Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Foggy
Forum Regular

Default Jury Duty?

Have you ever had to serve on a Jury?
How about a Grand Jury?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I served once, about 25 years ago or so. It was an OK experience, but I was worried I might have to stay longer than one day. I didn't, and that was enough for me.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

I served on a Grand Jury a few years ago.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I was summoned twice for jury duty (once in August 2006 and the other in Feb. 2014) but never made it to the trial.

I was dismissed the same day because they never got to my name back in 2006, but they've changed the rules and made it so that they have to see everyone who gets summoned. You have to keep reporting to jury duty until they get to see you.

The 2nd time I was excused when I didn't meed the criteria they were looking for in that particular case.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
Regulus

Thumbs up

In 2013 I had just made reservations to spend Thanksgiving weekend with my cousins, who lived north of Atlanta. My plans were to leave the day before Thanksgiving, and leave on the Monday after Thanksgiving. The next I got a summons from Volusia County for Jury Duty. The date? The Monday after Thanksgiving! I had to bend over backwards to get the reservations changed, but I pushed up everything by a day, leaving on the Tuesday before (oops!) Thanksgiving and returning home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Guess what? Volusia County DID ME A FAVOR! On the way up north I had to deal with Atlanta's rush-hour TRAFFIC . However since I returned home on Sunday I didn't have to contend with Atlanta's traffic. Otherwise, I'd would have had to deal with it on Monday. So Thank you Volusia County, you did me a favor! Arriving at the courthouse in Deland, Fl. that Monday it was announced that there was only one case pending, and both parties had agreed to settle it out-of-court, so I picked up my check for $15.00, cashed it in and purchased some toys at "Uncle Wallys" to donate to three different charities.

Last edited by Regulus : 07-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #6
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

I never thought I'd get a summons, but I did about 2 months ago. I was excused because I was residing in a different county.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #7
IllinoisTVFan

Last time I was excused when I told them I was disabled with arthritis and unable to drive. This was true as it was during one of my flares. Years ago I told them I was a Libertarian they immediately dismissed me. Same with years ago when I worked in the media. My issue wasn't that I didn't want to serve, just that they kept sending me to the worst courthouses that were 45 minutes to an hour away in bad areas (talking bad areas of Chicago) and at the time I would have had to take public transportation. The irony is I lived five minutes down the street from a criminal courthouse and another was 20 minutes away and only once did I even get one of these courthouses, it was always the high crime area one.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Furienna

No, as there is no jury duty here in Sweden (there are laymen involved in lower courts here too, but it's not quite the same thing as the juries in the US). And I guess that I would have been excused anyway, because I have so many disabilities.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Hollywood Rock Chic

I served on a jury three times, and I actually enjoyed it. It paid fairly well and the court hearing only lasted for two days. It was an interesting experience.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Babalu

I've been on grand juries, petit juries, and federal juries.

All criminal cases.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Rock Chic
I served on a jury three times, and I actually enjoyed it. It paid fairly well and the court hearing only lasted for two days. It was an interesting experience.
I was a (I think it was 2 week jury) in 1985 and where i live you were paid $50.00 a day. The case was interesting, I am glad I did it. In later years had a few more notices to come and was called not to come or dismissed when i got there. Now I get notices to drive an good hour and 15 minutes to another court and I told them I don't like to drive that far. Earlier places I could take the train.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 AM   #12
sara

I was on a jury for a negligent homicide case maybe about 8 or nine years ago. It was ok. We found him not guilty. It was about a car accident.