Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-14-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question Bitter TV Stars

What I mean is that actors/actresses who seemed bitter about the roles that brought them fame. For example:
  • Eve Plumb - This of course depends on your own point of view being that it's already well established that she and her Brady Bunch sister Maureen McCormick don't get along too well as of late. And it could have more to to with Plumb not necessarily having sentimental feelings about her time on The Brady Bunch like everybody else.

Gary Coleman - In fairness, he was understandably angry about his parents and handlers stealing much of his earnings. He never had any pretense about being a leading man and was quite aware of his limitations in the business due to his ethnicity, physical stature, and looks. When he became a security guard, it was the media and public that made a big deal about that - he wasn't embarrassed and saw it as a necessity.

Tina Louise

Priscilla Barnes - She has gone on record in saying that her time on Three's Company was the worst time of her life. Meanwhile, both Joyce DeWitt and Norman Fell were from my understanding not exactly bitter about their roles, but rather their treatment by the producers of Three's Company. Fell was always mad because he was pushed to do The Ropers and didn't want to lose a sure thing. He agreed to do it, if he could come back and the producers said, he could if the show didn't last so many episodes and it went like two or three episodes over the amount. DeWitt liked her role but felt the producers didn't value her contribution to the show at all.

Vivian Vance

Gary Burghoff

Scott Baio - I don't know for sure if Baio is bitter about Happy Days or Charles in Charge per se or is simply just seemingly bitter in general.

Jay North

Janet Hubert - She has virtually spent the past 20 years or so painting her ex-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air co-star, Will Smith as the devil incarnate.

David Boreanaz apparently doesn't like to talk about Buffy and Angel, because he believes the showrunners screwed him over with royalties from these shows. Same goes for Kevin Sorbo and his Hercules (and Xena) show.

Jennette McCurdy apparently hates Dan Schneider with a passion because of the shows she worked for him for Nickelodeon. Sam and Cat had like 40 episodes in its one and only season and then Dan and/or Nick canceled it.

Lisa Bonet - The woman has been conspicuously absent from various Cosby Show reunions.

John Amos - Bitter over the (perceived) minstrelization of Good Times, and over his pay. Also - Ester Rolle had similar issues.

Max Baer - Hated that he was known for nothing more than playing Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Richard Dawson - He would allegedly rage at anyone who would dare mention Hogan's Heroes.

Last edited by TMC : 07-08-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
stevea

Susan Dey - generally shuns any reference to the Partridge Family, including not participating in the Today show reunion in 2010.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
king of comedy

Eve Plum is a much better actress she went on to better roles. For these stars it was hard to avoid typecasting.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

you're wrong about Gary Burghoff; he loved playing Radar on MASH. And Tina Louise changed her attitude about GILLIGANS ISLAND when her daughter became a fan of it. Also Max Baer changed his attitude about THE BEVERLY HILLBILIES a while ago.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
Edward216

Sometimes I think an actor/actress has good reason to be bitter and resentful about a certain role and sometimes they don't. It depends on the situation.

Ed.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
jimpickens
Forum Regular

George Lindsey shunned the Goober character for a long time and Adam West did the same with Batman.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #7
Edward216

Concerning Jennette McCurdy. It seems like nearly from the moment Sam and Cat first started on TV there was all this talk and rumors that she and Ariana Grande didn't get along and strongly disliked each other. And I seem to remember they both said stuff in interviews that seemed to confirm that to be true so I thought that was part of the reason the show was cancelled. Also, I seem to remember that somehow some pictures McCurdy took of herself in nothing but her bra and panties that were only meant to be seen by her boyfriend got hacked and made public. And since Sam And Cat was a show aimed mostly at kids Nickelodeon was understandably upset about that since the pictures were obviously not what you'd call family friendly. And I thought that was also part of the reason the show was cancelled. But maybe I'm wrong about all that. Anybody else know anything about it?

Ed.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #8
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Pernell Roberts - Adam Cartwright on Bonanza: Pernell was disappointed with the series and took the opportunity to leave. Highly critical of the scripts when talking about the show. This was his rise to fame, and it would be many years before finally landing his own series (Trapper John MD).
Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #9
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I've heard that Hervé Villechaize became quite bitter about "Fantasy Island" after he was fired and he went into drunken fits when it showed up on his TV.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Norman Lovett - Holly the ship's computer on Red Dwarf. Norman evidently butted heads with the show's creators many times. He stopped playing Holly after Series 2 after a salary dispute, returned for Series 7 and 8, but listening to his DVD commentary for Series 8 you could tell he didn't like the show, at least those two later Series.
He was told he would be returning for Back To Earth, but then at the last second told he wasn't, so in 2009 he swore he would never return to the show. But then, it seems he has made up with show creator Doug Naylor, and will be returning for Series XII.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
KatieAnn
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Pernell Roberts - Adam Cartwright on Bonanza: Pernell was disappointed with the series and took the opportunity to leave. Highly critical of the scripts when talking about the show. This was his rise to fame, and it would be many years before finally landing his own series (Trapper John MD).

Yes, and I doubt he found "Trapper John MD" to be that much better than "Bonanza." I know I don't.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens
George Lindsey shunned the Goober character for a long time and Adam West did the same with Batman.
If he hated Goober so much why did he play him on Hee Haw for another 20 years?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Actually he only played Goober on HH for four years until he started using his real name for the rest of the run although later in life he eventually embraced Goober.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
Patty Duke
Forum Regular
Good night, John Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television
If he hated Goober so much why did he play him on Hee Haw for another 20 years?

Question for George: How much did you enjoy playing the role of Goober?

George: Well I played it like 17 years. I guess I enjoyed it a lot. He was an easy character to play.

Question for George: What was the best part of the whole experience for you?

George: Lunch. Of course I had a great character, I loved playing him, and I was working. You’re not acting if you’re not working.

Question for George: People love you and identify you as Goober Pyle.

George: I said to someone that I didn’t know where I started and Goober ended or where Goober started and I ended. I became that person.

Question: Being such a lovable character, I’m sure people must approach you as Goober. Does that annoy you or do you embrace it?

George: I like it. They say, ‘Hey, Goober.’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-ga...b_1491816.html
Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #15
TMC
Forum Veteran

Mo'Nique (and this doesn't necessarily have to do with her work on The Parkers to keep within the subject) is shaping up to just like a Janet Hubert at the end of the day. Bitter, angry and holding on to a decades-old grudge based on one brief period in her life.

Whether her grievances are legitimate or not no longer matters. She's letting this define and destroy her. If she wasn't blackballed before, she definitely is now.