Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
LaBestia
Chris Harrison Rules

Default Stephen King's It

I heard that they are gonna make a movie of Stephen King's novel It and when I heard about this movie I got shocked because the only time i've heard of Stephen King's It was the TV miniseries that was done in the 90's. Now that Stephen King's It is gonna be in theaters soon I wonder if Stephen King will get more readers of his novels and his novels will be rereleased in new editions
Bestie
Good Morning Chris Harrison "What Final Answers Do You Have For Your #1 Fan This Wonderful Morning?"
Old 09-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
MikaelaArsenault
Ciao, baby!

I prefer the TV miniseries version of The Shining instead.

And Harry Anderson too.

https://ilovewhoseline.imgur.com/all/

http://whoselinefan.imgur.com/all/

Antenna TV, MeTV, Decades, Laff, and Cozi TV, please add Dave's World and The John Larroquette Show to your lineups. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia
I heard that they are gonna make a movie of Stephen King's novel It and when I heard about this movie I got shocked because the only time i've heard of Stephen King's It was the TV miniseries that was done in the 90's. Now that Stephen King's It is gonna be in theaters soon I wonder if Stephen King will get more readers of his novels and his novels will be rereleased in new editions
Bestie

I saw a trailer for the Stephen King IT movie in the theater when I saw Annabelle!! Looks like it will be really good if you are into horror movies! Very scary!! . I'm going to see IT!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
Tubehead

Default stephen king & it movies

Stephen King wants to get back his rights to his horror movies!!
http://movieweb.com/stephen-king-win...ujo-creepshow/

IT 2 Will Explore Cosmic Dimension and Return to 1989
http://movieweb.com/it-2-story-cosmi...eturn-to-1989/
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia
Bestie

I don't think Stephen King has a shortage of readers. Not really shocking considering It is one of Stephen King's most highly regarded books. And most likely the book will be re released as pretty much all of his books have been re released to promote the movies based on his books, even the entire Dark Tower series was re released, each one saying based on the motion picture...even though the Dark Tower movie turned out to be crap.

I'm taking my daughter to see It when it's released, and if it goes over we'll see the continuation film released as the movie coming out on the 8th of this month will be about the children characters, and the second movie will be about the adult versions.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

I hate to be one of "those guys", but the book was better than the older series and will be better than this new movie/movies based on it - that doesn't mean that it can't be a decent movie in its own right, but movies based on Stephen King's books are never as good as the books, and are often a LOT worse.

Apparently we are going to go see the Dark Tower, which is somewhat loosely based on part of the books, I will keep an open mind but I am not going to expect it to be anything like the books.

My favorite movie adaptations of his books would be Firestarter and Bag of Bones
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

I don't know, I think the good out weight the bad. And I'm not counting all of the sequels outside of Creepshow 2 as none of them were based on his work.
Carrie, The Shining (1980), The Dead Zone, Cujo, Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Misery, Delores Claiborne, Hearts In Atlantis, Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Silver Bullet, The Mist, Firestarter.

For TV: Salem's Lot (1979), 11/22/63, Nightmares & Dreamscapes

Saw The Dark Tower, it stinks. It's up there with the worst of the worst of his adaptations.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
I don't know, I think the good out weight the bad. And I'm not counting all of the sequels outside of Creepshow 2 as none of them were based on his work.
Carrie, The Shining (1980), The Dead Zone, Cujo, Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Misery, Delores Claiborne, Hearts In Atlantis, Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Silver Bullet, The Mist, Firestarter.

For TV: Salem's Lot, 11/22/63, Nightmares & Dreamscapes

Saw The Dark Tower, it stinks. It's up there with the worst of the worst of his adaptations.

Good King Movie Adaptations: The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, Misery, The Shining (original), Cat's Eye, Pet Sematary, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, Carrie

Not So Good: Cujo, Firestarter, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet, Storm of the Century, Apt Pupil

There's a good number I haven't seen, unfortunately.

As far as "It", I liked the 90s series; it was imperfect, but still good. This one looks good. However, like most remakes, I don't see the actual need for it. I've read the book, so I know what happens. And I've seen the story put on film. What exactly do I need another version for? (shrugs)
Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Good King Movie Adaptations: The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, Misery, The Shining (original), Cat's Eye, Pet Sematary, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, Carrie

Not So Good: Cujo, Firestarter, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet, Storm of the Century, Apt Pupil

There's a good number I haven't seen, unfortunately.

As far as "It", I liked the 90s series; it was imperfect, but still good. This one looks good. However, like most remakes, I don't see the actual need for it. I've read the book, so I know what happens. And I've seen the story put on film. What exactly do I need another version for? (shrugs)

So we don't have to see Tim Curry ham it up for 3 hours?

If it's a better adaptation, I'm all for it, the miniseries was ok, nothing more. Granted a closer adaptation does not always equal better movie, the miniseries version of The Shining was closer to the book, but still paled in comparison to Kubrick's film.
Not all fans of Stephen King's It like the miniseries, so they would like to see a better version.
I keep hoping we get a better adaptation of The Running Man, one that is actually like the book. Of course now, I would also like to see a better version of The Dark Tower, one that isn't just a mish mash of multiple books squeezed into 95 mins.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Oh, and I forgot to include Pet Sematary in my list of good King adaptations, also I thought Thinner was good.

As got Maximum Overdrive, it may be bad, but it's entertaining as heck. Just a fun bad movie.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to include Pet Sematary in my list of good King adaptations, also I thought Thinner was good.

As got Maximum Overdrive, it may be bad, but it's entertaining as heck. Just a fun bad movie.

Ehh, Night Flier was good too. Dark as hell, but good.

I think one issue with adapting any of these long works to film is just what you said; the difficulty in sandwiching in SO much plot into a two hour film. In some cases, it just can't be done. That was one of my (many) problems with the WATCHMEN film (no, it wasn't King but the same reasoning applies).

I'd go so far as to say that most superhero movies would work better as mini-series. But looking at their success, I doubt anyone is going to take my advice!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #13
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Ehh, Night Flier was good too. Dark as hell, but good.

I think one issue with adapting any of these long works to film is just what you said; the difficulty in sandwiching in SO much plot into a two hour film. In some cases, it just can't be done. That was one of my (many) problems with the WATCHMEN film (no, it wasn't King but the same reasoning applies).

I'd go so far as to say that most superhero movies would work better as mini-series. But looking at their success, I doubt anyone is going to take my advice!

I knew I'd leave movies out, Night Flier, really good film. Loved Miguel as Dees, that same character appears in both the book and movie version of The Dead Zone.

That's it right there, time constraint. And a lot of King is long. I did really like 11/22/63, done as a miniseries, they still had to leave stuff out, but the heart of the book is still there.

I did like the Watchmen movie, but I agree.

Ah well, I think no matter how the adaption is done whether it be from comic/graphic novel, short story, book, it will never be satisfying to all of us. I guess that's why we get so many different movies.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
I knew I'd leave movies out, Night Flier, really good film. Loved Miguel as Dees, that same character appears in both the book and movie version of The Dead Zone.

That's it right there, time constraint. And a lot of King is long. I did really like 11/22/63, done as a miniseries, they still had to leave stuff out, but the heart of the book is still there.

I did like the Watchmen movie, but I agree.

Ah well, I think no matter how the adaption is done whether it be from comic/graphic novel, short story, book, it will never be satisfying to all of us. I guess that's why we get so many different movies.

Smaller stories, like Pet Sematary, seem to be easier to adapt, at least to me. You aren't forced to leave so much out, and you can concentrate on the characters more.

I actually just finished 11/22/63. Very good book; kind of atypical for King, can't quite put my finger on why, just seemed like a different tone for some reason. Cannot imagine Franco in that role but as you say, everybody sees something different when they read a book.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #15
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Smaller stories, like Pet Sematary, seem to be easier to adapt, at least to me. You aren't forced to leave so much out, and you can concentrate on the characters more.

I actually just finished 11/22/63. Very good book; kind of atypical for King, can't quite put my finger on why, just seemed like a different tone for some reason. Cannot imagine Franco in that role but as you say, everybody sees something different when they read a book.

Same here, I like Franco, but couldn't see him playing that type of part. But he was really good in the role, he's a huge fan of the book, and his passion for it shows.