Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default Which Character Suffered More in Richie's Absence?

To me, it's a toss up between Lori Beth and Potsie. Both characters needed to have Richie around to play off of to really work. After Ron Howard left, it seemed like they only really used Lori Beth for "ghost" storylines involving Richie (like their "wedding" and the birth of their son). I also found it funny that Richie wasn't allowed to be at least temporarily discharged from the Army so that he could be there for his son's birth (it kind of made Richie look bad if you asked me).

With Potsie, I honestly don't know why Anson Williams stayed on after Ron Howard and Donny Most left. The writers didn't really know what to do with Potsie. All of the "youth" storylines that Potsie, Richie and Ralph once occupied were now transferred to Joanie, Chachi and Jenny (and to a lesser extent, the students that Foznie and Roger taught at Jefferson High). I think there was a period where they tried to make him into the Cunningham's surrogate son in Richie's absence (like having Potsie work at Howard's hardware store).
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

I agree.

Lori Beth seemed to be around more than she had been, lol! They did kind of use her to keep Richie's spirit on the show.

Potsie too, he didn't have any of his friends left. They did work him into some episodes, but it still felt kinda weird. i think they wanted to have some old characters around, even if just in the background, while the new ones were introduced, to keep the show feeling familar.

BTW--did Potsie EVER graduate college?

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"
Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I think the Potsie character suffered greatly due to the departure not only of Ritchie but Ralph as well. The writers had no idea what to do with Potsie once Ritchie and Ralph were no longer there for him to interact with. And it seems like didn't really try either. It seems like the writers choose to concentrate on Joannie and Chachi and the newer/younger characters and Potsie and Loribeth just faded into the background.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Waterston_Fan

I think it's both Lori Beth and Potsie.

I just don't understand why LB gets married then leaves for a few weeks and comes back to the C's and have her baby. Then she leaves again in this season or the 10th..

I would think that LB would want Richie there for the birth of their kid and she should have been in Greenland.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Both characters suffered, but in my opinion, Anson Williams moreso.

They really did not seem to know what to do with him without Ron and Donny's characters to play off of. No wonder why Anson said that the magic was gone when they left.

In a way, though, Goodfriend's character got a boost. She got promoted to full cast member status and because of the wedding and childbirth, had a reason to interact with the Cunninghams, who were now her family.

And the reason Richie didn't make the wedding was because Ron Howard left the show! I always thought Fonzie standing in for Richie was lame. They should have waited until Ron returned in the final season and had their marriage and move to California as the plot line for the show.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I'm trying to remember if Anson's episode when he's hired as the nightclub singer was before or after Ron and Donny left. Regardless, that's probably one of the best uses of his character in a single story. Potsie did always have Fonzie around -- and sometimes he really needed him!

I agree with Dr. Thong about Lori Beth's interaction with the Cunninghams, especially all of her scenes with Marion.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I'm trying to remember if Anson's episode when he's hired as the nightclub singer was before or after Ron and Donny left. Regardless, that's probably one of the best uses of his character in a single story. Potsie did always have Fonzie around -- and sometimes he really needed him!

I agree with Dr. Thong about Lori Beth's interaction with the Cunninghams, especially all of her scenes with Marion.

Are you referring to 'A Potsie Is Born?'. It was in the 7th season, before Ron and Don left.

To answer the question to this thread, I'd say Lori Beth and Potsie suffered the most in Richie's absence.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Here's something that strikes me as being odd. Okay, Richie couldn't get time off to marry Lori Beth, so Fonzie acted as a stand-in. Yet, somehow, he managed to find time for a honeymoon. Why didn't he just wait until he could get the time off and just do the wedding right before the honeymoon?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Here's something that strikes me as being odd. Okay, Richie couldn't get time off to marry Lori Beth, so Fonzie acted as a stand-in. Yet, somehow, he managed to find time for a honeymoon. Why didn't he just wait until he could get the time off and just do the wedding right before the honeymoon?

I was thinking the same thing. Actually, they should have had Richie and Lori Beth get married before Ron left and had Ron guest-star in the episode where the baby was born.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Agreed.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
TMC
Forum Veteran

I wonder if Ron Howard had any say or approval in regards to storylines involving him after he left the show?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong

They didn't have a honeymoon. Lori Beth visited Ritchie at the army base in Greenland. However she could only visit him on the base if they were already married. That's why they got married via telephone with Fonzie as the proxy.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Oh, I forgot. It's been so long since I saw that episode.

But still, the wedding thing was cheesy. They should have waited until Richie came home.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Fonziefan1
Occasional Poster
Ayyyyyyyy!

Lori Beth was sort of used to carry the memory of Richie, but at the same time it gave her limitations since by the time the 10th season came around they most likely didn't have her back because they didn't want a little kid crawling around the Cunningham house. It just wouldn't have worked in my opinion. So basically 2 -post Richie seasons is all she got.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonziefan1

Lori Beth was sort of used to carry the memory of Richie, but at the same time it gave her limitations since by the time the 10th season came around they most likely didn't have her back because they didn't want a little kid crawling around the Cunningham house. It just wouldn't have worked in my opinion. So basically 2 -post Richie seasons is all she got.

They pretty much gave all of the cute kid spotlight on Heather O'Rourke's character.