Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
Steve_uk
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,246
Default

It's an age one expects individuals to be steeped in firmer values from the past or associates with a Beatles song, a time to take a breather from the stresses and strains of raising your own family, welcome your grandchildren and wind down in expectation of taking life a little easier in your remaining years.

Outwardly he appeared frighteningly normal: a couple of divorces under his belt, but that's no big deal in the modern throwaway society we have come to know and expect. No money worries, no arguments over family relationships, no grudge against a former employer. Just a normal, middle-class, suburban male on vacation to enjoy a Country and Western concert alongside 22000 others.

Yet this man stood apart. Is there some concealed mystery in his past, some genetic connection to his gangster, psychopathic father with suicidal traits, who abandoned his son at 14 years of age? Maybe he was worrying about the onset of old age in a world from which he had become dissociated, downgraded by the newer generation, no longer content with life's vices of gambling, drinking or prostitution. Time had moved on, yet the only individual he seemed to care about was his 90-year-old mother, for whom he bought cookies and a walking frame. She was from the old school, respectable, loyal, dependable, an existence he yearned to regain yet whose virtues now proved elusive.

Or maybe the concern for his mother makes the crimes all the more horrible and inexplicable. Is this just another example of the threnody of the human condition, the banality of evil, the senseless crime?

In short: he killed because he could. A loner who had lost the interconnection of daily lives which keep society moving, the cleaners, the launderers, the emergency service staff who would clean up his bloody mess, and why shouldn't they in their leisure time enjoy a respite in the form of a Harvest Festival of music? Yet this man, sequestered in his den of evil, curtains billowing inwards against the shattered glass, his vantage point chosen specifically to maximise the carnage in his last hour on earth spewed indiscriminately his bullets of hate, knowing full well he would forfeit his own meaningless life in the process and never be forced to confront the consequences of his actions.

Last edited by Steve_uk : 10-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
PhoenixAcres
Senior Member
Happy Fall
 
PhoenixAcres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,626
Default

It's unbelievable how this is so common these days. There are some really sick, sick minds out there. Killing is never the right answer to your problems and it doesn't accomplish anything. All it does is perpetuate and multiply the suffering and pain.

I pray that all those affected are given the strength and courage to get through this and recover from the evil thrust upon them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #18
JSP
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 19, 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
It's an age one expects individuals to be steeped in firmer values from the past or associates with a Beatles song, a time to take a breather from the stresses and strains of raising your own family, welcome your grandchildren and wind down in expectation of taking life a little easier in your remaining years.

Outwardly he appeared frighteningly normal: a couple of divorces under his belt, but that's no big deal in the modern throwaway society we have come to know and expect. No money worries, no arguments over family relationships, no grudge against a former employer. Just a normal, middle-class, suburban male on vacation to enjoy a Country and Western concert alongside 22000 others.

Yet this man stood apart. Is there some concealed mystery in his past, some genetic connection to his gangster, psychopathic father with suicidal traits, who abandoned his son at 14 years of age? Maybe he was worrying about the onset of old age in a world from which he had become dissociated, downgraded by the newer generation, no longer content with life's vices of gambling, drinking or prostitution. Time had moved on, yet the only individual he seemed to care about was his 90-year-old mother, for whom he bought cookies and a walking frame. She was from the old school, respectable, loyal, dependable, an existence he yearned to regain yet whose virtues now proved elusive.

Or maybe the concern for his mother makes the crimes all the more horrible and inexplicable. Is this just another example of the threnody of the human condition, the banality of evil, the senseless crime?

In short: he killed because he could. A loner who had lost the interconnection of daily lives which keep society moving, the cleaners, the launderers, the emergency service staff who would clean up his bloody mess, and why shouldn't they in their leisure time enjoy a respite in the form of a Harvest Festival of music? Yet this man, sequestered in his den of evil, curtains billowing inwards against the shattered glass, his vantage point chosen specifically to maximise the carnage in his last hour on earth spewed indiscriminately his bullets of hate, knowing full well he would forfeit his own meaningless life in the process and never be forced to confront the consequences of his actions.
Very eloquently put. You sound like a journalist giving commentary on what happened. If you're not in the entertainment field, you should be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
Steve_uk
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
Very eloquently put. You sound like a journalist giving commentary on what happened. If you're not in the entertainment field, you should be.
Thank you JSP but I'll leave the journalism to Adam Housley. I'll also leave the firearms debate to Americans, but there's surely a difference between a housewife in a tough neighbourhood concealing a revolver in her purse and a maniac in a public space possessing 23 guns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #20
JSP
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 19, 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
I'll also leave the firearms debate to Americans, but there's surely a difference between a housewife in a tough neighbourhood concealing a revolver in her purse and a maniac in a public space possessing 23 guns.
I agree. I believe in the second amendment and I support people having the right to own handguns and shotguns for self-defense wnd hunting purposes, but assault weapons are not for self-defense. Just for aggression. We’ve got to do something about that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #21
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 09, 2007
Location: My name says it all...even my emotions!
Posts: 11,204
Oh No

All I can say is...2017 can't leave fast enough...

My church will have a prayer service throughout three days...I may go to one...
__________________
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
Lee
Senior Member
veteran member
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Location: Pulaski, Tennessee
Posts: 4,298
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
In short: he killed because he could. A loner who had lost the interconnection of daily lives which keep society moving, the cleaners, the launderers, the emergency service staff who would clean up his bloody mess, and why shouldn't they in their leisure time enjoy a respite in the form of a Harvest Festival of music? Yet this man, sequestered in his den of evil, curtains billowing inwards against the shattered glass, his vantage point chosen specifically to maximise the carnage in his last hour on earth spewed indiscriminately his bullets of hate, knowing full well he would forfeit his own meaningless life in the process and never be forced to confront the consequences of his actions.

Well said, Steve_uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #23
Lee
Senior Member
veteran member
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Location: Pulaski, Tennessee
Posts: 4,298
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAcres
It's unbelievable how this is so common these days. There are some really sick, sick minds out there. Killing is never the right answer to your problems and it doesn't accomplish anything. All it does is perpetuate and multiply the suffering and pain.

I pray that all those affected are given the strength and courage to get through this and recover from the evil thrust upon them.

Amen!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
Regulus
Senior Member
Member
 
Regulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2011
Location: Port Orange, Florda Avatar = The Poiuyt is back!
Posts: 3,063
Default

If this is isn't a case of demonic possession I don't know what it was.
__________________
Hurricanes don't blow, THEY SUCK!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.