Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Oh No Ridiculous TV Show Cast/Setting Changes That Even Suspension of Disbelief Can't...

Overcome?

For example, when the supporting players of Laverne & Shirley (i.e. Lenny, Squiggy, Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa along with Laverne's father and his wife) moved from Milwaukee to California to join L&S. We're supposed to believe they all decided on a whim to throw their lives away (bare in mind that Laverne's parents owned a reasonably successful pizza business in Milwaukee) and with little thought make a major life decision so they can keep their little group together.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

That's a good example.

I know TV critics have mentioned this one: on Little House on the Prairie, when everybody moved out of Walnut Grove to whatever that larger town was, and then later that year, everyone moved back.

But this may be the worst one: The move from Indiana to California on Saved By the Bell/Good Morning Miss Bliss. The school remained the same, but the state changed?!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
That's a good example.

I know TV critics have mentioned this one: on Little House on the Prairie, when everybody moved out of Walnut Grove to whatever that larger town was, and then later that year, everyone moved back.

But this may be the worst one: The move from Indiana to California on Saved By the Bell/Good Morning Miss Bliss. The school remained the same, but the state changed?!

That's because Good Morning, Miss Bliss and Saved by the Bell are actually technically two different shows. The only reason why Good Morning, Miss Bliss was included with the regular Saved by the Bell run was to pad out the number of episodes in order to have a decent rerun syndication package.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Yong Fang

Sanford and Son might be my example. Fred Sanford married his wife Elizabeth in St. Louis, and Elizabeth's family and sisters (Esther, Ethel, and at others) hated him, yet they all followed him to Los Angeles. Grady was also from St. Louis who was a childhood friend of Fred's who moved west. A fairly large circle of people who all seemingly picked up and moved.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Overcome?

For example, when the supporting players of Laverne & Shirley (i.e. Lenny, Squiggy, Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa along with Laverne's father and his wife) moved from Milwaukee to California to join L&S. We're supposed to believe they all decided on a whim to throw their lives away (bare in mind that Laverne's parents owned a reasonably successful pizza business in Milwaukee) and with little thought make a major life decision so they can keep their little group together.

The actual events make more sense. Frank DeFazio and Edna Babish moved to Calif. first; they did not "join L&S" as you've claimed. (Edna became Laverne's stepmother I will add, she had only one biological parent living.) The bottle capping jobs of L & S at Shotz were eliminated. This is key to explaining what happened.

With the new "Cowboy Bill's" established out west, there was nothing to stop Laverne (and to some extent everyone else) from moving. I'm not saying that the idea of EVERYONE like Len, Squig, Ragu, going wasn't a stretch, but saying that ALL of the characters -- Frank & Edna on down -- joined L & S puts the cart in front of the horse, which didn't happen.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Overcome?

By that point, L & S was losing ratings and ABC was concerned. The producers thought that changing the location would improve ratings and they were also running out of ideas to keep them in Milwaukee. The California seasons weren't bad, but they weren't great either, just so-so. There should have been more crossovers with Happy Days than there was.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glickmam
That's because Good Morning, Miss Bliss and Saved by the Bell are actually technically two different shows. The only reason why Good Morning, Miss Bliss was included with the regular Saved by the Bell run was to pad out the number of episodes in order to have a decent rerun syndication package.
Oh, I'm aware of the real-life reasons. But in-universe, it made no sense. One season they are in Indiana, the next they are in California. And yet, the school has the same principal, and three of the students are there. And these episodes were syndicated as Saved By the Bell.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
TMC
Forum Veteran

15 TV Shows That Did Lame Things To Boost Ratings
Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I'll say it again, because it bears repeating.

Galactica: 1980. Case closed. You gut the show's cast, leaving only TWO of the original stars (out of a dozen or so), three original characters (one was played by a different actor as he had aged), shoot the show twenty five years into the future, change the setting to Earth, change the main villain, and gear the show towards children.

HOW did that strategy ever fail?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
Oh, I'm aware of the real-life reasons. But in-universe, it made no sense. One season they are in Indiana, the next they are in California. And yet, the school has the same principal, and three of the students are there. And these episodes were syndicated as Saved By the Bell.

Oh, I thought you were not familiar with the real life reasons, given how obscure Good Morning, Miss Bliss really is.