Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
um
Forum Regular

Default Another sports-equipment store to bite the dust?

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...cuse_area.html

It seems that Eastern Mountain Sports is closing another store and may eventually close all stores.
There were two EMS stores in New York City where I live and as of approximately the past 3 years, both were closed down. I liked to shop there but I always noticed how empty the stores usually were. I sensed for a long time that EMS would have to close stores and operate only from fewer locations or maybe one location, or maybe go out of business altogether. It seems that most people don't buy the equipment that EMS sells, and they featured a lot of equipment and clothes for people who climb mountains and camp outdoors for long amounts of time such as wildlife photographers, archaeologists, and people who explore the wilderness.

I think EMS had been around for decades as one of the outdoor-goods stores that sells equipment for hiking, mountain climbing, canoeing, kayaking, and camping. It is not like Modell's which has clothing and equipment for common and urban sports like baseball and basketball and running. Foot Locker mostly has sneakers for running and basketball and hardly has anything other than shoes and shorts. There is also Jack Rabbit and Super Runner's Store, Nike Running store, Reebok Running Store and each are pretty much alike.
Athletica is mostly a yoga equipment store.

I think Recreational Equipment Incorporated (REI) might have been around longer than EMS and will foresee ably might be the last store of its kind to remain open after EMS closes. Of course there is LL Bean and Land's End Orvis, and Eddie Bauer, and yet they are not exactly like REI and EMS.

Oh! one that I forgot was Campmor, which has ben around for a few decades at least, but as far as I know they have always had one store out in New Jersey and I always ordered by mail from them and now I order from them online. There hasn't been any indication that I know of that they are going out of business.

Sports Authority went completely out of business about two years back and it was IMO so much better than Modell's overall. It had a variety of items for yoga, jogging, hiking, basketball, baseball, soccer, and biking. I actually wonder how Modell's is still staying in business. There are several stores in NYC and the surrounding boroughs and I have been to several of them and I notice that usually the store hardly has customers.

There used to be a store called Herman's which went out of business sometime approximately in the 80s and from what I recall, I thought it was better than Modell's. It was a bit more like Sports Authority.

Also according to the emails I received from Sports Authority before it completely closed, it indicated that "Dick's Sporting Goods" would take over sending me notifications of sales on sporting goods.

With EMS, it seems it somehow merged with a store called "Bob's Sporting Goods"and both are going to close more of their stores.

Online I have found out about these stores that specialize in outdoor goods

Hul's Outdoors
Appalachian Outdoors
Sunny Sports
Sahalie (Formerly , "Early WInters")
Gander Mountain
Trek Inn
Summit Hut
Backpacking United
Campsaver
Cabela's
Moosejaw
Backwoods
Mountain Gear

If anyone knows of any other please mention it.

I don't know how long each of the above mentioned outdoor-equipment stores have been in business. I think some have been around a few years and some might have begun with a different name, and some might have begun as completely online-order stores.

It is sad that so many long-established sporting/outdoor-equipment stores are disappearing. Someday I would like to be able to participate in, or at least try, certain unusual sports like kyaking, and climbing.

Again, I don't like Modell's much, but am surprised how it does not seem to be closing stores. From my visits to their stores, they seem to be getting no more customers than Sports Authority ever did, also EMS .

By the way, I always wondered how pole-vaulters got their pole vaults. Anyone know? I never saw a sport-equipment store that sells pole-vaults.
That is really a unique item to sell.
I guess it is more easily found online now, but before the internet, how did people find stores that sell pole-vaults? Maybe that is a different thread I ought to start. Anyone know about lesser-known facts?

But I could also go into a completely different discussion about how manufacturers of outdoor clothing that is meant for activity are not manufacturing their clothing enough for function than fashion.
I might go into that next.