Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Default getting older

I must be getting older...on the news tonight they said the names of all the movies that are up for Oscars this year; and I haven't heard of ANY of them!

I feel like I did back when I was 17 (I'm 59) and someone called me "mister" for the first time

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 AM   #2
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I must be getting older...on the news tonight they said the names of all the movies that are up for Oscars this year; and I haven't heard of ANY of them!

I feel like I did back when I was 17 (I'm 59) and someone called me "mister" for the first time

Let's see. I pulled the best picture list:

Best Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

I haven't seen any, but I've heard of 7 out of 8.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus

Best Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

The only one I heard of was La La Land. I only saw 2 current movies last year and that was Sully and Rogue One.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Alan Brady's Hair

I heard of Heartbreak Ridge, and then LA LA Land because it got a lot of Golden Globes attention. Last movie I saw in a theater was Sully, which was quite good, so based on what I've seen I'd give that the Oscar.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Sometimes I get it when people haven't heard of the nominated films, but I'm surprised that more people haven't heard of them this year. I've seen so much more advertisement about most of them this year from multiple sources that I don't typically see.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus

Best Picture

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

I've seen 7 out of 8. I just have to see Moonlight.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

I've heard of all of them, but only have interest in 2 of them.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

I've only heard of Hidden Figures. This is usually the case with the nominations...it's always full of movies that are not well-known.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
dakert

If you want to feel old go to the IMDB home page and check out who is celebrating a birthday. I don't know many these days.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

I haven't heard of any of them.I haven't been to a movie in years! I used to keep up on movies and television but most of the Emmy awards nominated shows I have never heard of! When there were only three major networks I knew about all of the shows. But now there are so many channels I just don't watch anything on the old networks(ABC, NBC and CBS) I still watch PBS a lot. Yup, I'm getting old too Joe!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I've only heard of Hidden Figures. This is usually the case with the nominations...it's always full of movies that are not well-known.

That's often the case, but this year most of the nominees have done very well at the box office. I believe only one of them has grossed under $25M.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Heard of six of them, seen none.

I barely watch TV anymore, so I don't get many commercials about movies. And I saw two movies in the theater last year: CA: Civil War and XMen: Apocalypse.

It's something that's been going on for a while. I just can't afford to go to tons of films like I did when I was younger (and didn't think about saving money) plus Hollywood is becoming creatively bankrupt. There ARE good films being made, but most of them don't make it to the small towns, and if they do, they are gone in a week.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

The last theatrical movie I saw was Rogue One. The majority of new films I have any interest in don't play at the mainstream cinemas. When we do go to the theaters it's usually at the pub theaters or the indie/arthouse ones. This recent gap in theater outings has mainly been due to the snow and ice we've been hit with. Now that the weather is back to normal for us we'll probably go soon.

More often than not the films I want to see, the only theatrical play they get are during their festival runs.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Mace Dolex

In my teens (I'm 40 now) I used to watch lots of TV and movies and watch entertainment programs like Entertainment Tonight, I wouldn't call myself a movie buff but I'm familiar with certain actors/actresses and their body of work.

But yeah when it comes to Oscar nominated movies I don't give a crap, of the nominees I have heard of them but haven't seen any nor do I plan to, if they ever show up on cable maybe I'll see it.