Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
MISST3

Default Splitting The Tab At Restaurants

Has anyone come up with a easy and fair way, to split a large friends/family
group restaurant bill, without coming across as petty? Esp. restaurants that
don't facilitate separate checks. In the past we have split the check + tip
among the males in the group, but someone always has to overpay in order
to make it right, because some people have had more food and drinks, than anybody else. Or, should you just, take the high road, pickup the entire tab,
and let someone else, pay the entire tab next time? No one wants to be
thought of as petty and cheap, so I'm wondering what do other people do?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

With an established group of people, we usually just send the check around and people put in what they owe as they pass it around. If someone's shorting on what they owe it'll become apparent pretty quickly.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

My friends and I just decide on a certain amount after we've all looked at the bill. One of us may suggest "$15.00 each" or "$20.00 each" and there's not much conversation since it's usually agreed upon. We don't pull out a calculator and pay the exact amount for what we individually ordered.

One may decide to put the bill on their credit card and we give them the cash + whatever extra fees there were (drinks usually).
Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Babalu

It all depends on the people involved. When splitting checks people fall into various groups: the generous, the fair, the cheap, and the larcenous. I'm in the generous group. If others order more expensive things than I, I'll split the check evenly. If I order a $100+ bottle of wine, which for me is common, I'll kick the entire cost for the bottle even if others share the wine or order other drinks for themselves. The fair don't usually care how the check is split. The cheap want to make sure they don't pay for other's food, and the larcenous insist on collecting the money so they can cheat for themselves. The latter group usually get weeded out over time.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 01-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

The best way is to ask for separate checks. I know a few restaurants waitresses don't that. But they should do it. It make takes more time but it is SO much easier for each person eating. IF JIm orders a chowder, lobster, a beer and Sally orders a hamburger and coffee, no should split the check. Sally's bill comes to $9.95 and Jim's is $40. NO way should Sally chip in $25.00 . Also putting in what you owe with one big bill, somehow the bill is never right. Someone is too low or someone is too high all struggling to get the right total. You pay with separate checks and no one is fumbling. I went to restaurant with 30 people and the waitress only did separate checks.