Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Honeymooners (Sitcoms Online) / The Honeymooners links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Honeymooners Photo Gallery

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray)
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on Blu-ray
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on DVD
The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series)
Buy The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series) on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4 on DVD

Buy The Very Best of The Honeymooners / The Best of The Honeymooners - The Lost Episodes / The Honeymooners Christmas Special
The Honeymooners Valentine Special / The Honeymooners - Second Honeymoon / Fan Favorites: The Best of The Honeymooners

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Honeymooners
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Frank Gannucci

Default Honeymooners Episode Reviews: "Halloween Party" & "Battle of The Sexes":

Honeymooners Episode Reviews: "Halloween Party" & "Battle of The Sexes":

Episode #86
TV, VHS & DVD: This episode is lost.
Air Date: 10/30/54

The 1954 version is supposedly on the same video as "Boxtop Kid", but MPI made an error and put the 1953 version on some or all tapes of Vol. 26.

I have not seen the 1954 version of this episode (which is entitled: "Halloween Party For The Boss") but there is speculation that it might be the same as earlier versions or it might not be. Read on.

The Kramdens and Nortons are getting dressed up to go to Ralph's boss' party. Alice is dressed as an angel. Trixie comes in dressed as a sailor. Alice gave Ralph a very unique costume to say the least. Alice: "Hey Ralph, come on out and show the costume you are going to wear." Ralph (yells from the bedroom): "I'LL BE OUT! I'LL BE OUT!" Ralph comes dressed with a sweatshirt, a hat, and a grass skirt that is pulled up to his chest. He hates his costume and asks what he is. Alice: "You’re a Zulu Chief." Ralph: "If this is what a Zulu Chief wears, I hate to be a private citizen in that tribe." Ha! Trixie goes upstairs.

Ralph complains about his costume. He says Alice's costume must have been easy to make. It wasn't. Alice reveals the hard work that she had to go through to make her costume. Ralph decides to go into the bedroom. Ed comes in dressed as Clara Bow, a woman. Alice says hello to Ed. Ed: "How did you recognize me?" A mousetrap goes off in the bedroom and it has Ralph's finger in it. Ralph yells in pain and tells Ed he has a mousetrap on his finger. Ed: "What are you going as, a mouse?" Ed takes the trap off Ralph. Ed says something to Ralph in which he says: "What do you think I am, an idiot?" Ed: "Ain't that what you are supposed to be?" Ralph (to Alice): "He doesn't even know who I am." Alice: "I don't know Ralph. He came pretty close." Ha! Ralph decides that he wants to rip up his tux and go as an elegant bum. Alice says no. Ralph: "Why? I am not going to wear it again. All my brothers are married and your sister is not going to get hooked." Gee, that was nice. NOT!

Trixie comes back and pains Ed's fingertips. Ralph comes out and rips his tux and puts it on. Ed: "Ralph, you'll be the biggest bum at the party." Freddie Muller and his wife come by to pick them up and they are dressed to the teeth. Even though the boss' party is on Halloween, it's a normal dance and not a costume party. Fred sees Norton and thinks that it's Alice. Ed corrects him. Freddie and his wife leave. Ed: "Why are we sitting around like mopes for? Why don't we go out trick-or-treating?" Question: If all of them went trick-or-treating, wouldn't that be a TAD immature for people their age? The Nortons leave. Ralph apologizes to Alice. They hug and kiss.

Note: There is speculation that the 1954 version of this episode has this. Art Carney going through a window by accident during the first scene of this episode because the door was jammed. When he enters, he says to Alice: “There is more than one way to skin a cat.” By this time, the door was fixed and a knock on the door is heard. It’s a Western Union boy with a telegram for a party for Ralph’s boss on Halloween. Everyone assumes it’s a Halloween Party. They all get dressed up and when they arrive, it’s a formal dance. This would mean that the 1954 version of this episode is a half-hour version (hence the title: “Halloween Party For The Boss.”) It would make sense that it would be a longer version since there were no 15 minute sketches done during the ’54-’55 season.

Episode #87 (Syndicated episode #42)
TV: Half-hour (edited).
VCR: Attached to "Lawsuit."
DVD: Attached to "Catch a Star" & "Songwriters." On The Lost Episodes DVD Box Set, it is attached to "Ralph's Sweet Tooth", "Game Called On Account of Marriage," "Love Letter" ('54 version) & "People’s Choice."
Air Date: 11/13/54

This episode opens up with Ralph and Ed in the poolroom doing a scene that would later be used for "The Bensonhurst Bomber" except without Harvey and George, the people Ralph would have gotten into a fight in that episode. Trixie calls Ed and asks him to come home because her mom is coming. This is Ralph's cue to give Norton a "King of the Castle" speech, and to tutor him on what to tell Trixie when he returns home -- after he and Ralph have finished playing pool. Norton is so inspired that he says Ralph's words should be recorded and played at every wedding instead of "Here Comes the Bride." Gee, can you just see how ridiculous it would look if at a wedding, the play Ralph's words. That's divorce court or breakup city right there.

That night, Trixie comes into the Kramden apartment crying. Ed has been playing "king" and has been bullying her. Ralph gets waken up and told of the news of the Nortons fight. Ralph: "What do you want me to do, take on the winner?" Ralph says his "king" speech to Alice and she becomes suspicious. When Norton comes down and begins bullying Trixie again, it confirms to Alice that Norton has become Ralph's understudy. They girls leave, leaving the boys to fend for themselves. Ralph and Ed are convinced that they are in the right and when the girls find that out, they will take them back when they have learned their lesson. Sure.

The Kramden apartment looks absolutely terrible. Ed has been complaining about Ralph's cooking. He has had to wear an inner tube to keep from drowning in the sewer. As Ed is cleaning up, he and Ralph sing a song that goes: "R-a-g-g m-o-p-p. Rag mop. Oh ragg mopp. R-a-g-g m-o-p-p. Oh, I love you Nelly dear. You're mine oh mine." As Ed is cleaning out a brook on the fire escape, Ralph and Ed cough because of the smoke. This scene was used as the ending scene on "The Wit and Wisdom of Ed Norton."

Ralph's too proud to apologize to Alice, so he and Norton scheme to get the wives to make the first move. They fake having a party in the apartment, but while Ralph is yelling jovial remarks out the window so Alice and Trixie can hear him upstairs, Alice walks in and the party crash-lands. After that, in the Nortons apartment, Alice talks about three more schemes that Ralph will try. The first one being the sympathy routine. She correctly guesses all three noises that Ralph will make to get her to apologize to him. The second is the threat to cut off Alice's household money. The third is the "I'm leaving forever" warning. According to Alice, Ralph has walked out of her life 18 times. Oh boy! Ralph must really love Alice and doesn't the part where Alice said that Ralph walked out of her life 18 times funny? Ralph and Ed come in and Ralph tires all three of the schemes and when he tries the latter one, he walks out and comes back, warning Alice again. None of the schemes work. The girls open their arms to welcome them back but Ralph and Norton sweep right past them and dive at the table full of food Trixie has prepared for her own and Alice's dinner. Gee, that's so not starting things off on the right foot.

Credit I believe goes to tv.com, Honeymooners Lost Episodes Book, tvguide.com, honeymooners.net, Honeymooners Box Set booklet Honeymooners Lost Episodes DVD booklet, Wikipedia.org, Yahoo! Groups You're A Riot! & Amazon.com