Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-22-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Hall of Fame Broadcaster Dick Enberg (1935-2017)

Link

Dick Enberg, the Hall of Fame broadcaster whose "Oh my!" calls rang familiar with so many sports fans, has died, his wife and daughter confirmed Thursday night.?

He was 82.

Enberg's daughter, Nicole, said the family became concerned when he didn't arrive on his flight to Boston on Thursday, and that he was found dead at his home in La Jolla, a San Diego neighborhood, with his bags packed. The family said it was awaiting official word on the cause of death but believed he had a heart attack.

Enberg was one of America's most beloved sports broadcasters, with his versatile voice spanning the world on networks such as NBC, CBS and ESPN. In all, he covered 28 Wimbledons, 10 Super Bowls and eight NCAA men's basketball title games, including the Magic Johnson-Larry Bird showdown in 1979.

His work was celebrated in a host of honors, including the National Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award (2015), the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Rozelle Award (1999) and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Gowdy Award (1995). He?won 13 Sports Emmy Awards and a Lifetime Achievement Emmy. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and UCLA named its media center in Pauley Pavilion after Enberg this year.

Most recently, Enberg had served as the primary play-by-play television voice of the San Diego Padres, retiring in 2016 after seven seasons with the team.

"Baseball," he said then, "has been in my DNA from the time I was in diapers."

The Padres released a statement Thursday night.

"We are immensely saddened by the sudden and unexpected passing of legendary broadcaster Dick Enberg," the statement read. "Dick was an institution in the industry for 60 years and we were lucky enough to have his iconic voice behind the microphone for Padres games for nearly a decade. On behalf of our entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to his wife, Barbara, and the entire Enberg family."

Padres Chairman Ron Fowler, who has known Enberg for more than 25 years, said Thursday night that the team has offered the family use of Petco Park for a celebration of life.

Born and raised in Michigan, Enberg graduated from Central Michigan University, where he began his broadcasting career as an undergraduate. He later moved to California, doing TV work for the UCLA Bruins and radio work for the California Angels and Los Angeles Rams.

During his nine years broadcasting UCLA basketball in the '60s and '70s, the Bruins won eight NCAA titles. He said the Jan. 20, 1968 Houston-UCLA game, dubbed "The Game of the Century" in which the Bruins' 47-game winning streak was snapped in front of 52,693 fans at the Astrodome, was the most historically important event he covered. It was the first NCAA regular-season game broadcast nationwide in prime time.

"That was the platform from which college basketball's popularity was sent into the stratosphere," Enberg said. "The '79 game, the Magic-Bird game, everyone wants to credit that as the greatest game of all time. That was just the booster rocket that sent it even higher. ... UCLA, unbeaten; Houston, unbeaten. And then the thing that had to happen, and Coach [John] Wooden hated when I said this, but UCLA had to lose. That became a monumental event.''

In 1975, Enberg joined NBC Sports and remained with the network for 25 years, covering the World Series, NFL games and Wimbledon, among other sports and marquee events.

He went on to do work for CBS Sports and ESPN, with his voice commonly associated with the NFL and college basketball games, as well as the all-grass tennis tournament in England.

An Enberg interview was published Thursday as part of his "Sound of Success" podcast. His guest was veteran TV producer and executive Andy Friendly. At one point in the extensive interview, Friendly pauses to share his admiration for the legendary Enberg.

"I'm especially honored to be talking to you," he said. "I mean -- 'Oh my!' I grew up watching you do the NFL, especially Wimbledon, I was a tennis player growing up. ... I'm a golfer, a bad one now. ... And I just watched you religiously. ...

"This is a true honor, and I can't wait to read your book on Ted Williams, who is a true hero of mine.

"You are one of my true heroes and one of the true greats of our business, Dick. It's a real honor, and I'm not just blowing smoke, and I know your listeners know this already. I am talking to broadcast royalty today, and I am thrilled to be doing it."

Enberg is the only person to win Emmy Awards as a sportscaster, a writer and a producer.

His death comes just weeks shy of his 83rd birthday, which would have been on Jan. 9.?
Zoneboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
ponytail

He was one of the best!
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail
He was one of the best!
Indeed! Now he and Merlin can presumably be on the call of as many Super Bowls and Rose Bowls as they want in heaven.
Attached Images

"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Babalu

Too partisan. Never liked him.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Dude111

Very sad
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:10 AM   #6
JSP

R.I.P. It’s cool he also hosted game shows back in the day.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote