Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
cfr1970
Occasional Poster

Default Hazel is always right about everything.

Just once i'd love to see an episode where she meddles in other people's private lives and it blows up back in her face spectacularly. She's always so smug and know it all when giving her opinion especially when no one asks her for it.

I don't know why the Baxter's didn't toss her out on the street the day they met her. I sure would have! Just clean the toilets and shut the hell up.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Oh No YOU"RE FIRED GET OUT, ahh peace again

I know just how you feel. THOUGH, it took me decades to get to the point where you are now. I have always said Hazel & Adv. of Superman (George Reeves) were my 2 all time favorite shows. I saw Hazel as a kid in the '60's when it was first broadcast. I started watching again when it finally returned to TV on CBN in the mid to late '80's. I've been watching on a weekly basis since then (the '80s). So I've seen Hazel now so many times I can predict every move. But still I enjoyed the series immensely. UNTIL about 4 years ago, I found myself getting angry and angrier as the show went on and Hazel continued to butt in everybody's business constantly undermining Mr. B, going against his wishes, actively opposing him and plotting with the rest of the family against him. It got to the point I couldn't stand to watch it anymore without feeling like yelling at the screen "YOU'RE FIRED!!" (This was before our president made this famous).

At any rate finally this last go round with Hazel watching every week I decided would be my last. I would just have to give Hazel watching a break if I wanted to control my blood pressure. So as of about a month or more ago I reached the last episode (I've always watched her with DVDs and always in episode guide order) after watching that last episode I decided that's it, no more for a while. So I no longer find myself getting hopping mad when watching my great old sitcoms, Hazel is on the shelf now for who knows how long, at least a couple years. I'm hoping I will be able to return to Hazel and enjoy it again as I used to for so long. But for now, it's break time for me. My blood pressure thanks me too. I just couldn't take anymore of her big interfering mouth constantly going against what Mr. B. commanded.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
stevea

I think Mr B almost let her go on that episode where she blabbed about his appointment to judge, losing him the job. As I recall Missy tried to talk him out of it, and as he was about to lower the boom, Hazel told him she loved him. Took the wind right out of his sails.

I have mixed feelings about her. She has good points, and bad, just as we all do. When she brought Deirdre and her daughter back together, she was at her best. When she screwed up the judge thing, she was at her worst. When she was dictating her "terms" to the other Mr B, she was also at her worst. Come to think of it, I probably can think of a lot more bad than good, unfortunately.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
cfr1970
Occasional Poster

I think the only redeeming part of Hazel is how she is with the kid. Those two together are always the bright spot of the show because you can clearly see how genuinely fond of each other they are.
There was an episode recently where she met a man friend in the park who was clearly smitten with her, and the whole time she ignored him and treated him like dirt in favor of gossiping with others. I was wishing the man friend would just slap her hard and leave her standing there with a burning red cheek!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
stevea

Yeah she really did care about Harold. I kind of felt sorry for her in the 4th season episode where he was in his tweens stage, and she was wiping ice cream off him, and he rejected her. She really should have known it would embarrass him in front of his friends--and the teacher tried to warn her--but she was still well-meaning and probably didn't know anything about raising a boy. The little girl he was fond of ultimately disappointed him (by dissing football), and she had him back for a little longer.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
I know just how you feel. THOUGH, it took me decades to get to the point where you are now. I have always said Hazel & Adv. of Superman (George Reeves) were my 2 all time favorite shows. I saw Hazel as a kid in the '60's when it was first broadcast. I started watching again when it finally returned to TV on CBN in the mid to late '80's. I've been watching on a weekly basis since then (the '80s). So I've seen Hazel now so many times I can predict every move. But still I enjoyed the series immensely. UNTIL about 4 years ago, I found myself getting angry and angrier as the show went on and Hazel continued to butt in everybody's business constantly undermining Mr. B, going against his wishes, actively opposing him and plotting with the rest of the family against him. It got to the point I couldn't stand to watch it anymore without feeling like yelling at the screen "YOU'RE FIRED!!" (This was before our president made this famous).

At any rate finally this last go round with Hazel watching every week I decided would be my last. I would just have to give Hazel watching a break if I wanted to control my blood pressure. So as of about a month or more ago I reached the last episode (I've always watched her with DVDs and always in episode guide order) after watching that last episode I decided that's it, no more for a while. So I no longer find myself getting hopping mad when watching my great old sitcoms, Hazel is on the shelf now for who knows how long, at least a couple years. I'm hoping I will be able to return to Hazel and enjoy it again as I used to for so long. But for now, it's break time for me. My blood pressure thanks me too. I just couldn't take anymore of her big interfering mouth constantly going against what Mr. B. commanded.

Hazel is a good show but watching any show SUPER FREQUENTLY is bound to make you tired of it. I can take the shortcomings of Hazel with a grain of salt because I don't watch it that often. My pet peeve with the show? How Hazel ALWAYS saves the day. Honestly the only thing the writer's haven't had her do is discover a cure for cancer.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

She meddled because she cared.

Please release the remaining seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies & Petticoat Junction
Old 10-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
PracTz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
She meddled because she cared.

That's what meddlers often say to try to guilt trip their victims.

P.S. I do remember ONE episode in which her meddling kinda backfired on her. It was when she tried to save this small lake that everyone else in town had good reason to get rid of. Anyway, it turned out that the REAL reason Hazel wanted to save it was that that was the spot where her sailor flame had courted her but then it turned out that he courted LOTS of landbound suitors there so, in the end, she joined the others to want to get rid of that lake!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Wink Well, they ain't ALL bad, BUT it's still too soon

You all made good points. I even hate to say anything negative about Hazel considering how I USED to feel about the show. I'll come back to it again and hopefully I'll be like Oh Nuts and ignore the maddening buttinsky sabotaging insubordinate traitorous actions of Hazel against her Lord & Master, Mr. B. Hmm, I felt myself getting mad again just thinking of all the reasons I couldn't stand watching anymore. OK, it's break time at least for a few years till I can get reach Oh Nuts's higher level of calm feeling about the show. I aspire to be Nuts.

Oh, another thing that annoyed me after a long while of watching was Dorothy's seeming constant threatening to leave Mr. B if he didn't obey Hazel's orders or do whatever Hazel wanted. Just once I would have loved Mr. B to say, there's the door, USE IT.

By the way, not all the shows were maddening, whenever Hazel and the Baxter family were ALL working together on one team, no one going behind anyone's back, those were the shows I still could enjoy. Generally when ALL the Baxters and Hazel are on the same page, those are the shows I could still watch with a smile. Like when the evil secretary tried to keep Hazel from attending her cousin's wedding, all Baxters were on same side then. When Hazel found painting of her as a little girl was painted by a now famous painter all were on same side, when Baxters and Hazel all helped out at the Italian restaurant run by the total sap Jamie Farr who didn't seem to know how to tie his own shoes much less be the owner of a restaurant. Also a handful of other episodes whenever Hazel was not betraying Mr. B, those are shows I could still enjoy.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
stevea

I like it when Hazel reduces Deirdre a few notches. I also like it when Deirdre's meely-mouthed husband grows a couple once in awhile and tells her off.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
I like it when Hazel reduces Deirdre a few notches. I also like it when Deirdre's meely-mouthed husband grows a couple once in awhile and tells her off.

Yeah that Diedre always had a major bug up her a**. The snob to end all snobs, and pushy too. Amazing how she never tripped over anything with her nose all up in the air and head tilted up. I WILL NEVER TIRE of watching Hazel take Diedre down! Gucci shoes and all.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
You all made good points. I even hate to say anything negative about Hazel considering how I USED to feel about the show. I'll come back to it again and hopefully I'll be like Oh Nuts and ignore the maddening buttinsky sabotaging insubordinate traitorous actions of Hazel against her Lord & Master, Mr. B. Hmm, I felt myself getting mad again just thinking of all the reasons I couldn't stand watching anymore. OK, it's break time at least for a few years till I can get reach Oh Nuts's higher level of calm feeling about the show. I aspire to be Nuts.

Oh, another thing that annoyed me after a long while of watching was Dorothy's seeming constant threatening to leave Mr. B if he didn't obey Hazel's orders or do whatever Hazel wanted. Just once I would have loved Mr. B to say, there's the door, USE IT.

By the way, not all the shows were maddening, whenever Hazel and the Baxter family were ALL working together on one team, no one going behind anyone's back, those were the shows I still could enjoy. Generally when ALL the Baxters and Hazel are on the same page, those are the shows I could still watch with a smile. Like when the evil secretary tried to keep Hazel from attending her cousin's wedding, all Baxters were on same side then. When Hazel found painting of her as a little girl was painted by a now famous painter all were on same side, when Baxters and Hazel all helped out at the Italian restaurant run by the total sap Jamie Farr who didn't seem to know how to tie his own shoes much less be the owner of a restaurant. Also a handful of other episodes whenever Hazel was not betraying Mr. B, those are shows I could still enjoy.

You are definitely suffering from Hazel burnout!!! There are so many other great shows out there: Watch at least 4 or 5 of your other favs--and when you come to Hazel after a year or so you may see it with fresh eyes.

Last edited by OH Nuts! : 10-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #13
Alan Brady's Hair

They had the episode today where Barney the mailman plays hooky to go fishing, and Hazel puts out an all-points bulletin on him. He should have kept lots of distance between himself and Hazel after that.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #14
retroTVfan4ever

Hazel can be annoying sometimes with how she butts in to other people's business, but the way I look at it, it's a TV show, Shirley Booth is the star and Hazel is the main character the show revolves around, so Hazel had to have a boisterous personality in order for the show to work. If Hazel had a meek personality, kept quiet, always obeyed Mr. B. and strictly stayed to her household duties, that would be boring, few people would have watched and I imagine the show would have been cancelled fairly quickly.

Hazel would never have been fired, Shirley Booth was the star of the show. The scripts often had her at odds with Mr. B., who was supposed to be her boss, but Hazel was really the one in charge of the house whether Mr. B. liked it or not , that's the gimmick which made the show work. LOL, of course Hazel is always right. It was her show, it was named after her, Hazel could do no wrong.

The main gripe I have with the show is that I think it could have been written to be funnier, but instead there tends to be drama mixed in with the humor so the show plays more like a dramedy rather than a traditional sitcom.

My favorite season of the show is season 2, in my opinion that's overall the best season, several of my favorite episodes are from season 2, The Natural Athlete, Hazel's Luck, and Oh My Aching Back to name a few.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever : 10-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
stevea

I like those episodes where she bargains with Mr B for a raise.