Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Default Could Pat Morita's character have been arrested in the first Karate Kid movie?

I know he was doing it to protect his friend Danny Laruso who was played by Ralph Macchio; but when he jumped those five dudes, could he have been charged with assaulting minors since they were probably the same age as Danny?
Take care and God bless
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

I just looked at the scene. If you watch carefully, you'll see that in each instance Mr. Miyagi is acting defensively. The other person makes the first move, and he counters it. So he didn't jump anybody.

That said, the general rule is that a person has the same rights in defending someone else as they would have in defending themselves. So, if Mr. Miyagi had gone in just cleaned house to drive off the attackers, that would be fine without any regard to their ages.

Where he could get in trouble would be excessive force, like trying to injure someone further after they'd been subdued, or pursuing someone after they had fled.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Babalu

I think if the producers thought if you believed he caught a fly with chopsticks you'd pretty much believe anything.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Well I have parts two and three to go before I think about the one where he took on a female student and the Jackie Chan remake of it. I know in that particular fight, he kicked one of the kids in the crotch. As far as catching flies with chopsticks goes, I doubt that Ralph Macchio actually did that; but if the weather is at an uncomfortable enough temperature for flies, it probably wouldn't be difficult to pick one up. I remember learning about that in fourth grade, but anyone trying very hard to catch flies with chopsticks would have too much time on their hands.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Irelan
Frequent Poster

I studied martial arts long after The Karate Kid came out at a school that taught Jeet kune do and could've given John Boy Lawrence a run for his money in that tournament since they did allow leg breaking techniques. I've never been taught that; but of course, like so many people who may not have seen the movie were familiar with that infamous jump snap kick. I do know of a good offensive technique that would've been worth one point and a defensive technique that would've landed him in the hospital with a broken arm. I remember trying part of it that didn't actually break anyone's arm of course because it is a discipline that is only meant to be used in defensive of myself or another; and when I say another, I wouldn't put it past me to use martial arts to protect a harmless snake because they're my favorite creatures and are much better behaved than big dogs that people keep. Anyway, I had asked the instructor if I could use part of that last technique while sparring; and he said yes and stated the conditions and then told me later when I was doing it that it wasn't allowed and that it was a cheap shot.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
mets82

I do think that Mr. Miyagi was just defending Daniel. I mean it was 5 on 1. I never thought he did anything wrong.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Irelan
Frequent Poster

I didn't believe he was doing wrong and was just making sure it would've been legal; and after the answer I got, I was satisfied with the answer I got earlier. It might not give me the right to use martial arts to protect a garter snake from a minor, but I would definitely be trying to catch it and keep it safe. I've been bit several times by snakes that I would be catching and trying to keep as pets before they escaped, and the last one was a black racer.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelan
As far as catching flies with chopsticks goes, I doubt that Ralph Macchio actually did that; but if the weather is at an uncomfortable enough temperature for flies, it probably wouldn't be difficult to pick one up.

If you saw the movie you would know that Mr. Miyagi caught the fly in flight with chop sticks. That was part of the plot. Of course it wasn't real. The movie is fiction.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Irelan
Frequent Poster

I did see the movie, and I'm watching part two of that trilogy now, and part three will be next because I DVR'd them off of El-Ray. Daniel Laruso saw him trying to do it in part one and asked him if he had ever done it before and was told no. He then asked if he could try and succeeded and Miyagi said it was beginner's luck in broken English even though he was probably more fluent in real life since he was born in Los Angeles. In addition to his days on Happy Days, it seems like I remember him having another TV series.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Irelan
Frequent Poster

This isn't really a question about the second movie that I'm looking for a serious answer for; but I noticed he was pointing out the rules of karate to his student and saying to use it in defense only; and for the second rule, learn rule number one. They didn't say if there were any more rules, so what's the 5 billionth rule? That's my basically my lucky number.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Aside from the fact that the older dude finally decided the jealousy over a girl in the past was worth letting go after what Miyagi did for him during that typhoon or whatever kind of storm that was as opposed to insisting on a fight to the death, the fight between the title character and the younger one seemed to be about the same thing that the first one got into it with John Boy in the first one except that he was threatening to kill the girl that I thought he had some crush on. Personally, if some dude was dating a girl and thought I was talking to her too much, I'd do my best to do permanent damage to his reproductive system; and if she wanted him, she could have him. I hope the third one doesn't turn out to be over some girl and that the last one Morita-san made wasn't some glorified cat fight between the same dude. If I had two girls wanting me that bad, I'd be trying to make equal time for both of them.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Dude111

He is defending... Not the same at all...

I LOVE THE ORIGINAL MOVIE......
Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Yes, the first one was okay, except for the language; but as soon as I found out that they were ex boyfriend and girlfriend and wasn't able to handle him, I would've told the girl I'm not interested and requested that she find someone else instead of being a punching bag for that bully. She looked okay, but there are plenty of girls who are as cute or cuter.
Take care and God bless
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Irelan
Frequent Poster

Girl in the third movie as I figured. First seemed to literally about the girl in the first one while the see of had an Asian girl who appear to be planning move over here, and the third one has some girl who mentioned a boyfriend, and the boy who didn't want to enter the tournament was bullied and threatened under worse circumstances. Me, I've been in tournaments but competed in forms more than anything else.
Take care and God bless