Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs
Friends Coming to Netflix in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 20, 2014)
Sitcom Alum Neil Patrick Harris to Host 2015 Oscars; Yahoo! Orders Another Comedy, This Time From Bridesmaids Producer
Malin Akerman Vegas Comedy Coming to Yahoo!; All in the Family Seasons 1-4 on iTunes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-09-2002, 03:41 AM   #1
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Default Bea Arthur and Betty White 15 year feud!!!!!!

I know I'm going to get blasted for this. But I was reading in the National Enquirer (Which is a credible source that many people don't know about) that Bea Arthur and Betty White have been ill-eased with each other for 15 years. The funny thing is that, no one can remember why the feud started in the first place.

In an attempt to rekindle their friendship, Betty attended an evening at Bea's one woman show. Obviously Bea is still fuming because Estelle Getty was in the audience, and Bea made it a point to acknowledge her in the audience. Even though Rue couldn't make it, Bea still made it a point to mention her name. But Bea snubbed Betty and didn't even acknowledge her. The article said that Betty was so hurt because she was clearly snubbed by Bea that once the show was over all she could do was hurry out of there. The article even said that Bea quoted one of her favorite Golden Girl episodes and metioned Estelle and Rue, and completely left out Betty.

Back to the 15 year feud. The article also interviewed one of Rue's boyfriends that was dating her sometime during the Golden Girl run. And he stated that Bea would often bully Betty on the set. If she would make a mistake, Bea would scream at her...."Betty you dumb bitch".

Supposedly this feud is well known in the industry.

I'm not sure how true this story is, but I usually believe 99% of the stories in the National Enquirer. Yeah, I know most people are going to snap at me for this, but if you put the pieces together it makes sense:

1.Bea was missing from Betty's intimate portrait...while gladly interviewing for Rue and Estelle's

2.Bea was missing from the NBC 75th anniversary. Come on...how busy can a 78 year old woman be??? Yes I know she has her one woman show, but come on.

3.I don't know if anyone noticed on Estelle's intimate portrait, but there was this one point on there where Bea is talking about animal loving...if you've seen the show then you know what I'm talking about

4.This is no new rumor, it has been circulating for years

5.Bea refuses to do any reunion shows. And uses lame excuses. Yes I know Estelle is ill, but I'm sure she'd have no problem giving an interview for a retrospective.

6.On one chat transcript where Bea Arthur is interviewed, she almost always when asked a question about the Golden Girls, would give a very short answer and then start talking about Maude.

Bea is actually my favorite actress on the show, I just wish that she would forget what ever is making her so mad. I'm mean let's be honest, the girls are getting up there. She'll be kicking herself so hard if Betty dies and she hasn't rekindled the relationship.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:51 AM   #2
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I've heard this rumor circulating since the show was on the air. I think there has to be at least a grain of truth to it, unfortunately. It's kind of sad to sort of throw away all the great memories of a fantastic show over something trivial.

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 06-09-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Czas na Zywiec
Forum Veteran
what up

I don't know what to think. Anyone remember when Lifetime was having that awards ceremony and they used that Betty/Rue promo in the begining? Well when they just wanted to say hi to their favorite Golden Girl. So Rue was like "Hi Estelle" and Betty said "Hi Bea." So supposedly Betty doesn't want to feud with Bea. I don't know what is true, but if it is, I just wish that they can stop argueing if they are and see what a hit TV show they made together, along with Rue and Estelle.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
Michele35
Forum Regular
Jazz Girl

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele35

Yes, there supposedly was some bad blood between Bea and Betty...there was an article in the local paper featuring Bea a few years ago,,the reporter asked her to comment on Rue, Estelle, and Betty but Bea refused to comment on Betty.

I met someone who was a p.a.(production assistant) on GG at a party a few years back...supposedly Betty was the one who was rude to the production people,cameramen, etc. Bea and Betty didn't even talk off camera.

Now we here more heresay from the Enquirer.

I don't know what to believe,, but both Bea and Betty are getting older and if there is really bad blood between them hopefully they will be able to put it behind them.

Jo: Beats me, Tootie.
==========================
I'm a drum 'n bass dawl
Old 06-09-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
angel676

It sounds like Betty White is/was trying to make amends, but Bea doesn't want to.
I also heard about that rumor. Is that part of the reason why Bea left the show?
IMO, if Bea hasn't made amends yet, she
probably never will. Some people are like that, they can hold grudges for a very long time.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #6
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

I have the Enquirer/Star/whatever magazine this came out of. Although the rumor has gone for quite some time, it reappeared with this article.

Apparently Bea was doing a show that Estelle and Bea were in attendance at. After the show, Bea came into the audience and hugged Estelle, and talked about the show. Betty White was just a few rows away, and was never acknowledged by Arthur.

The Enquirer/Star had a quote from Rue's old flame in the early 1990s. He said that Bea would curse and yell at Betty on the set, bringing her to the point of tears several times. Estelle also commented, saying she wasn't sure what started it, but the fight has gone on for years.

When asked about the incident, Betty said that "Bea's show is one of the very, very best one-woman shows I have ever seen." A true trooper, she never bad-mouthed Bea or anything else.

I'm sure there is bad blood, as 80strivia said, since this rumor has existed for so long. However, who knows where it came from, or to what extent it really does exist. There are some GG websites that have talked about it (although I can't name them at this moment).

Personally, I would say that Bea has some sort of grudge. I've never heard a bad word about Betty, but many people have said Bea Arthur can be terribly cruel. It's a shame that such a wonderful show had to be tainted with anger, but at least they were able to accept the situation and produce a quality show that so many still enjoy today.

The Golden Girls, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace, The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?, Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, Dallas, The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
Old 06-13-2002, 01:41 PM   #7
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Seiously though, they must be AMAZING thesbians to be able to hide their animosity toward one another. Because it doesn't show one bit on camera.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #8
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I agree with you Super. You never would have known there was any animosity at all from the fantastic acting they all did! They were completely and totally convincing to me as very good friends. For example, when the Girl's attended that phony class reunion and Rose collapsed after having a heart attack. When Dorothy yells: "Oh my God. Someone, get help!", it's very convincing that she was worried about her!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:48 AM   #9
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by angel676
It sounds like Betty White is/was trying to make amends, but Bea doesn't want to.
I also heard about that rumor. Is that part of the reason why Bea left the show?
IMO, if Bea hasn't made amends yet, she
probably never will. Some people are like that, they can hold grudges for a very long time.

If this so called fued is true, it is stupid. I think it is so dumb for a person to hold a grudge for some one a long time. 15 years? Come on. I think it takes away apart from a person. I sense that Betty is a sweet person and has heart. I just hope amends are made. Life is too short and for them, they have lived through most of theirs. Taking grudges to the grave is crazy. It happens some in my family too with distant relatives and it's just played out. "Let go and let God" is what I say.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
TVJunkie101
Member...you 'member?

Send a message via AIM to TVJunkie101

Hmm. I don't know what to make of this. I agree with a few of you who said that the animosity is NOT evident on screen at ALL. Since reading this, I've watched closely at scenes between Bea and Betty, and nothing is there, except great acting.

Why was Bea so unahppy? You'd think she would've loved her experiences, despite the feud with Betty.

I love Bea, and she's awesome, but maybe she was jealous? I mean, she could've thought she was the star, and thought Betty was treated better. I really don't know, since I've never heard the real reason the feud started.

You would think Bea would be a little more gracious towards NBC and attended the 75th Anniversary, but oh well, it was still great to see Betty and Rue.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:50 PM   #11
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

Well I don't care what anyone says about Betty she is such great actess and a great role model. I personally thin the Bea is a terrible actress. She is so aweful. I know someones gonna get mad at me for saying that about Bea. Go ahead I'm ready for it.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #12
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

Quote:
Originally posted by Will and Grace Fanatic
Well I don't care what anyone says about Betty she is such great actess and a great role model. I personally thin the Bea is a terrible actress. She is so aweful. I know someones gonna get mad at me for saying that about Bea. Go ahead I'm ready for it.

Why get mad about your comments? You're allowed to say whatever you want.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:51 PM   #13
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While Bea Arthur was FAR from the best actress on the show, she to me was just a funny character. I mean a 60 year old woman who bubble ****** and has a sarcastic remark for everything (a lot like Chandler on earlier episodes of Friends) is funny to me. And that's why her CHARACTER on the show is my favorite. Estelle and Betty are neck and neck IMHO for the best actress on the show.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:22 PM   #14
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by jayman75

Why get mad about your comments? You're allowed to say whatever you want.

Well I have put comments on this site and people have gotten mad at me and attacked me for my comments.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:01 PM   #15
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well just make sure that you don't insult others. Other than that, you should be able to express your opinions in a respectful way. I know that there are some on this board that worship the ground these actors walk on and then get mad when others state that they don't like them. "Too Bad! Get over it" is what I say.