Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

To have your access for this board blocked, please PM TJ.

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Politics
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #61
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqui-Michel
You think the pioneers of the Civil and Women's Rights movements would have had any success by just wearing a patch on their clothing or protesting at times and places when it was convenient? Were they being selfish whiners to get their way? Of course not because the need for equality and fairness is not selfish need.
People wonít start paying attention to your cause unless you find ways to make them listen. I understand why players are kneeling and it doesnít bother me. I can understand why they have gripes with the system. I do too.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #62
DadTheKing
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
People wonít start paying attention to your cause unless you find ways to make them listen. I understand why players are kneeling and it doesnít bother me. I can understand why they have gripes with the system. I do too.
Nothing wrong with protesting. But have the decency to be respectful. Just because you can get attention by dissing the flag, does not make it right. Would you support protesting at a funeral? A wedding? Would you go to PR and protest in front of the hurricane damage? These would give you attention too. This is about respect and decency, not freedom of speech. Somehow many Americans have forgotten how to act respectfully. Their own selfish desires are held above other peoples feeling. That makes them a pig. Nothing but a greedy pig. America is speaking now. The NFL is learning there are consequences for being a stupid pig.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #63
mets82

I'm trying to think of a compromise. What if they kneel before/and or after the Anthem?

If people protest which they have done in the past few months, why can't players have a peaceful march/protest?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #64
bandito
Going Topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I'm trying to think of a compromise. What if they kneel before/and or after the Anthem?

If people protest which they have done in the past few months, why can't players have a peaceful march/protest?
They can have a peaceful protest but they need to do it on their own time not on the coin the fans hard earned money went to watch them play a game. I'll bet you will never ever see a NFL player protest on his own time away from the spot light. Attention whores are all they are.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #65
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadTheKing
Nothing wrong with protesting. But have the decency to be respectful. Just because you can get attention by dissing the flag, does not make it right. Would you support protesting at a funeral? A wedding? Would you go to PR and protest in front of the hurricane damage? These would give you attention too. This is about respect and decency, not freedom of speech. Somehow many Americans have forgotten how to act respectfully. Their own selfish desires are held above other peoples feeling. That makes them a pig. Nothing but a greedy pig. America is speaking now. The NFL is learning there are consequences for being a stupid pig.
Conform or be cast out?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #66
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadTheKing
I would say respect and decency was strongly curtailed in American society with the way Trump ran his campaign and the fact that it was effective in getting him elected. A lot of Republicans in office seem to have no regard for decency and respect. Kneeling during the national anthem seems a lot less severe in comparison.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #67
Dianne3
Forum Regular

I'm not going to get into the politics here since it's not my place.

The NFL I am major turned off. People watch sports as an escape from the real world. The NFL which for the longest time was invincible that no matter how many of their players were arrested (wife/girlfriend beating is usually the no.1 crime), it didn't seem to affect their popularity.

Last year, TV ratings were way, way down. I think the NFL may have had to repay the networks some money. (not 100% sure). There were lots of discussions on message boards why. The only thing different last year from previous years was a combination of the anthem protests and the NFL not letting the Cowboys honor the five murdered police officers.

Just a week in the season I saw of the PTI show a segment about the NFL is having trouble filling their stadiums. This was of course before last weekend.

The NFL is going to pay a major, heavy price for this. My sport is the NHL and now the Pittsburgh Penguins are being dragged into this because they will keep their White House visit. However, the Pittsburgh mayor won't be attending.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #68
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
I would say respect and decency was strongly curtailed in American society with the way Trump ran his campaign and the fact that it was effective in getting him elected. A lot of Republicans in office seem to have no regard for decency and respect. Kneeling during the national anthem seems a lot less severe in comparison.

True. Trump brought out racism in a way I have never seen before. Not to mention bullying. He started it with his Republican opponents by bashing them and yet people liked it. The fact is there are many racists in this country and most were quiet and didn't vote until they were encouraged by Trump. I have zero respect for racists.Trump went after the NFL because they are majority black and his base consists of many racists. I'm not talking Republicans, I'm talking Trump. People can't accept that but it's true and people know it. Since the election I've seen people do incredibly racist things and say things that used to be wrong. I mean, I am seeing Klan flyers in my neighborhood. The Klan never endorses a candidate but they did Trump. Not all Trumpers are racists but most racists are Trumpers.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #69
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
True. Trump brought out racism in a way I have never seen before. Not to mention bullying. He started it with his Republican opponents by bashing them and yet people liked it. The fact is there are many racists in this country and most were quiet and didn't vote until they were encouraged by Trump. I have zero respect for racists.Trump went after the NFL because they are majority black and his base consists of many racists. I'm not talking Republicans, I'm talking Trump. People can't accept that but it's true and people know it. Since the election I've seen people do incredibly racist things and say things that used to be wrong. I mean, I am seeing Klan flyers in my neighborhood. The Klan never endorses a candidate but they did Trump. Not all Trumpers are racists but most racists are Trumpers.
You have to give love to get love. Trump and his supporters should realize they get back hate because thatís what they send out.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #70
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
You have to give love to get love. Trump and his supporters should realize they get back hate because thatís what they send out.

The sad thing is they don't care. I have never had problems with people politically before now. I get along with Republicans, Democrats but hardcore Trump supporters are another case because so many are bigots. I don't get being so hateful.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #71
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
I'm not going to get into the politics here since it's not my place.

The NFL I am major turned off. People watch sports as an escape from the real world. The NFL which for the longest time was invincible that no matter how many of their players were arrested (wife/girlfriend beating is usually the no.1 crime), it didn't seem to affect their popularity.

Last year, TV ratings were way, way down. I think the NFL may have had to repay the networks some money. (not 100% sure). There were lots of discussions on message boards why. The only thing different last year from previous years was a combination of the anthem protests and the NFL not letting the Cowboys honor the five murdered police officers.

Just a week in the season I saw of the PTI show a segment about the NFL is having trouble filling their stadiums. This was of course before last weekend.

The NFL is going to pay a major, heavy price for this. My sport is the NHL and now the Pittsburgh Penguins are being dragged into this because they will keep their White House visit. However, the Pittsburgh mayor won't be attending.

I think football ratings are down because there's only 3-4 teams that are good, 27 teams that are good or bad,...and then there's the Cleveland Clowns!

But with football being po-li-ti-cal... that's a major turn-off!

And next Monday is "Columbus" Day... I use that in quotation marks because now we may have to have it be Indigenous People's Day because that's more Politically Correct! How many natives even care? And I'm sure ANTIFA will say "Christopher Columbus Must Be Crucified For Genocide"!

Anti-Columbus Day thing isn't new...in 1892, many Klansmen didn't want to celebrate Columbus Day because Columbus was Italian. In a way, taking away Columbus Day is a big slap in the face towards the Italian-Americans! I'm 100% American, but the cons of Columbus were that he sailed for the Spanish who wanted gold for themselves! His second through fourth voyages to the New World were disastrous and even his crew hated him! The pros of Columbus were that he found new resources, he had other countries go to the new world, and the Genocide to me is TOO carried away! If that was true, all the Caribbean Tribesmen would be completely gone. And the Europeans then needed better trade routes to Asia since going across the Silk Route was dangerous in the 15th Century because of Mongols and Turks since Constantinople was no more then.

My dad said I shouldn't be gung-ho of my Italian heritage since I'm all American, but if I see a Liberal saying "Christopher Columbus is a mass-murderer" while driving a Volkswagen...then I'd have a problem with that! If I was able to have things right... October should be Indigenous People's Month, October 12th should be "Renaissance Day" since Columbus did land in the New World in October and Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theises on October 31st. August 15th should be a Minor Holiday for the United States and be called "Assumption Day" since many Italian-Americans celebrate that day because some think Mary went to Heaven and have August be Italian-American Heritage Month. And the Slavic-Americans...they should have April be Slavic-American Heritage Month and Easter Monday as a minor holiday in America...and Slavic-American Heritage Month would include the Polish, Czech, Slovakian, Croatian, Slovenian, and Russian-Americans to name a few....

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #72
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
The sad thing is they don't care. I have never had problems with people politically before now. I get along with Republicans, Democrats but hardcore Trump supporters are another case because so many are bigots. I don't get being so hateful.

I kind of agree but I think, and this is just my opinion, but I think some bigots use Trump as an excuse. They say things because Trump says it but I think it's an excuse.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #73
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
[/b]

I kind of agree but I think, and this is just my opinion, but I think some bigots use Trump as an excuse. They say things because Trump says it but I think it's an excuse.

I think so too. I think many are racists and either like Trump because he might be a racist or use him as an excuse.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #74
mets82

Sadly, there will be racists and bigots before Trump and after Trump.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #75
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Sadly, there will be racists and bigots before Trump and after Trump.

Yep but they seem to be more outspoken than they have in years. To be fair, some became outspoken due to Obama and birtherism.