Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery


Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: Single Parents - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 26); Lifetime Reunites TV Casts in Holiday Movies
Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default A Typical Guy

A few days ago, I started a thread called "My Favorite Actress". This all started with a misunderstanding that took place over on the "Friends" page. On that page, I started a thread that included the fact that Helen Hunt is my favorite actress. A female poster replied by saying that she thought that Hazel Shermet was my favorite actress. After explaining how she misunderstood me, I thought the issue over to this page. She wrote that she thought that it is because I am a typical guy that I would pick Helen over Hazel. She then explained that what she meant was that she can picture a guy like me thinking that Helen Hunt is hot. I wrote back and explained that yes, I do think that Helen Hunt is hot! I have no problem agreeing that it is because of my male hormones that I think the way that I think. This is especially true being that I am a single male. It is because of my male hormones that, starting from age twelve, I had the biggest crush on Julie from this show. A lot of people would say that, most people with typical male hormones would prefer Katie over Julie. It is just a matter of taste that Julie was always my favorite. Well, I would now like to share with you guys something else that has to do with my being a typical guy and that I have already shared with my buddies on the "Friends" page. For those of you who do not watch "Friends", the character of Phoebe is played by Lisa Kudrow. One of her trademarks is playing the acoustic guitar while singing folk songs with warped lyrics. Well, there was once an episode in which she sang two verses of a song before something happened to distract the situation. These two verses went, "Crazy underwear, creeping up my butt. Crazy underwear, always in a run"! In the first place, the thought of Lisa Kudrow in her underwear was more than enough to make a guy like me feel giddy! On top of that, for someone with a butt like hers to be singing about it really made me salivate! Oh the memories!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

I had my first serious crush at age 10. I was infatuated with David Lee Roth.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,663
Default

I think threads should have character limits like Twitter so you don't have to put up with obnoxiously long threads like this. Just a polite suggestion.
__________________
Now, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
When people can be so cold?
They'll hurt you, yes, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them


Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
I had my first serious crush at age 10. I was infatuated with David Lee Roth.

My sister liked him a lot too. She was very fond of Van Halen when she was twelve and thirteen years old. Like I mentioned in my initial post, I was twelve when I developed a crush on Julie from this show. I was seventeen when her character was terminated. I still had much appreciation for her from both prime-time and syndicated episodes. I was in my late twenties when the "Friends" episode that I wrote about was shown. I would put all three of the babes from "Friends" on a par with Julie in terms of being able to get my motor running. Although a lot of things had changed about my situation by that stage in the game, my giddiness for sexy chicks stayed very much the same!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Speaking of Van Halen, my brother had sort of a bro crush on Eddie Van Halen. Yuck! I never really liked him, and I always thought he was wimpy looking. In fact, I never really liked Van Halen. I just liked David Lee Roth. He is the very first man that I ever fantasized about!

As for your crush on Julie... that's cute... did you ever crush on Katie? She was really pretty.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #6
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
Speaking of Van Halen, my brother had sort of a bro crush on Eddie Van Halen. Yuck! I never really liked him, and I always thought he was wimpy looking. In fact, I never really liked Van Halen. I just liked David Lee Roth. He is the very first man that I ever fantasized about!

As for your crush on Julie... that's cute... did you ever crush on Katie? She was really pretty.

The first thing that I would like to touch on is what you mentioned about not being especially fond of Van Halen. I am wondering how, if this was the case, you developed a crush on David Lee Roth. Did he ever perform in anything away from that group? Now I will move to the issue of having a crush on Katie. I will agree that she was very pretty. However, it was her personality that tended to turn me off. However, there were occasional cases in which we saw some decency trying to get out. In "Katie Steals Julie's Jock" telling the boy off and making amends with Julie showed real character. Also she showed a lot of decency in "Julie's Rejection". Realizing that the girls in the club were jerks and quitting after the disrespect that they showed Julie was very sweet of her. These were two instances in which she seemed reasonably attractive to me. The last topic that I would like to mention has to do with Hazel Shermet. You wrote that although you can understand me thinking that Helen Hunt is hot, you think that Hazel Shermet is a better actress than Helen Hunt. Have you ever seen Hazel in anything other than "Gimme a Break!" that caused you to form that opinion?
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
The first thing that I would like to touch on is what you mentioned about not being especially fond of Van Halen. I am wondering how, if this was the case, you developed a crush on David Lee Roth. Did he ever perform in anything away from that group? Now I will move to the issue of having a crush on Katie. I will agree that she was very pretty. However, it was her personality that tended to turn me off. However, there were occasional cases in which we saw some decency trying to get out. In "Katie Steals Julie's Jock" telling the boy off and making ameds with Julie showed real character. Also she showed a lot of decency in "Julie's Rejection". Realizing that the girls in the club were jerks and quitting after the disrespect that they showed Julie was very sweet of her. These were two instances in which she seemed reasonably attractive to me. The last topic that I would like to mention has to do with Hazel Shermet. You wrote that although you can understand me thinking that Helen Hunt is hot, you think that Hazel Shermet is a better actress than Helen Hunt. Have you ever seen Hazel in anything other than "Gimme a Break!" that caused you to form that opinion?
I already told you that my brother was a big Eddie Van Halen fan. He had all of Van Halen's albums, and that's how I knew of David Lee Roth.

As for Hazel Shermet, I just found her more entertaining than Helen Hunt, and I have seen her in other bit parts besides Gimme A Break.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
I already told you that my brother was a big Eddie Van Halen fan. He had all of Van Halen's albums, and that's how I knew of David Lee Roth.

As for Hazel Shermet, I just found her more entertaining than Helen Hunt, and I have seen her in other bit parts besides Gimme A Break.

Very nice to hear from you again. The only other parts that I have seen Hazel Shermet in and knew that it was her was in her two episodes in "Facts of Life". I thought she was pretty good in her two roles on that series.
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
Very nice to hear from you again. The only other parts that I have seen Hazel Shermet in and knew that it was her was in her two episodes in "Facts of Life". I thought she was pretty good in her two roles on that series.
She also had a bit part in "What's Happening"
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
She also had a bit part in "What's Happening"

Which episode was that?
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
Which episode was that?
I know it was an episode involving stealing a blouse. Maybe it was actually The Facts of Life.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
I know it was an episode involving stealing a blouse. Maybe it was actually The Facts of Life.

I think that you got two episodes mixed up. In both "The Facts of Life" and "What's Happening" there was an episodes that had to do with young people stealing a blouse from a store. However, it was in "The Facts of Life" that Hazel played the part of a worker in the store where the girls stole the blouse. Just like with her three appearances in "Gimme a Break!", I really enjoyed her big puffy hair as well as her hotsy totsy mannerisms.
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
I think that you got two episodes mixed up. In both "The Facts of Life" and "What's Happening" there was an episodes that had to do with young people stealing a blouse from a store. However, it was in "The Facts of Life" that Hazel played the part of a worker in the store where the girls stole the blouse. Just like with her three appearances in "Gimme a Break!", I really enjoyed her big puffy hair as well as her hotsy totsy mannerisms.
Yes, OK, you are right. I remember in the What's Happening, the boys didn't actually steal the blouse. They got stopped right before Roger walked out with it. It was considered attempted shoplifting, I guess. In Facts of Life, the girls actually did steal the blouse. I remember Hazel was good in that episode.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
Yes, OK, you are right. I remember in the What's Happening, the boys didn't actually steal the blouse. They got stopped right before Roger walked out with it. It was considered attempted shoplifting, I guess. In Facts of Life, the girls actually did steal the blouse. I remember Hazel was good in that episode.

In the first place, I am very happy that we got that cleared up. In the past, I believe that you mentioned that "Friends" is a show that you watch or, at one time watched regularly. The episode that I mentioned when I first started this thread is called "The One with Ross's Thing". Do you have any memories of that episode? Do you remember the song that I mentioned?
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
In the first place, I am very happy that we got that cleared up. In the past, I believe that you mentioned that "Friends" is a show that you watch or, at one time watched regularly. The episode that I mentioned when I first started this thread is called "The One with Ross's Thing". Do you have any memories of that episode? Do you remember the song that I mentioned?
I have no idea what you're talking about, so you might refresh my memory.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.