Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
MISST3

Default Total Solar Eclispe - August 21 2017

— On August 21, the sun will disappear for a short time.

For a swath of the country from Portland, Oregon, to Charleston, South Carolina, it will feel like someone just turned off the sun in the middle of the day.

Even if you live elsewhere in the US, a portion of the sun will partially disappear. It is being called the "Great American Eclipse." And you can mark it on your calendar down to the millisecond.

It's been 99 years since a total solar eclipse crossed the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The total solar eclipse on June 8, 1918, crossed the States from Washington to Florida.
During the celestial event, the moon will pass in between the sun and the Earth, appearing to block the sun for almost an hour and a half.

Kansas City, Nashville and Charleston are some of the cities that will have a good chance of seeing the sun totally covered.

Space enthusiasts are already starting to get excited for the eclipse, some counting down the days, while others are booking hotels for the big moment!
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
PhoenixAcres
Happy Fall

That would be an amazing thing to experience. Unfortunately I'm not in the direct path.

I've heard that some people plan their vacations solely based on where the solar eclipses will be happening all around the world.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Will it reach Cleveland?

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Regulus

Cool

I'm planning to see this eclipse in Tennessee between Nashville and Chattanooga. I also plan to visit a couple of Amusement Parks, one on the way up north and another on the way home. This will be the fifth time I've gone to the center line of a solar eclipse (I observed two Total Eclipses, one in 1991 and the other in 1998, and I observed Annular (Ring of Fire) Eclipses in 1994 and 2012.

After this eclipse the next two eclipses to cross the US will be an Annular Eclipse in 2023 and a Total Eclipse in 2024. The town of Utopia, Texas will be in the path of both of them.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
MISST3

Remember never to look directly at the sun while any part of its bright disk is visible (not TOTALLY eclipsed). If there is ANY bright part of the sun showing, you cannot look at it without eye protection. When the eclipse is TOTAL, that is, when ALL of it is completely covered by the moon, you can then look at it directly without eye protection.
This map is a general pathway of the eclipse across the USA. You have to be
in the pathway to see the TOTAL eclipse. Depending on the weather, you may have to be prepared to travel.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISST3
Remember never to look directly at the sun while any part of its bright disk is visible (not TOTALLY eclipsed). If there is ANY bright part of the sun showing, you cannot look at it without eye protection. When the eclipse is TOTAL, that is, when ALL of it is completely covered by the moon, you can then look at it directly without eye protection.
This map is a general pathway of the eclipse across the USA. You have to be
in the pathway to see the TOTAL eclipse. Depending on the weather, you may have to be prepared to travel.

Looks like it isn't hitting Cleveland...or California, New York, Florida, The District of Columbia, Las Vegas or even Chicago....
Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
MISST3

No, Cleveland isn't in the pathway. Some of the best spots are:
Madras, Oregon
Snake River Valley, Idaho
Casper, Wyoming
Sandhills of western Nebraska
St. Joseph, Missouri
Carbondale, Illinois
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Nashville, Tennessee
Great Smoky Mountain National Park
Columbia, South Carolina
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity
Tom Petty 1950-2017

Michigan isn't in the path either.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Furienna

We had a partial eclipse here in Europe two years ago. But I somehow managed to forget about it, until I noticed that something was wrong with the daylight (it was like twilight even though it was in the middle of the day). Then I remembered the eclipse!

But there will be no total eclipse here in Sweden until 2126, and we last had one in 1954.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
Regulus

Biggrin My plans are booked.

I found out Allegiant Air has a flight from Sanford, Florida to Chattanooga, Tennessee for a wallet-busting $102.00. So I logged onto their site and relieved them of a ticket. I will leave on Sunday, August 20 and return on Thursday, August 24. In addition to seeing the Eclipse I also plan to hike to a mountaintop in the Great Smoky Mountains and spend a day at Dollywood, which has opened five new roller coasters since my last visit in 2005.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #11
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Looks like it isn't hitting Cleveland...or California, New York, Florida, The District of Columbia, Las Vegas or even Chicago....
or Philadelphia!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #12
Regulus

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAcres

I've heard that some people plan their vacations solely based on where the solar eclipses will be happening all around the world.

I've been on two such trips. I went on a Cruise on a Royal Caribbean Cruise that was sponsored by Astronomy Magazine in 1991. The ship intercepted the eclipse in the Sea of Cortez between Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. Then in 1998 I went on a Holland America Cruise sponsored by Sky and Telescope Magazine. This time the ship intercepted the eclipse in the southern Caribbean Sea between the islands of Aruba and Curacao. In 1994 and again in 2012 I watched those eclipses with others who held "Eclipse Parties" for those eclipses.

PS. My sources tell me the Wal Marts that are located along the path of totality will be JUMPING on the weekend before the eclipse (You should have seen what I saw at a Wal Mart in Albuquerqe, New Mexico on the day before that eclipse in 2012. You'd think it was the day before Memorial Day, Independence Day or Labor Day). It was VERY Obvious there was going to be a great big party!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Madras, Oregon
Casper, Wyoming
St. Joseph, Missouri
Carbondale, Illinois
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Nashville, Tennessee
Columbia, South Carolina

Nice! Madras is one of our favorite vacation spots here.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Will it reach Cleveland?

Cleveland's usually in the dark so you're not missing anything.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Regulus

Biggrin

Quote:
Madras, Oregon
Casper, Wyoming
St. Joseph, Missouri
Carbondale, Illinois
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Nashville, Tennessee
Columbia, South Carolina

I've chosen the area between Sweetwater, Tennessee and Madisonville, Tennessee as my first pick for observing the eclipse (There's a Tourist Attraction in the area called the Lost Sea, and considering they're on the centerline of this eclipse it's certain five will get you ten they will be hosting an eclipse party : at their site. In case of inclement weather I'm prepared to travel as far east as US 23 where it intersects the centerline at the North Carolina Georgia borders, or as far west as Goodlitsville Tennesee (I-65 just north of Nashville, Tennessee). Whatever site I choose, the "Main Event" (That's Totality for those you in Rio Linda! ) will take place approximately between the hours of 2:00 to 2:30PM Eastern Daylight Time. If you are on your one, you must be flexible, but there's another rule, mainly HAVE FUN!