Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Random Posts
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
um
Forum Regular

Default What do you think is happening with Ricard Simmons?

I have been aware of Richard Simmons for decades. I think I recall first hearing about him in the early to mid 1980s when I saw a report on him in a now-forgotten TV show called PM Magazine which aired in New York at that time. Back then he was shown as running a fitness salon for women and actually according to what I saw he was like a cruel drill sergeant talking down to the women and telling them how ugly and fat they are and they have to get in shape, etc.

However, now it is said that he had "disappeared" a few years back and there are reports that he does not want to be famous anymore and just decided to abruptly hide in his home and not make any appearances, but other rumors are that he is being held prisoner in his own home by some housekeeper of his, and there are other reports (or rumors) that people who have known him for quite a while have actually noticed that he had been "deteriorating" for several years already.
There is a certain rumor that he has dementia.
I recall hearing only a few years ago that he had gotten into some kind of altercation at an airport. I don't now recall the specifics.
So maybe something had been going on with him psychologically.

I never knew that he was almost 70. I thought he was maybe in his late 50s.

What do you think might be happening to, or going on with Richard Simmons?

(I have not seen the recent documentary about him)

http://people.com/bodies/richard-sim...ling-behavior/
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Chocolate Moose

I doubt he's in his 50's. When I was a teenager, I watched him on General Hospital.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

I think he is suffering from depression and just wants to be left alone.

I hope he is okay and not being held against his will but I don't think that is a likely scenario.

He says that is not the case.

He helped so many people and was such a fabulous talk show guest. I guess he is retired and just wants to be by himself.

It is understandable.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
I think he is suffering from depression and just wants to be left alone.

I hope he is okay and not being held against his will but I don't think that is a likely scenario.

He says that is not the case.

He helped so many people and was such a fabulous talk show guest. I guess he is retired and just wants to be by himself.

It is understandable.

Wow...Richard Simmons has depression? It seems he's usually happy...I hope he doesn't do what Robin Williams did...

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Richard Simmons Speaks Out after Hospitalization
by Jackie Strause
4/19/17

Richard Simmons says he is feeling good and hopes to see his fans again soon after being hospitalized Monday for severe indigestion.

ďHello to everyone who has shown concern for me and sent their good wishes. You will never know how much it means to me," said the fitness guru in a statement released by his rep to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.

"Arenít you sick of hearing and reading about me?! LOL Well by now you know that Iím not Ďmissing,í just a little under the weather. Iím sure I will be feeling good and back home in a couple of days."

Simmons was admitted to an undisclosed California hospital "after a few days of battling severe indigestion and discomfort while eating," his manager, Michael Catalano, confirmed Tuesday. He is currently seeking treatment and expected to make a full recovery.

ďThis has reminded me that when you need help you canít be afraid to reach out and ask for it. We all think we should always be able to solve our problems all by ourselves and sometimes itís just bigger than we are,Ē the statement continues.

ďI reached out and I hope you will, too. Iím sure there are people in your life who love and care for you and would do anything to help you with the challenges you face. Just knowing you care has already made me feel better. Hope to see you again soon!Ē

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ization-995437
Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I'm not usually very conspiracy minded, but everything about this situation seems to indicate something more is going on. His comments don't really address the issue of him vanishing for months or years. It all seems like a case trying to put a happy face on something deeper.

Ultimately, he's entitled to live his life his way and he doesn't really owe the public an explanation. But if I had to bet, I'd say there were emotional issues at work. I also hope the people around him are worthy of his trust.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Dextroque
Occasional Poster

Ageing ain't that pretty sometimes
Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
um
Forum Regular

"Missing for months or years" ?
I have not kept track of Richard Simmons but I don't recall that years have passed since he had made an appearance somehow. One of the last TV appearances I recall was when he appeared on Martha Stewart's TV show slightly after she was convicted of lying about selling stocks before the price of the stocks plummeted. I think I have seen him promoting an exercise video that was somehow sponsored by a juice company. It might have been "V-8" or
"Ocean Spray."
I also understand that he runs an exercise studio and he had almost always been busy leading exercise classes there even if he does not make TV appearances.

However this entire issue of him missing could have something to do with him being very sick and he just might be trying to hide it and it might be only a short time before there is news of his passing.

I wish him well, but I am just saying that he is older than I ever thought he was and even though he has probably always been in much better shape than most people younger than him, news of his mysterious disappearance seems to be tell-tale in some way