Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
um
Forum Regular

Default Worst songs of all time?

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2012/0...-all-time.html

Found this in the internet.
Some of the most memorable and popular songs ever are considered to be among the worst songs of all time.
If the link works, look at the list and explain why you agree or don't agree with certain selections for the title. (Actually though I have my own opinion as to which songs are good candidates for the label, I am amazed at how many really good (underrated) songs end up on the list. I just wonder who the person thinks s/he is deciding this).
Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

I agree with a lot of songs on that list but not all of them especially "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" -Gordon Lightfoot. How can that tribute be on the list? I'm appalled! But everyone has different tastes. I have to agree with him that "Honey " -Bobby Goldsboro is one of the worst! He neglected to include all of those awful car crash death songs of the early 60's. "Last Kiss","Tell Laura I Love Her" and Teen Angel.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Question

Shouldn't this be on the music board?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Alan Brady's Hair

He managed to hit my un-favorite, Mary McGregor ' s " Torn Between Two Lovers."

Some of the listed songs I like because they're bad but fun enough to be good, such as Karma Chameleon. Some of the ones I think are okay songs are on the fringes of country and I wonder if he's not interested in that little area of music - Watching Scotty Grow, Everyday House wife, and Ruby (and especially O.C. Smith's Little Green Apples).

Edmond Fitzgerald is a good song.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Music

These I actually like, there were several that I've never heard or don't recall ever hearing.

The Night Chicago Died....Paper Lace

One Tin Soldier....Coven

Mule Skinner Blues....Fendermen

Ballad of the Green Beret....Sgt. Barry Sandler

Deck of Cards....Wink Martindale

Wildfire...Michael Murphy

Indiana Wants Me...R.Dean Taylor

Little Black Egg....Nightcrawlers

Baby I'm a want you....Bread

Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald....Gordon Lightfoot

The Streaker...Ray Stevens

Ringo...Lorne Green

Happiest Girl in the USA ...Donna Fargo

I Put a Spell on You...Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Locomotion...Grand Funk Railroad

The Americans...Byron McGregor

Haunted House...Gene Simmons

Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town....Kenny Rogers

Sometimes when we touch…Dan Hill

I'm Henry the Eighth....Herman's Hermits

Another Somebody done somebody wrong song...B.J. Thomas

You Light up my Life…Debby Boone

Please Mr. Please...Olivia Newton John

Ding dong the witch is dead....Fifth Estate

Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep...Mac & Katie Kissoon

Dreams of the Everyday Housewife…Glen Campbell

Chevy Van…Sammy Johns

England Swings…Roger Miller

Ain’t Gonna Bump with no Big Fat Woman…Joe Tex
Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Music 10 songs I despise that didn't make the list

#1. (You're) "Having My Baby" - Paul Anka & Odia Coates
#2. "Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina & the Waves
#3. "Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
#4. "In the Summertime" - Mungo Jerry
#5 "Jeans On" - Dave Dundas
#6. "My Ding-a-Ling" - Chuck Berry
#7. "Rock On" - David Essex
#8. "I Ran" (So far Away) - A Flock of Seagulls
#9. "Ebony & Ivory" - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
#10. "Maniac" - Michael Sembello
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
retroTVfan4ever

I agree with many of the songs on this guy's list, however I disagree with these:

The Night Chicago Died
Wildfire
Indiana Wants Me
Seasons In The Sun
Torn Between Two Lovers
Tin Man
Wham Bam (Shang A Lang)
Aint No Way To Treat A Lady
Touch Me In The Morning
Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song
Chick A Boom
Please Mr. Please
Feelings
Chevy Van

I disagree because all of the above are included in my hits of the 70's collection. A few of these tunes might be a tad on the cheesy side, for example The Night Chicago Died, Indiana Wants Me, Torn Between Two Lovers, but these are still quality songs, they are memorable 1970's hits and in my opinion all of them belong on any comprehensive 70's hits collection.

Someone responded to the guy's list and mentioned the Melanie tune Brand New Key as being one of the worst. I disagree with that one too, yeah her singing isn't great but it's a fun song and any 70's hits collection is incomplete without it's inclusion!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I liked these from his list:

Yummy Yummy Yummy....1919 Fruit Gum Co.

Wildfire...Michael Murphy
Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald....Gordon Lightfoot
Heartbeat is a Love beat -- Delfranco Family
Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town....Kenny Rogers
Wam Bam (Shang-a-Ling)….the Silvers
Mmmmm Bop...Hanson
I am Woman…Helen Reddy

However, some of the others were just sort of "OK" and probably didn't belong on the list.

"Drink A Beer", "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" and "I Love This Bar" should all be on this list.

Oh, and any list like this that doesn't include "The Superbowl Shuffle" by the Bears in '86 needs updating!!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
"Drink A Beer", "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" and "I Love This Bar" should all be on this list.

"Drink a Beer" I don't think I've ever heard. "Honkytonk badonkadonk" I agree with, easily one of the worst country songs ever. I actually like "I Love This Bar" by Toby Keith but "Red Solo Cup" I can do without.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
#1. (You're) "Having My Baby" - Paul Anka & Odia Coates
#2. "Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina & the Waves
#3. "Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
#4. "In the Summertime" - Mungo Jerry
#5 "Jeans On" - Dave Dundas
#6. "My Ding-a-Ling" - Chuck Berry
#7. "Rock On" - David Essex
#8. "I Ran" (So far Away) - A Flock of Seagulls
#9. "Ebony & Ivory" - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
#10. "Maniac" - Michael Sembello

(You're) Having My Baby- yeah that one is cheesy too and Paul Anka does some bad singing in that song, but it's also a memorable hit from 1974 so it's included in my collection.

In The Summertime- that song is OK, I like it and it's also included in my collection as a bonus track, not part of the main collection.

Rock On- I used to dislike that song too but over the years it grew on me so I included it in my collection, but again as a bonus track and not part of the main collection.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
Babalu

As soon as I saw The Night Chicago Died towards the top of the list I knew the list sucked.

Besides, today's music is so hideous even the bad songs on that list are better than any rap or technocrap they have now.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #12
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Are they serious????? A lot of these songs are actually some of my favorite all time songs!

I Love.......

Baby I'm a want you (I LOVE this,it's a beautiful romantic song)

Chevy Van ( OMG this was popular when I was a young teen virgin ,just starting with boyfriends kissing and just doing a little "stuff"! I SO wanted to fall in love with a guy and make love in his "Chevy Van" )!!! To me at the time,this was such a beautiful romantic song! Still is !! I love it for the nostalgia, and hey I'd LOVE to do a hot guy in his van!!!! !

Indiana wants me
Wildfire
One tin Soldier ( this is the Billy Jack song right) ?
Which way you goin Billy
I am woman ( You go girl, Helen Reddy "I am woman hear me roar"!
Sometimes when we touch
Heartbeat is a love beat
Henry the eight ( This was a REALLY fun song) !
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #13
Edison

I think s/he is deciding to be a pot stirrer. "The Little Black Egg" ???!!! WHAT THE....calm down, calm down. Ok, maybe a few guilty pleasures there.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #14
bmasters9

Two of the absolute worst, IMO:

"Boot Scootin' Boogie," Brooks and Dunn
"I'll Be There For You," The Rembrandts (not only in its long version, but also as the title track of Friends [1994-04 NBC comedy that I never cared for anyway])
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
As soon as I saw The Night Chicago Died towards the top of the list I knew the list sucked.

Besides, today's music is so hideous even the bad songs on that list are better than any rap or technocrap they have now.

The Night Chicago Died is a cheesy tune, but it's also one of the classic hits from 1974 and I think any 70's hits compilation would be incomplete without it.

The 70's had it's share of cheesy songs, but in my opinion there's good cheese and bad cheese. Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks is an example of good cheese, Rocky by Austin Roberts is an example of bad cheese.

The problem with much of today's music is that people seldom bother to write decent songs now, it's become mostly style and attitude instead of substance. Occasionally some good music comes out, but the majority of it is garbage.