do You Just Get Paid When Nick At Night Or Tvland Airs It?
Old 10-01-2002, 03:57 PM   #88
David77
Frequent Poster

Usually I get $36.00 take home after taxes. Sometimes half that but not too often. I have to look at the check stubs next time to figure out what is what. They don't show exactly when or where it is played. It just says cable. When I get less than $36.00 it's a real let down. It also takes four months after it airs to get paid.
It seems to be a quarterly. No lunch until February!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:25 AM   #89
HappyDays Dude55
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Usually I get $36.00 take home after taxes. Sometimes half that but not too often. I have to look at the check stubs next time to figure out what is what. They don't show exactly when or where it is played. It just says cable. When I get less than $36.00 it's a real let down. It also takes four months after it airs to get paid.It seems to be a quarterly. No lunch until February!

David, do you know what the actors get for payment after an episode is rerun? If they all get $36.00 per episode, that's a pretty good deal. TV Land seems to air like 3 different episodes a day now ... that comes out to like $826.00 per week! Not a bad take for work completed over two decades ago!

I thought I heard that back in the 50's and 60's, TV actors, writers, ect. did not get royalties when shows were rerun (I remember hearing, for example, the cast of "Gilligan's Island" never cashed in on the success of the show's reruns). Did this change in the 70s or something?
Old 10-02-2002, 11:04 AM   #90
David77
Frequent Poster

I think the actors get more than $36.00 for a re-run. ha ha! They get a certain percentage of what they were making at the time I'm sure. What is in their contracts etc. I was just paid scale for a teleplay. Writers get paid for a script in four parts usually. Story, teleplay, first draft, final draft. If it all works out and gets filmed it says, "written by". It can stop anywhere along the line though for whatever reason. The term for that is, "It got eaten". Like my Fonzie's Jacket story. Yeah, tv is big bucks. In the old days there were no residules. I think the residules started in the early seventies. Most of the old timers just got a flat fee. That must be hard to take.

Last edited by David77 : 10-02-2002 at 11:38 AM.