Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Crusinforabrusin

Default I hate cigarette smell. Do you?

Nearly every day I have to smell this putrid odor. Every time I smell it , I immediately begin to gag and try to cover my nose because it smells so bad. And I seem to have this paranoia where I think I'm going to get cancer or seriously Ill if I keep breathing the stench in. Thing is , its completely unavoidable, so I have to deal with this paranoia almost on a daily basis.

Anyone know the probability of actually developing lung /breathing issues from the stench?

Note: The smoke I smell is still a recent thing known as thirdhand smoke
Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Nordy
Gilmore Guy and Proud of it!!

I personally can't stand cigarette smoke from a childhood of both of my parents being smokers. However pipe smoke I find soothing...I'm crazy...lol
Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Flying Dutchman

Yes I do hate Cigarette smoke. Gets me sick. I smoked from the age of 13 to the age of 29. Hardest thing I ever did was quit. . Nicotine is an addictive drug and when you quit it, you go into withdraws and sometimes panic attacks, cold sweats. It's like those people detoxing off alcohol, only not as severe. It took me 13 months to get back to normal again. Been off of them for 26 years and proud of it.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusinforabrusin
Nearly every day I have to smell this putrid odor. Every time I smell it ,
Why do you smell cigarette smoke every day?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
70s show watcher

yes and thats one reason why i do not smoke
Old 01-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Crusinforabrusin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
Why do you smell cigarette smoke every day?

Public places . Walking past people that blow smoke in your face. Such thing known as third hand smoke.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
PhoenixAcres
Happy Fall

I've never smoked, never plan to, and only rarely come across cigarette smoke. When I do smell it I'm not really bothered by the odor itself; it's more of a peculiar smell than an annoyance. Obviously if I was around it all the time my attitude would change.

I've never heard of third-hand smoke but I know second-hand smoke is almost as bad as doing the smoking yourself. I'd try to limit your exposure as much as possible.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixAcres16
I've never smoked, never plan to, and only rarely come across cigarette smoke. When I do smell it I'm not really bothered by the odor itself; it's more of a peculiar smell than an annoyance. Obviously if I was around it all the time my attitude would change.

I've never heard of third-hand smoke but I know second-hand smoke is almost as bad as doing the smoking yourself. I'd try to limit your exposure as much as possible.

Third hand smoke is the residue/smell that gets into carpets/drapes/walls/surfaces, etc.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
PhoenixAcres
Happy Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Third hand smoke is the residue/smell that gets into carpets/drapes/walls/surfaces, etc.
Oh okay thanks. I'd imagine that's not as severe as second-hand smoke but dangerous just the same.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy
I personally can't stand cigarette smoke from a childhood of both of my parents being smokers.

Same here.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

I don't care for the smell either but most of my husband's relatives are smokers, so I'm around it more than I want to be. My son also smokes but we make him go out on the patio or porch to light up. You can still smell that stale cigarette smoke on his clothes though.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Family Ties Forever!

I can't stand the smell. I hate the smell of cigarettes.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
I don't care for the smell either but most of my husband's relatives are smokers, so I'm around it more than I want to be. My son also smokes but we make him go out on the patio or porch to light up. You can still smell that stale cigarette smoke on his clothes though.

Same here! Friends and relatives that still smoke! I used to smoke but quit years ago. I don't care for the smell either, but out of respect nobody smokes in my house if they are smokers visiting! And I find with the no smoking in buildings rule these days mainly everyone does smoke outside. So I don't really find it that annoying or notice the smell too much!

More than not liking the smell, I worry for the health of the family and friends who smoke! Luckily most aren't really heavy smokers, I do have a friend and a cousin who are though! And as for getting cancer from second or third hand smoke, I don't worry about that at all. I think it is very unlikely!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #14
Wawwie

My best friend smokes pot, but he doesn't smoke regular cigarettes. Anyway, when we are in his apartment, he lights up quite often and the smell doesn't bother me too much, just a little, but I really don't mind it.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
My best friend smokes pot, but he doesn't smoke regular cigarettes. Anyway, when we are in his apartment, he lights up quite often and the smell doesn't bother me too much, just a little, but I really don't mind it.

I like the smell of pot!!!!