Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery

Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Crazy GAB should get an award for the greatest number of recasts in a single sitcom!

Tracey Gold was originally cast as Samantha Kanisky but they fired her apparently because she couldn't play a tomboy and Lara Jill Miller, who already played a boy in a late 1970s tour of Oliver! could. Tracey ended up on Goodnight Beantown before replacing Elizabeth Ward when Growing Pains went to series. Kari Michaelsen was the only one of the Kanisky kids originally cast who made it from pilot to series.

The youngest child was originally a redheaded boy named Matthew (long before Matthew Donovan showed up in Season 6) played by an actor I have been unable to identify; even TV Guide mentioned Matthew and not Julie in its fall preview issue, but failed to mention any actors besides Nell Carter and Dolph Sweet. Lauri Hendler had already done a show with Telma Hopkins and Rob Lowe called A New Kind of Family that quickly collapsed up against 60 Minutes and Disney's Wonderful World, and she'd also guest starred on Three's Company and Magnum, P.I. The link below is all that has publicly surfaced of the original pilot (except for some 1981 NBC fall preview clips long since removed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drHPlcv1BA0

Even when the producers made whatever changes NBC wanted and the show finally aired—the network pushed its premiere back to October and its episode count cut to 19 because of the Writer's Guild Strike—they kept recasting supporting roles. Elvia Allman and Elizabeth Kerr played Grandma Kanisky before they settled on Jane Dulo. Rosetta LeNoire wasn't the first actress to play Nell's mother; Hilda Haynes was in a single Season 1 episode where Nell's father died, and her sister there was a childlike woman named Marie, who still watched Sesame Street at 28, instead of Lynne Thigpen as Loretta later on. And Bonnie Urseth played three different characters in Season 1 and 2, one of which was a replacement for Helen Hunt's role as a single mother (Paul Regina was the baby's father); she was unavailable because she'd been cast in It Takes Two with Patty Duke living in what would later be The Golden Girls' kitchen.

Season 3 saw the biggest changes yet. When NBC cancelled Love, Sidney, some of the producers from that show, including Hal Cooper and Rod Parker who took over as executive producers while the old ones, Coleman "Chick" Mitchell and Geoffrey Neigher, ended up on We Got it Made on which Bonnie Urseth was a supporting cast member. When that show was cancelled after a year, they ended up working for Mort Lachman and Alan Lansburg again for Spencer, aka Under One Roof. Uncle Ed (Pete Schrum) was written out after his wedding to an ex-hooker (Arlene Golonka), Grandma died some time during the summer (though Jane Dulo would outlive John Hoyt by three years, ironically), and Joey Lawrence and Telma Hopkins took their places. That's when the theme song changed from "I sure deserve it" to "now I know what it takes."
Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Smartboy

I just finished watching the video. Very interesting indeed!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me

The set was also different. This was not the pilot we saw. I wonder if they had to film something to show the network and they bought it and then wanted the changes made Usually March is the time the pilots film then in July/August episodes 2,3,4...usually they go in order nowadays Back then they didn't. They taped out of order

GAB also used the same GUEST STARS who played minor characters as different minor characters....They also brought in that actor who played Hamilton Storm and then after season 2, recast him as Dennis, a neighbor of Addy's.

www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

I want see the intro to the lost unaired pilot
Old 04-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Heenan Fan
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the link. There's more inside info there than there is on the GAB E! True Hollywood Story, which was a disappointment.