Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Link

Tom Petty, a singer and guitarist who burst onto the scene in the 1970s as one of the most original, searching voices in rock and remained a major hitmaker for four decades, writing songs including “Free Fallin’,” “I Won’t Back Down” and “American Girl,” died Oct. 2 at a hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 66.

Mr. Petty died in a hospital after being found unconscious at his home in Malibu, according to Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. He had suffered cardiac arrest.

Mr. Petty and his band, the Heartbreakers, released their self-titled debut in 1976 and soon drew comparisons to the bluesy, guitar-heavy rock of the Rolling Stones and the Byrds. Their music was unabashedly sentimental, seeming to speak to striving, everyday Americans no less than the songs of fellow rocker Bruce Springsteen, while featuring clever arrangements that intertwined the fretwork of Mr. Petty and lead guitarist Mike Campbell.

The group toured seemingly nonstop for decades, leading boisterous shows as recently as last week, when Mr. Petty concluded a nationwide tour that he said may well be his last. “I don’t want to spend my life on the road,” he told Rolling Stone.

Still, Mr. Petty seemed to treat rock as a religion, battling with his record label to prevent the cost of one of his albums from rising by $1 and exuding a sense of divine satisfaction while performing onstage. “I don’t think he thought there was a better way to live your life than in a rock band,” said rock historian and Rolling Stone contributor Anthony DeCurtis. “You never get a sense that this guy was going through the motions at all. It was a matter of conviction for him.”

Mr. Petty, the group’s leader and principal songwriter, was a musical craftsman who paired polished guitar riffs with lyrics that seemed lifted from barroom conversations in his home town of Gainesville, Fla. His 1978 single “Listen to Her Heart” begins, “You think you’re gonna take her away with your money and your cocaine,” while “I Won’t Back Down” — the 1989 fist-pumper that Mr. Petty co-wrote with Jeff Lynne — starts this way: “Well, I won’t back down / No, I won’t back down / You can stand me up at the gates of hell / But I won’t back down.”

It was simple, straightforward and catchy, with a hummable hook that helped Mr. Petty’s solo debut, “Full Moon Fever” (1989), sell millions of copies. His “Greatest Hits” record, a compilation that included the harmonica-driven single “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” fared even better, sitting on the Top 200 albums chart for more than six years and briefly staking a claim to one of the 100 best-selling albums of all time.

Mr. Petty’s career was marked by personal problems that included a heroin addiction, a tumultuous marriage and a 1987 house fire that burned everything but his basement recording studio. But he remained one of the most durable and distinctive presences in rock for decades, sporting a nasal voice and blond hair that fell to his shoulders.

His 1980s music videos, including an “Alice in Wonderland”-inspired video for “Don’t Come Around Here No More” (1985), in which Mr. Petty played a sunglasses-wearing Mad Hatter, introduced him to some members of the MTV generation. And his recordings with the Traveling Wilburys, a supergroup that formed in 1988 with Bob Dylan, George Harrison of the Beatles and Roy Orbison (who died later that year), connected him with an earlier era of rock music.

Still, Mr. Petty remained an inscrutable presence to many fans. As one friend told Petty biographer Warren Zanes, “He’s got tinted windows on his soul.”

Thomas Earl Petty was born in Gainesville on Oct. 20, 1950, the son of an alcoholic insurance salesman who beat him relentlessly from the time he was 5. His body, he later said, was covered in welts. His revenge was a slingshot to the fin of his father’s 1955 Cadillac.

He escaped the pain of his family life through watching television and then through music. An encounter with rock star Elvis Presley, who was in town to shoot a scene from the 1962 Hollywood musical “Follow That Dream,” was a defining moment of his childhood. Through family connections — an uncle who had been hired to assist the film crew — he managed to get onto the film set and meet the star.

He soon became obsessed with the guitar, the instrument of his musical idol, and his school grades began to drop. He said he preferred the company of his guitar to dates and other teenage rites of passage, and as the Beatles invaded the pop charts his hair grew in length.

Mr. Petty played in local rock bands, with musical dates often in topless bars, and left school at 17 to devote himself to the group Mudcrutch, which included two later foundational members of the Heartbreakers, keyboardist Benmont Tench and lead guitarist Mike Campbell. He was, former bandmate Jim Lenahan told Zanes, ferociously ambitious, “really good at getting people to quit school and join his band.”

Mudcrutch had a strong following in Florida, but Mr. Petty said he was determined to cast a wider mark, which meant writing his own music and hoping it would catch the attention of a record company in Los Angeles.

They signed with Shelter Records, but the band broke up over artistic and personal clashes. “We did the L.A. freakout,” Mr. Petty later quipped. Not until 1975, at a demo session that included Tench, Campbell, drummer Stan Lynch and bassist Ron Blair, did Mr. Petty suddenly find the chemistry just right.

Calling themselves Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, they released two major hits the next year, “American Girl” and “Breakdown,” which vaulted them to national attention and a regular spot performing at the Whiskey a Go Go and other major Los Angeles clubs.

Their style was a throwback in many ways, a rejection of arena rock bands like Led Zeppelin and the blues roots music of the Allman Brothers in favor of the feral sound of early Presley and Buddy Holly. When promoters and radio stations classified the group as a punk act, Mr. Petty fumed. He and his band were pure rockers.

Legal entanglements ensued when his record company changed hands after the release of the band’s second album, “You’re Gonna Get It!” in 1978. Mr. Petty said he refused to be “bought and sold like a peace of meat,” and found his career stalled over charges of breach of contract when he wanted out. He declared bankruptcy in 1979, signed with a new label, Backstreet Records, and reached a settlement with his former record company.

The new arrangement would mark a renaissance in Mr. Petty’s music. The record “Damn the Torpedoes” (1979) — a playful jab at his legal troubles — endures as one of the timeless rock albums of the era, oozing tenderness and toughness and a propulsive rock drive on songs such as “Refugee” and “Louisiana Rain.” The album, defined by Mr. Petty’s emotive vocals and Campbell’s vital guitarwork, sold millions of copies and summited the pop charts.

Mr. Petty’s next several albums with the Heartbreakers — including “Hard Promises” (1981), with a duet with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac on the song “Insider,” and “Long After Dark” (1982) — continued to sell exceedingly well. Critics rhapsodized on his originality and suppleness.

“The music on ‘Long after Dark’ offers the passion, the attention to detail, the delicate balance of originality and love of tradition that have always informed the best rock-and-roll,” Robert Palmer wrote in the New York Times. “ ‘Long after Dark’ also happens to be one of the most gorgeous-sounding rock-and-roll albums in recent memory. Mr. Petty and his collaborators have fashioned an aural landscape of remarkable beauty and depth. Phalanxes of electric 12-stringed guitars advance across meadows of layered keyboards, while 6-strings chime out harmonious, pealing chords and drums crash like thunder.”

As the decade progressed, Mr. Petty lent his name recognition to benefit concerts such as Live Aid, and he also contributed hitmaking songs for other performers, including “Never Be You” for Rosanne Cash. Worried that the Heartbreakers were becoming too well-oiled for their own good, he ventured into conceptual rock — with touches of psychedelia and soul — for their 1985 album “Southern Accents,” which had the one-off hit “Don’t Come Around Here No More.”

In 1986, he and the Heartbreakers toured as the backing band for Dylan, one of Mr. Petty’s chief musical influences. Their next album, “Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough)” in 1987, demonstrated a shaggy freewheeling spirit more than their previous polished studio work and a virtuoso-like versatility, but he also saw his commercial prospects dwindling.

His work with the Traveling Wilburys, and the chart-topping success of “Free Fallin’ ” and “I Won’t Back Down,” from “Full Moon Fever,” propelled him into the next decade. As Mr. Petty put it, the album “made me such a nice guy for about a year.” He was now a household name, an arena-filling act who suddenly became a target for music critics anticipating that he — now on the precipice of fame — would relinquish his mantle as an innovator and leave behind his roots in favor of lucre.

His later albums, among them “Into the Great Wide Open” and “Wildflowers,” continued to reap financial rewards for its creator, but he remained very much attuned to musical integrity. His music lacked superstar pretensions in favor of exquisite melodies and high-level craftsmanship. He tried to avoid the pitfalls of 1980s rock-band excess, and he embraced the hallmarks of the post-Nirvana generation of music makers.

“They don’t give a damn how much money they’re going to make,” he told the London Independent in 1994. “I think in America for a long time you had groups that wanted to be stars more than they wanted to make music. We always went on the theory that if we made really good music we might attain stardom, but it was never the primary goal.”

Mr. Petty made idiosyncratic guest appearances in the 1997 Kevin Costner film “The Postman” and on TV shows including “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show” and the animated series, “King of the Hill.”

His marriage to Jane Benyo, with whom he had two daughters, ended in divorce; he said her escalating drug use and mental illness, including threats of suicide, exacerbated his own prodigious heroin consumption and a furtive public posture. In 2001, he married Dana York in a ceremony presided over by rock star and ordained minister Little Richard. A complete list of survivors could not be immediately confirmed.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted Mr. Petty and the Heartbreakers in 2002. “I’d like to see us break some new ground and leave some sort of mark on the music,” Mr. Petty once said, according to his citation. “That would be the nicest thing — to give something back, as noble as it sounds. If you could make some little dent in rock, where that little area is yours — that’s what I’m striving for now.”

Last edited by Zoneboy : 10-03-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Svenfan1234
Berwyn!

Shout! Factory, PLEASE release a complete series set of St. Elsewhere!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
AB
Forum Celebrity
Merry Christmas

So very sad to hear this, thoughts & prayers to his family & friends.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

Oh wow, this is such a shock! I love his music. RIP Tom
Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Sounds like that's the third...

Hugh Hefner
Monty Hall
And now...Tom Petty

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

OMG!!! Oh wow!! Very , very shocking! So sad!!! WAY to young to pass!!

RIP Tom .
Old 10-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
D-Dey
Win The War!

I was going to add a video of him smashing disco records backstage, or his message to cassette listeners from "Into the Great Wide Open," but I can't find either.

Anyway, RIP.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

I don't see any mention of him on the CNN website home page, and the local 5 o'clock news I just watched said he was "clinging to life".
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

He was a great musician. I loved "I Won't Back Down", "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Learning to Fly", "Free Fallin'", and so many others. His voice was so distinctive I'd recognize it anywhere. For me, his music was a big part of the 1980s and 1990s; music I grew up on.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Merry Christmas

Unhappy Rest in Peace, Tom Petty

What a terrible shame. He was so talented and much too young to die. Prayers up for his loved ones.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Babalu

Big Tom Petty fan. Have seen him in concert.

Right now it looks as if he may be still on life support but there's no brain activity so it's a matter of time.

A real shame. Good friend of the best including the rest of the Wilbury's.

Another one bites the dust.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 10-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Svenfan1234
Berwyn!

Old 10-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
He was a great musician. I loved "I Won't Back Down", "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Learning to Fly", "Free Fallin'", and so many others. His voice was so distinctive I'd recognize it anywhere. For me, his music was a big part of the 1980s and 1990s; music I grew up on.

Yes. He had many good songs!! I had fun times and happy memories back in the day when his songs were playing !

He will be sadly missed!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
IllinoisTVFan

Apparently the news of his death was retracted. Hopefully this is good news and he's just hospitalized.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #15
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
Apparently the news of his death was retracted. Hopefully this is good news and he's just hospitalized.

That's great news if he is indeed just hospitalized. TMZ, CBS, Rolling Stone and others had reported that he had passed.