Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery

Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me

Default NBC 90th Anniversary (did they leave out GAB as one of the shows?)

I skimmed it over on you tube...I didn't care for it.

Why?

The usual. Too much focus on Cheers. Family Ties. The Golden Girls. Frasier. Friends. Cosby. And all the shows that came out since NBC's 75th in the early 2000s to present. It didn't give enough time for even little snippets of shows from the 1980s!

As far as I could tell, by skimming, they showed The Facts Of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Night Court, heck they even showed a clip from 227...

And then at the end Kelsey says "Oh, we're so sorry if one of your favorite shows didn't get mentioned tonight. We'll save that for the 100th I'm gonna host." UGH!

So I didn't see anything on Gimme A Break! Alf, Punky Brewster, Silver Spoons, Amen, or even Mama's Family...

And out of all of those GAB ran the longest on there for 6 years and Nell hosted a lot of events in the 1980s. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they did touch upon it and those other shows but I didn't find that when I skimmed.

If they didn't, that's a lot of disrespect for the show and Nell Carter. It was the 3rd biggest family sitcom of the 1980s on there aside from Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life.

www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats

So I didn't see anything on Gimme A Break! Alf, Punky Brewster, Silver Spoons, Amen, or even Mama's Family

I watched it last night, and I'm 99% sure none of those had a clip shown.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Jjsime31
Occasional Poster

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I just wanted to say that I was disappointed in this special. Too much time was spent on rehashing the same shows. Especially the newer shows. Hazel was on NBC and wasn't mentioned. Just what demographic were they going for anyway? The show was three hours long and it should've been done a lot better than it was. It should've been done by decades: 50's, 60's etc. just my two cents.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me

NBC has totally gone downhill since the early 1990s.

Look at the 75th celebration. They touched upon a few of those shows they left out, even if only a few seconds of each. But, they favored the same crap like Cheers, Cosby. Golden Girls and Family Ties. That's it. And of course they had to show a clip from Diff'rent Stroke and Facts Of Life because those 2 were the longest running family shows. GAB was 3rd longest next to those (Family Ties doesn't count here because it's just so much better than all 3 which is why they have to keep praising it in these clip shows more and more and I feel the show wasn't as good as those other 3)... That's all they look at really when they look at the 1980s. The 1990s they look at Wings and then the crappy Frasier and Friends. All adult place shows that took place AFTER all the great 1980s shows wrapped.

But remember, now they have more crap since 2002 that they had to focus on, right? So that's why they had to leave out all those other shows from the 1980s, for favor of The Office, Parks And Recreation, and other adult place sitcoms and comedies without a studio audience and that weren't about family.

Yes, NBC has gone WAAAAAY downhill.

Kelsey said they will show the shows they didn't for the 100th. I strongly doubt that. That's another 10 years of "Crap" they will focus on, along with just Cheers, Cosby, The Golden Girls and Family Ties just being mentioned, really. If lucky, maybe a few others. Night Court and 227 I am surprised they mentioned.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats
The 1990s they look at Wings and then the crappy Frasier and Friends. All adult place shows that took place AFTER all the great 1980s shows wrapped.

But remember, now they have more crap since 2002 that they had to focus on, right? So that's why they had to leave out all those other shows from the 1980s, for favor of The Office, Parks And Recreation, and other adult place sitcoms and comedies without a studio audience and that weren't about family.

True that-- Friends was awful to begin with, and that title track ("I'll Be There For You") didn't help matters whatsoever. As for Frasier, I've seen about 4.5 seasons' worth, I think, from CBS' condensed all-in-one release, and it was okay for what I've seen of it, then it devolved down to seemingly having more romantic storylines and less of the wit that it was known for having, and as such I abandoned it and haven't seen any more since.

And although this is a subforum about Gimme A Break!, with the topic being about NBC's 90th Anniversary Celebration (and as such, this more likely belongs in the Game Shows subforum), I was disgusted with how they handled the game show portion of that broadcast-- all it was was the old B/W game shows (You Bet Your Life, et al.), and a little bit of Wheel and Super Password; they didn't even touch Hollywood Squares, Card Sharks, or $ale of the Century (even though all those had long runs on NBC, the latter two with Jim Perry). Instead, the balance of it was about those ugly reality shows, of which Dog Eat Dog, IMO, was one of the ugliest.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #6
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

I didn't see the special, but I'm not surprised "Gimme a Break" wasn't included. These programs aren't about which shows are the best or which shows helped to build the network. They are mostly about ticking off boxes on a "what's hot now checklist" to appear cutting edge.

Diversity is a hot topic now and there's no way a show about a black woman taking care of a bunch of white people is going to be included on an anniversary show of this kind. We know Nell Carter was a terrific actress and GAB was more than that, but to the casual viewer, she comes across as a Mammie figure. GAB has become misunderstood and politically incorrect.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
king of comedy

I didn't see it either but I'll take anybodys' word for it. But I did catch a bit of the end when Kelsey Grammar said "If we didn't show a clip from a show you loved, we'll show it on the 100th anniversary.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
I did catch a bit of the end when Kelsey Grammar said "If we didn't show a clip from a show you loved, we'll show it on the 100th anniversary."

That's great, Kelsey! I look forward to catching a clip of Hello, Larry!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

I haven't seen this special yet...I did see the 60th Anniversary though.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
That's great, Kelsey! I look forward to catching a clip of Hello, Larry!

LOL! Yeah, wait for it.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me

NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 100th. Just 10 more years of crap shows they will focus on. Good luck getting a 227 clip or even night court in that one!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I didn't watch it but I assume they didn't include NewsRadio. Which makes sense, as NBC didn't appreciate it while it was on, moving it around the schedule something like nine times in four and a half seasons, and Preston Beckman, the head of scheduling admitted in an interviewer to hating the show.

(1) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2) Boy Meets World (3) Cheers (4) Community (5) Ellen (6) Grounded for Life (7) Hey Dude (8)The Honeymooners (9) I Love Lucy (10) The King of Queens (11) Married with Children (12) Mister Ed (13) The Munsters (14) Ned and Stacey (15) Newhart (16) NewsRadio (17) Night Court (18) Norm (19) The Office (20) Parks & Recreation (21) Rhoda (22) Spin City (23) Taxi (24) That 70s Show (25) Wings
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
TMC
Forum Veteran

10 Great NBC Shows The 90th Anniversary Special Forgot