Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Sports
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Cool Cleveland Indians have broke the AL record for consecutive wins!

Quote:
Jay Bruce, Roberto Perez provide power, bullpen lifts Cleveland Indians to record-setting 21st straight win
Updated on September 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Posted on September 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM

By Joe Noga, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- An early-inning home run, some quality innings from the bullpen and a little timely defense. The formula remained relatively the same Wednesday for the streaking Cleveland Indians, and the result did, too.

Jay Bruce and Roberto Perez provided the thunder and the Tribe's bullpen tossed 3 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of starter Mike Clevinger, lifting the Indians to their 21st consecutive victory, 5-3 against the Detroit Tigers.

The win establishes a new American League record for consecutive victories, breaking Cleveland's hours-old tie with the 2002 Oakland A's, while also cutting the club's magic number to clinch a division title to 4.

Bruce put the Indians in front with a three-run home run in the first inning that barely cleared the wall in left center. It was his fifth homer as a member of the Indians and 34th of the season, tying a career high he established in 2012.

"He brings that RBI productive bat that sits behind Edwin (Encarnacion) and around Carlos (Santana)," Manager Terry Francona said of Bruce after the game. "You make a mistake and he knows what to do with it."

Encarnacion added an RBI single on a shallow fly ball to right field that chased home Jose Ramirez from second base in the third inning, and Perez provided some insurance with a 428-foot solo blast to center in the seventh.

The Indians have hit 41 home runs during their winning streak, while at the same time allowing just 35 total runs to their opposition. Perez's home run of Tigers reliever James Norris was his sixth of the season and second in as many starts.

"I'm trying to stay within myself in those moments," Perez said. "I don't try to do too much. He missed a location and I put a good swing on it."

Clevinger surrendered a two-out RBI double to Detroit's Jeimer Candelario in the first, and lasted five more innings, striking out six before before allowing a pair of unearned runs in the sixth. Nick Goody, Tyler Olson, Bryan Shaw and Cody Allen combined to shut down Tigers hitters the rest of the way.

"I don't think you see that electric of an atmosphere every September noon game," Clevinger said. "That added pressure lets us stay locked in. I know we've got a good lead in the division, but this just allows us to stay on the same track and keep our work steady."

Meanwhile, Cleveland's normally steady defense suffered a few hiccups before Giovanny Urshela flashed some nifty glove work late in the game. Urshela's diving one-out stop of a John Hicks grounder in the eighth saved a run after Shaw had committed the Tribe's second error of the game on a comeback chopper to the mound.

Urshela smothered the ball Hicks hit and threw from his belly to Ramirez at second base to force out Candelario. Shaw then retired Andrew Romine on a grounder to third to end the inning.

"That was a game-changer, that play," Perez said of Urshela's effort. "That's why they put him in in the seventh inning, to have a chance to save the game. He's definitely unbelievable."

Detroit's frustration boiled over in the bottom of the third inning following a two-out walk to Bruce. Home plate umpire Quinn Wolcott ejected Tigers catcher James McCann after an exchange, and moments later he tossed manager Brad Ausmus, who emerged from the dugout to get an explanation.

It was the first career ejection for McCann, while Ausmus earned his sixth ejection this season and 16th of his managerial career.

What it means

The Indians swept a series against Detroit for the second time during their current 21-game winning streak, and claimed the season series, 13-6, against the Tigers. They moved to 14-0 in September, the club's best-ever start to a calendar month.

Leading man

Lindor led off the bottom of the first inning with a double down the right field line. It was the third time in the last four games that Lindor has led off the bottom of the first with an extra base hit (two doubles, HR).

September showers

After Jose Ramirez popped out to first base for the second out in the fifth inning, the Progressive Field sprinkler system was accidentally activated in left and center field. Tigers outfielder Alex Presley barely moved from his position while the Indians grounds crew scrambled to restore order.

Off to the races

Carlos Santana missed out on delivering Cleveland's second inside-the-park home run in as many seasons in the eighth inning when his long fly ball hit off the center field wall and ricocheted toward right field. Santana rounded third but was thrown out at the plate by a good five feet. Had he been successful, it would have marked the Tribe's first inside-the-park homer since Tyler Naquin's memorable walk-off winner against Toronto last season.

People are watching

About a quarter of a million homes in Northeast Ohio tuned in for Tuesday night's Indians-Tigers matchup on SportsTime Ohio. It was the second-highest rated telecast this season behind opening day on April 11. According to Nielsen, ratings for Indians September games are up 50 percent over 2016. To date, ratings are up 27 percent over 2016 figures through this time.

The pitches

Clevinger threw 98 pitches, 64 (65 percent) for strikes. Farmer threw 98 pitches, 53 (54 percent) for strikes.

Thanks for coming

The Tigers and Indians drew 29,346 fans to Progressive Field on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch was at 12:10 p.m. with a temperature of 76 degrees.
Attendance for the three-game series with Detroit was 72,521.

Next

Kansas City arrives at Progressive Field on Thursday to open a four-game series against the Tribe. Right-hander Josh Tomlin (9-9, 5.13) will face Royals righty Jakob Junis (7-2, 4.34) in the opener. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. with SportsTime Ohio, WTAM/1100 and WMMS/FM 100.7 carrying the game.

Tomlin is 5-0 with a 2.57 earned run average in his last six starts dating back to July 6. He has allowed no more than three runs in each of those six outings.

My question now...can the Cleveland Indians go 27 in a row beating the 1916 New York Giants record?

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)

Last edited by MrCleveland : 09-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Minor correction. It was the 1916 Giants.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

Perhaps the winning streak will end this weekend vs. Kansas City. Might be tough to sweep 4 from the Royals. Will see what happens.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Minor correction. It was the 1916 Giants.

I fixed it...
Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

22 in a row.

Tonight one strike away from losing....

Last edited by opus : 09-14-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
IllinoisTVFan

If either the Cubs or Sox miss the playoffs (and I suspect that will be the case) I am rooting on Cleveland. They are losers like Cubs so it's their turn next.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

The Indians lost tonight, but maybe we can have #22 as The Winning Streak like how #455 as named The Fans that went to Progressive Field.

Last edited by MrCleveland : 09-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
retroTVfan4ever

Yep I figured the Royals would put an end to the winning streak. The Indians need to cool off a little anyway, if they win too many games now before the season is over they might get swept in the first round when the playoffs start. Save some energy for playoff time.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever : 09-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Babalu

It means nothing unless they win the World Series. The Warriors had the best won/loss record in history last year but they lost in the playoffs so it meant nothing.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
It means nothing unless they win the World Series. The Warriors had the best won/loss record in history last year but they lost in the playoffs so it meant nothing.

I think the Cleveland Indians will win the World Series.

I think they should...since it's been a hard year for me...
Old 09-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
retroTVfan4ever

Maybe it will be a replay of last years series, Cubs vs. Indians. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it ended up that way.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

So far, the Cleveland Indians only had 3 losses in September.

I think that may be a record for how many losses a team has had in a month...
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Maybe it will be a replay of last years series, Cubs vs. Indians. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it ended up that way.

The way game 4 went...the Cleveland Idiots will be buying tickets to the World Series rather than being in the World Series!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #15
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
The way game 4 went...the Cleveland Idiots will be buying tickets to the World Series rather than being in the World Series!

It's all coming down to game 5, at least the game will be in Cleveland so they will have home field advantage. Will see what happens. But whoever advances, Yanks or Indians, Houston will be tough to beat.