Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Default I thought the kid in Jackie Chan's Karate Kid looked different.

I don't mean different in that it wasn't Ralph because I was expecting that. They said this was to be about an American boy, but I thought Jaden Parker looked like a girl. I checked credits to make sure they were focusing on the right one and that the main one wouldn't be coming later, but nope he didn't. I haven't watched all of it yet, and it's hard to say if I will tonight since this is a Simpsons night.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Well I'm close to seeing how many Simpsons episodes are ones I haven't seen. So far, I haven't read a synopsis of any that aren't ones I've seen. The Jackie Chan remake is okay so far, but it's like pretty much what I saw in part one of the original trilogy except Han didn't waste near as much time trying to catch flies with chopsticks and went to using a fly swatter and then used the chopsticks to throw the fly away and continue eating when that wasn't the most sanitary way to eat. He should've at least cleaned the chopsticks or left the fly on the swatter like I would've done. His name's a lot easier to remember than Morita's character, which I'd still have to use Google to check for spelling or look at the other thread. I'd post on a movie thread; but with my phone the way it is, registering to post is a hassle because the smart phone won't show latest emails; and the tech store that it came from couldn't help me.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
Irelan
Frequent Poster

I made a mistake because it's Jaden Smith, and I'm guessing Parker is the last name of the kid. I haven't got to the part where he shows up for Han's first lesson, but I did hear Han saying he'd train him, and I interjected with an after he's washed a few cars comment. One notable difference between Morita and Jackie Chan is that Morita didn't really study much martial arts in reality and basically practiced choreographed moves with someone who had a ninth degree black belt and probably only did this trilogy of movies and maybe that other TV series as a result, but I didn't watch enough to know if he used any martial arts in that show, but I know Jackie Chan's done several martial arts movies, and he probably didn't do any where he wasn't playing a character who was a martial artist.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Ohara is the name of the Morita TV series, and it was short lived like so many other good shows like The Wizard. Happy Days was the one where he probably appeared much later in the show than the beginning; and judging by the American name of the character, he's the one that Arnold's was named after. Whether he adopted Pat as his American real name is something I didn't get from Google and legally changed it to be his real name. His real name doesn't look hard to pronounce, but it's one that's too easy to forget, and I have to really commit it to memory, or I find myself having to look it up later every time to find out. Well instead of having the kid wash cars and do chores that would be less fun like paint a fence, he got off easy by hanging his coat up after putting it on the floor about 5 billion times. I haven't gotten to any parts where he gets tired of not being shown moves and has a fit about hanging his coat up and putting it on.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Actually Pat was only in the early seasons of Happy Days (not counting a few guest appearances later on), and Arnold's was not named after him, he took over the place and kept the name, and people started calling him Arnold.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 10-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Then I guess that doesn't explain who it was named after since Al was pretty much running it.

What about Ohara? I know that one's more of a police drama show, and I only became aware of it because my dad would watch it.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

The original owner was named Arnold, when Pat Morita's character bought it he kept the name, since his name was too long to put on the sign, I think that's what he said. Then Al bought the place from Arnold, and still kept the name.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
The original owner was named Arnold, when Pat Morita's character bought it he kept the name, since his name was too long to put on the sign, I think that's what he said. Then Al bought the place from Arnold, and still kept the name.

He said, "Signs are expensive!. Is this the face of a Arnold?"

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
He said, "Signs are expensive!. Is this the face of a Arnold?"

That was it! It's been awhile.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Unfortunately that doesn't say much as to what O'Hara was about. It obviously didn't have as much success as Walker Texas Ranger which starred that dude who's been famous for martial arts long before the show even started while Karate Kid's Morita took maybe enough for the sake of the filming of the trilogy to make viewers like me wish it had been his character competing in the third movie instead of Danny Laruso.
Take care and God bless
Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Well I finished watching the Jackie Chan one; and unlike the original one, Jackie Chan's character taught Jaden Smith's character how to do the easy to do ground sweep that Morita's character did something predictable when Danny Laruso begged him to teach it to him, which was to go get a broom. The first fight scene with Dre Parker's lead bully did a move on him that no instructor has never taught me that looks easy but may be easier said than done and wouldn't work on someone who's a lot heavier than you, and I did get a black belt at the first martial arts school I went to where the instructor focused on Jeet kune do.

In the final tournament fight, when it was time to for one of them to score the winning point, I was saying please don't do that jump snap kick and was concerned when I saw him getting ready to do a kick that he was until he did that kick that would be impossible for me to do because I can't do back flips or front flips. That's something that I and everyone and his brother may wishes he could do but is way too difficult.
Take care and God bless