Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #16
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
No need to generalize kids, not all of us with kids of today raised them on computers and video games. Even us kids of yesterday were entertained by many things that weren't electronic or circus related.

I felt that my childhood and the people who were children at my time (80's and 90's) had the balance of electronics and outdoor activities. I didn't have the suburbanite life, but we still found a way to entertain ourselves.

Today... I don't see any of that! Corporation and technology really ruined it! If I have a family, I'd teach them the art of "no" and send them to tech-free entertainment like the fair or the drive-in...

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

The last time I went to the circus was ? 50 years ago and a ticket was maybe a dollar and half to $3.00. I don't remember my mom buying much more than the brochure/listing booklet and that might have been a 25Cents. I do wonder how much less attendance had they got over the less ten years. Half full arenas?? 1/3 ? So sad but time moves on. Something else takes its place.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:58 AM   #18
um
Forum Regular

MrCleveland and Coffeecup

Interesting posts. I was taken to the RB&B circus when I was about 10 or 12 by my teacher. Loved it, but I became more environmentally aware by the time my sister took me again some two and a half decades later . I could sense the animal cruelty factor more then, and though I can admit that certain circuses began to treat their animals much better after there had been so much social awareness in the 60s and 70s , the circus just seemed to have lost something as an entertainment form and it was very apparent to me. The show that my sister took me to when I was nearing middle age was rather plain and not so flashy, and focused on the traditional acrobatics and other such acts. It actually was better concept-wise than the overdone glitz and "modernizing" that some other shows had.
I did not think that the RB&B circus would ever "go out of business." I thought maybe it would just fade or transform, maybe stop touring and only have a home in one of the states where people have to go and see it, maybe turn into a much smaller circus without animal acts but with clowns, acrobats, areal acts, but RB&B is indeed going out of business. However I guess it will "live on" in a certain way at the RB&B Circus Museum, unless that too is going out of business which I don't think so. I guess there will be more people going to the circus museum now that there is no RB&B circus.

I feel it is for the better even though it is a bit sad. The RB&B circus actually had a long slow death.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp91
First Big Apple Circus, now Ringling Bros

Did you hear that the Big Apple Circus won't "die" after all?
(or that is what I best understand)

http://www.amny.com/news/big-apple-c...ers-1.13123593
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Cool

My folks visited Circus World, the theme park operated by the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus during the summer of 1979. I was given these items when I was a kid and kept them.

Circus World was located near Walt Disney World and operated from 1974-1986. Did anyone here get to visit there?

Brochure:

Admission Ticket:

Postcards:

Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #21
Regulus

Biggrin

When I was living in Michigan I would fly to Florida to spend Christmas with relatives. My last full day I'd visit Disney Magic Kingdom or Circus World (I'd alternate the parks each year). Although Circus World (Called Boardwalk and Baseball in it's final year) is no longer with us you can still ride their wooden roller coaster. After the park closed another park, Magic Springs, which is located in Hot Springs, Arkansas purchased the the Florida Hurricane and had it dismantled and relocated to Magic Springs. It was also renamed the Arkiansas Twister. So if you are ever in Arkansas come say hello to an old friend.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #22
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
My folks visited Circus World, the theme park operated by the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus during the summer of 1979. I was given these items when I was a kid and kept them.

Circus World was located near Walt Disney World and operated from 1974-1986. Did anyone here get to visit there?

Brochure:

Admission Ticket:

Postcards:

Are those posters? It seems they would be important collectors items, but at least they have some historic value as to what entertainment venues used to exist at that time. It is good you shared them here. The photos of the people and the clothes they are wearing do look from the 1970s up to the mid 1980s. I used to have a lot of comics, posters and magazines from the 1970s that I wished I kept or at least had photos of.

I never got to visit there. I might have had it confused with Circus World Museum which I guess is not the same.
I think there is a circus museum somewhere whether run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey or not. It seems that all kinds of artifacts and photos of different circuses throughout the centuries must be there.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #23
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
Are those posters? It seems they would be important collectors items, but at least they have some historic value as to what entertainment venues used to exist at that time. It is good you shared them here. The photos of the people and the clothes they are wearing do look from the 1970s up to the mid 1980s. I used to have a lot of comics, posters and magazines from the 1970s that I wished I kept or at least had photos of.

I never got to visit there. I might have had it confused with Circus World Museum which I guess is not the same.
I think there is a circus museum somewhere whether run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey or not. It seems that all kinds of artifacts and photos of different circuses throughout the centuries must be there.

Not posters, postcards.

Circus World Museum is in Baraboo, Wisconsin operated by the Wisconsin Historical Society today. The Ringling Brothers were from Baraboo and launched their first circus over there. The museum displays many of their early exhibits, however it's not limited to only the Ringling Brothers.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #24
LaBestia
Chris Harrison Rules

There is a main reason why Ringling Bros. Circus is closing and what I think the reason that's causing the circus to close is that many people and kids do not have any interest in circuses or anything else. If you get to go to concerts that attract families and kids you'll notice that the kids are usually playing their tablets or Nintendo Gameboys and listening to music on their MP3 players or listening to their pocket radios rather than enjoying the concerts because the parents want the children quiet while trying to enjoy the concert and with the circus it's the same thing but with the circus gone a wonderful thing of childhood is a memory of the past. Take for instance when I was little my town used to have festivals that had really wonderful puppet shows and the puppet shows were really interesting and fun and it was so awesome for a kid to see and now if you go to any park you don't see puppet shows being performed anymore and that is a really wonderful thing for a child to see. I only attended the circus once as an infant and it didn't impress me much and I would've liked something better. But I have a feeling that ice shows will replace the circus and also we shall see other types of shows that will attract lots of families
Bestie
Good Morning Chris Harrison "What Final Answers Do You Have For Your #1 Fan This Wonderful Morning?"