Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-10-2017, 03:09 AM   #1
LaBestia
Chris Harrison Rules

Default Is Easter not being promoted as it used to be?

With Easter next Sunday I have noticed that there seems to be very little mention of Easter anywhere this year and it shocks me that there are no Easter commercials and stores seem to not have Easter sales this year. In fact the only Easter commercial that seems to be played during Let's Make A Deal is the Cadbury bunny commercial. Is this because Easter is getting a new image or is it because the stores want to have sales for holidays like Mother's Day and Memorial Day in May rather than Easter sales? I remember when Easter was the second biggest holiday next to Christmas and every store would have Easter baskets on display and people would buy lots of Easter candy to put in the kids Easter baskets and another trend that became popular in malls is photos with the Easter bunny. But if you look at Easter today you'll see few malls feature Easter bunny photos and now it seems the only things that are being put in the Easter baskets are toys and gift cards for the kids in addition to candy and so it tells me that this will be known as the new Easter tradition every single Easter
Do you think Easter has adopted a new image this year?
Bestie
Good Morning Chris Harrison "What Final Answers Do You Have For Your #1 Fan This Wonderful Morning?"
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Oh No

One thing I noticed last year is that Easter baskets are now containing TOYS instead of candy. Like, didn't we just have Christmas??
Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
Tubehead

Default hoildays

well im an christian!! were supposed to celebrate jesus resurrection! but i think the business people plant in peoples heads that its not about jesus resurrection but about the easter bunny & chocolate candy ! but now its about getting dressed up for church or going easter egg hunting!! & not about jesus!! the same thing happens at christmas!!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
PhoenixAcres
Happy Fall

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubehead
well im an christian!! were supposed to celebrate jesus resurrection! but i think the business people plant in peoples heads that its not about jesus resurrection but about the easter bunny & chocolate candy ! but now its about getting dressed up for church or going easter egg hunting!! & not about jesus!! the same thing happens at christmas!!
I agree 100%.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Regulus

Exclamation

Me too.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Me Three!

The reason why our family had toys on Easter is because I had food allergies...maybe that's why there's more Easter baskets with toys since some children have high food allergies, especially nuts!

But my sister may NOT take her daughters to a church service, she doesn't have to go to the one that I work at, she hates our pastor's sermons...that's another story!

I just wish this NEVER happens with my nieces or any child...

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
One thing I noticed last year is that Easter baskets are now containing TOYS instead of candy. Like, didn't we just have Christmas??

A lot of kids are overweight or obese now so maybe toys are a safer bet for gift givers.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

When I was a kid we dyed Easter eggs and after we kids went to bed my parents would hide the eggs and our Easter baskets. it was so exciting to get up and hunt for the eggs around the house. (I did the same with my kids.) We always got new clothes for Easter to wear to church.My parents, nor I, never promoted the stupid Easter Bunny thing.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
Regulus

Biggrin

I just completed my Easter Baskets to give away to my friend's kids. They each contain a plush bunny, and one package each of Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs, M&M Eggs, Spree and Sweetarts. (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Sweetarts!) They also contain DVDs of 23 Family-Friendly Movies.

I have three words about Easter...

BRING IT ON!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

Here's an old faded Polaroid of my family on Easter 1960(I was 9) We girls all got new coats, dresses and hats every Easter. I am the tall girl standing in front of my Mom. In front of me is my sister and best friend Leah. In the coming next 5 years My Mom had 2 more boys. She then retired.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
Here's an old faded Polaroid of my family on Easter 1960(I was 9) We girls all got new coats, dresses and hats every Easter. I am the tall girl standing in front of my Mom. In front of me is my sister and best friend Leah. In the coming next 5 years My Mom had 2 more boys. She then retired.

So cute Marlene!! I always love your old pictures!!!

Like your family. My Sister and i always had new dresses. My Mom used to make them for us. She was really good at sewing!! We got new Easter hats and shoes , the works!!! And my brother in his suit! I felt sorry for him that he couldn't have a pretty new dress and hat like we did !! We dyed eggs the night before and Mom always made us really beautiful delicious candy filled Easter baskets! We went to Church and went visiting to relatives after! Ending up with a traditional ham dinner!!!

I did the same when my boys were little. Being boys of course I couldn't dress them in pretty dresses, so they really didn't dress up , things were more casual by than anyway! But I kept Mom's tradition and always made them beautiful delicious Easter baskets and we dyed eggs. And went to Easter mass! And had our delicious ham dinner! To this day I always have ham and I still have Easter baskets for my boys when they visit even though they are grown now!!! And I really try to get to Church still, if not the true meaning of Easter/ Jesus is very much in my heart still!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
When I was a kid we dyed Easter eggs and after we kids went to bed my parents would hide the eggs and our Easter baskets. it was so exciting to get up and hunt for the eggs around the house. (I did the same with my kids.) We always got new clothes for Easter to wear to church.My parents, nor I, never promoted the stupid Easter Bunny thing.

Our family never did the same thing. We would say Easter Bunny sometimes, but that was a very small part. We sometimes got new Easter clothes and I even have a videocassette where I had some Easter shenanigans.

And the only Easter Bunny I'll take anytime is Bugs Bunny as The Easter Rabbit. Which reminds me...

Old 04-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
I just completed my Easter Baskets to give away to my friend's kids. They each contain a plush bunny, and one package each of Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs, M&M Eggs, Spree and Sweetarts. (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Sweetarts!) They also contain DVDs of 23 Family-Friendly Movies.

I have three words about Easter...

BRING IT ON!!!

That's so nice Regulus! God bless you and have a WONDERFUL Easter!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I hate to be cynical (but the world keeps offering me so many opportunities), but it seems like only holidays that are attached to alcohol and partying get a big push as far as advertising goes.

That means New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween (how did THAT become about drinking??), are all promoted heavily. Christmas gets the double promotion of being about gift-giving (yes, I know that's not what it's really about) and drinking (because EVERYONE parties on Christmas, right? Sigh).

So yes, Easter (like Thanksgiving) is becoming a forgotten holiday, at least in terms of the media.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
I hate to be cynical (but the world keeps offering me so many opportunities), but it seems like only holidays that are attached to alcohol and partying get a big push as far as advertising goes.

That means New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween (how did THAT become about drinking??), are all promoted heavily. Christmas gets the double promotion of being about gift-giving (yes, I know that's not what it's really about) and drinking (because EVERYONE parties on Christmas, right? Sigh).

So yes, Easter (like Thanksgiving) is becoming a forgotten holiday, at least in terms of the media.

Yep!! Exactly!!! It is sad how Halloween isn't so much a kids holiday anymore, but like you said an adult drinking/partying holiday!

And Easter is "Spring break"! And poor Thanksgiving these days is just that big meal you eat between Halloween and Christmas! It's sad!