Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #16
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura
Pardon me the confusion, sir.
But character or actor doesn't change much.

Speaking of confusion, I'm not real sure what you're trying to say.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
principehomura
Forum Regular
80s/90s tv fan

Location: SEA, NY, CHI, COL | WA, BOS, BAL, MIA | KY, VT | Twin Peaks, Lanford, Dillon, Sunnydale, Stars Hollow | Springfield, Duckburg | Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
Speaking of confusion, I'm not real sure what you're trying to say.
Sorry DJM77, I totally misintrerpreted your previous post.
I thought you were correcting me (since he was talking about the character and at first I undestood the actor), then I was trying to say that I still found it to be in poor taste.

Favs:
Frasier, Friends, Roseanne, Family Ties, The Nanny
The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Gilmore Girls, Friday Night Lights
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Miami Vice
Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #18
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

So, we had "an undifferentiated heap of garbage" for '89?

Coincidentally I just bought a book on Knots Landing, and the series was still pretty much going strong that year. It was one of my friends' favorites in the late '80s. For '89, I was watching Night Court, Head of the Class, Murphy Brown, Cheers, and Matlock pretty regularly, and occasionally Wonder Years, Married with Children, Major Dad, Newhart, and Perfect Strangers.

I would trade those shows for the Fall 2017 lineup without hesitation. The writer is free to be an idiot.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
danderson400
Forum Regular

In 1989, i was watching American Gladiators, China Beach, Matlock, The Wonder Years, Life Goes On and Quantum Leap. If i watched other shows, i don't remember them.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

In 1989, I was watching Quantum Leap (parents' choice), Rescue 911 (parents' choice), Hey Dude, Saved By the Bell, American Gladiators, Life Goes On (parents' choice), Sister Kate, Family Matters, Free Spirit, The Simpsons, Family Ties, Small Wonder, Kate and Allie (parents' choice), Day By Day, Hard Time on Planet Earth, MacGyver, Married With Children, Newhart, Designing Women, The Hogan Family, ALF, Who's the Boss, Roseanne, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, My Two Dads, The Cosby Show, A Different World, Cheers, Full House, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers, Just the Ten of Us, Father Dowling Mysteries, The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Murder She Wrote (parents' choice), My Two Dads, Grand, 20/20 (parents' choice), Double Dare, You Can't Do That on Television, Hometime, The Joy of Painting, This Old House, reruns on Nick at Nite, and possibly a few others.

The Fox shows aired on a really poor UHF signal, and I couldn't always get a strong enough signal to watch them, even with every piece of aluminum foil in the house; even at the best of times, those shows were pretty snowy. And only the small television in my bedroom received the signal. The main family TV in the living room couldn't receive the signal well enough to see much of anything.

We didn't have cable, so I could only watch the Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite shows when we were at my grandparents' house, my aunts' house, or a friend's house. I loved going to my grandparents' house just for the opportunity to watch a kids' channel!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #21
IllinoisTVFan

Life Goes On was a great show and so was Quantum Leap and both lasted awhile. Let's not forget they mentioned Family Matters which became very popular. I admit I watched both Free Spirit and Living Dolls and neither lasted.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 AM   #22
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
In 1989, I was watching Quantum Leap (parents' choice), Rescue 911 (parents' choice), Hey Dude, Saved By the Bell, American Gladiators, Life Goes On (parents' choice), Sister Kate, Family Matters, Free Spirit, The Simpsons, Family Ties, Small Wonder, Kate and Allie (parents' choice), Day By Day, Hard Time on Planet Earth, MacGyver, Married With Children, Newhart, Designing Women, The Hogan Family, ALF, Who's the Boss, Roseanne, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, My Two Dads, The Cosby Show, A Different World, Cheers, Full House, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers, Just the Ten of Us, Father Dowling Mysteries, The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Murder She Wrote (parents' choice), My Two Dads, Grand, 20/20 (parents' choice), Double Dare, You Can't Do That on Television, Hometime, The Joy of Painting, This Old House, reruns on Nick at Nite, and possibly a few others.

The Fox shows aired on a really poor UHF signal, and I couldn't always get a strong enough signal to watch them, even with every piece of aluminum foil in the house; even at the best of times, those shows were pretty snowy. And only the small television in my bedroom received the signal. The main family TV in the living room couldn't receive the signal well enough to see much of anything.

We didn't have cable, so I could only watch the Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite shows when we were at my grandparents' house, my aunts' house, or a friend's house. I loved going to my grandparents' house just for the opportunity to watch a kids' channel!

For the most part, i watched China Beach, American Gladiators, Life Goes On(that was my moms choice), Full House, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers, Just the Ten of Us, The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and i can't remember any others.

In 1990, there were changes, for example on Wednesdays, i replaced China Beach with Quantum Leap, so that was the first NBC show i had watched regularly since St. Elsewhere. I didn't watch The Golden Girls or Empty Nest that year either, since China Beach was on opposite both. Twin Peaks was another show i watched regularly in 1990 too.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:45 AM   #23
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
Life Goes On was a great show and so was Quantum Leap and both lasted awhile. Let's not forget they mentioned Family Matters which became very popular. I admit I watched both Free Spirit and Living Dolls and neither lasted.

Well, as popular as Family Matters was, it was not a good show. I watched it until it became The Steve Urkel Show, simply a vehicle for Jaleel White. One day I tuned in, and instead of a show about a black family in Chicago, there was a "cool" Urkel, a robotic Urkel, a time-traveling Urkel, a female Urkel, a girl in love with Urkel, an Urkel-mobile, and little Judy Winslow's bones were apparently buried in the basement.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #24
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
For the most part, i watched China Beach, American Gladiators, Life Goes On(that was my moms choice), Full House, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers, Just the Ten of Us, The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and i can't remember any others.

I never watched much China Beach, but I know that one got a lot of critical acclaim, and I do remember they had a great theme song: Reflections by Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Quote:
In 1990, there were changes, for example on Wednesdays, i replaced China Beach with Quantum Leap, so that was the first NBC show i had watched regularly since St. Elsewhere. I didn't watch The Golden Girls or Empty Nest that year either, since China Beach was on opposite both. Twin Peaks was another show i watched regularly in 1990 too.

I never cared for Twin Peaks (too weird), but the rest you mention were ones I watched. Not all great television, but entertaining at the time, for sure. And many are now classics!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 AM   #25
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Allot better than 1979 or present.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #26
principehomura
Forum Regular
80s/90s tv fan

Location: SEA, NY, CHI, COL | WA, BOS, BAL, MIA | KY, VT | Twin Peaks, Lanford, Dillon, Sunnydale, Stars Hollow | Springfield, Duckburg | Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
and little Judy Winslow's bones were apparently buried in the basement.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #27
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I don't remember watching several of the sitcoms mentioned in this thread in primetime -- My Two Dads, Designing Women, Just the Ten of Us, A Different World, Who's the Boss, Kate & Allie, and Empty Nest -- but I later sought all of those out, and viewed most of them regularly in syndication.

A couple of mentions, This Old House and Hometime, I've watched from back then to the present.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #29
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Family Matters is the only show I can remember that started in the fall of 89 and had success.

what other show started in fall of 89 and lasted well into the 90's?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #30
jimpickens
Forum Regular

COPS Rescue 911 Anything But Love Major Dad Baywatch.