Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Roxy LaTour
Frequent Poster
Pal to French Foreign Legion

Heart Obsessed: Shirley and Carmine

Okay, as far as L&S love connections go, I've always been a Lavenny shipper. Growing up, Carmine was kind of a goofball I tolerated cause I loved Shirley so much, but he was my least favorite. Now, all grown up-- Carmine is freaking awesome. I am officially a die-hard Shirley and Carmine shipper. They are my L&S OTP. Why? I'll tell ya why. The way he looks at her. It's something I never picked up on as a kid, but holy Toledo, I swoon. And I lovelovelove how Shirley is around/about him. Her jealousy, her sweetness, her imperiled self-restraint, her Carmine shimmy (!!!). Plus they make out great. LOL It's elevated my already massive Shirley love to new heights and I'm enjoying the show on a whole other level.

My most watched episodes of late are Shirley and the Older Man ("I love you, Carmine." OMG *flail*), A Date with Eraserhead ("I'm crazy about you too, Shirl." Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhh) and Playing the Roxy ("Come on, live a little." LOL!!!), among select scenes from others, and there are many. I'm telling you it's a whole bizarre thing for me right now, and I love it! Now please someone tell me I'm not alone in this ship.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Not a huge fan of Shirley/Carmine eps; I've always been a Laverne/Lenny fan. That being said, your favorite twosome had some great, chemistry-filled moments.

I'm so glad that I'm no longer the only L&S fan on this board!!

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Roxy LaTour
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
Not a huge fan of Shirley/Carmine eps; I've always been a Laverne/Lenny fan. That being said, your favorite twosome had some great, chemistry-filled moments.

I'm so glad that I'm no longer the only L&S fan on this board!!

I'm so glad to find someplace where people are actively talking about Laverne and Shirley!

And speaking of chemistry filled moments, another fave S&C scene of mine is in The Robbery-- "You and me? A good time?" "The best time!" Then poor Carmine snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. So close and yet so far. But I loved that Shirley put her long-awaited good time aside to help Laverne and that Carmine was so understanding. That's true friendship right there. I've gotta believe S&C circled back and picked up where they left off sometime that season.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
shotzette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy LaTour

And speaking of chemistry filled moments, another fave S&C scene of mine is in The Robbery-- "You and me? A good time?" "The best time!" Then poor Carmine snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. So close and yet so far. But I loved that Shirley put her long-awaited good time aside to help Laverne and that Carmine was so understanding. That's true friendship right there. I've gotta believe S&C circled back and picked up where they left off sometime that season.

I love that ep! The writing and the physical comedy were both on point.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Roxy LaTour
Frequent Poster

Heart

"Ahhh… the big cigar. I'll always remember you like this, Shirl."
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Roxy LaTour
Frequent Poster

Heart

"You're the only bozo I ever wanted. I love you, Carmine."
Old 05-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I love Shirley and Carmine. I think they made a great couple. I'm so glad METV put this show on. I watched it last night, brought back good memories!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I love the promo that Cindy Williams and Eddie Mekka do on METV!!! He starts singing "I go from rags to riches"!! And she says Oh Carmine is that the only song you know? And he sings "I go from Rags the METV"! Than he says "See how I did that Angel face?"

So cute, the two of them together on the promo after all these years. A little older and a little heavier , but they are still Shirley & Carmine!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

LOVED Carmine and Shirley from the beginning. I was very young when the show started, yet I had a huge crush on Carmine. I wanted Shirley to end up marrying Carmine. I was so angry she married someone else. Shirley and Carmine were so cute together. Carmine was the BEST. He was always there to help. He helped the ladies get temp. jobs, he was there to get them out of danger, and he was Shirley's date much of the time.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtnmary
LOVED Carmine and Shirley from the beginning. I was very young when the show started, yet I had a huge crush on Carmine. I wanted Shirley to end up marrying Carmine. I was so angry she married someone else. Shirley and Carmine were so cute together. Carmine was the BEST. He was always there to help. He helped the ladies get temp. jobs, he was there to get them out of danger, and he was Shirley's date much of the time.

I agree!!
Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
I agree!!

Yay! Glad someone agrees with me.Looking back, Carmine was a hero to Laverne and Shirley. He was always there to support them. I hated, I think in the 7th season, when Shirley was given the free wedding package, how Shirley ultimately treated Carmine. She only really wanted a big wedding splash, and sort of used Carmine to help her get what she wanted. When Carmine pulled her aside and scolded her for her approach in the matter, he then made a proclamation: He DID love her and DID want to marry her. Shirley ended up jilting Carmine at the altar. Not that I thought they were ready to get married right then, and in that way, mind you. I just hoped that Carmine/Shirley would have been endgame. I always found the writers to be unfair to the character of Carmine. He DID have feelings for his Angel Face. Yet Carmine was mainly used as a supporting character to further story, and to prop Shirley. I do think Shirley loved Carmine. It is just that she was obsessed with what 'type' of person she would end up marrying..a doctor. It would have been wonderful had the writers, at the last minute, written Shirley to realize that the love of her life had been right under her nose the whole time: Carmine.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
PracTz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtnmary

I wonder if it's possible that one contributing factor re why Shirley married some uncreditted performer entirely swathed in bandages who never uttered a sound instead of Carmine may have been that at the start of the 8th Season, they weren't sure they'd be working with Miss Williams the rest of the season and, with things tense and up and in the air, they'd cover themselves regardless of whether Miss Williams was able to stay AND keep Mr. Mekka as a regular.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz
I wonder if it's possible that one contributing factor re why Shirley married some uncreditted performer entirely swathed in bandages who never uttered a sound instead of Carmine may have been that at the start of the 8th Season, they weren't sure they'd be working with Miss Williams the rest of the season and, with things tense and up and in the air, they'd cover themselves regardless of whether Miss Williams was able to stay AND keep Mr. Mekka as a regular.

I'm sure you are 100% right.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
shotzette

Per Garry Marshall and Penny Marshall's books, they hint that they were considering getting a big name for the role of Walter Meaney, but hadn't decided or asked anyone if they were interested. Per one of the books, or an article I read somewhere, Cindy Williams was hoping for Al Pacino!

Initially, the 7th season was going to be the last. The cast and crew even had a wrap party and said their good byes! At the last minute, Cindy Williams changed her mind and agreed to Season 8. This was one of the many reasons that Season 8 was such a train wreck. Michael McKean and Betty Garrett had already signed on for other projects, which is why we rarely/never saw them in Season 8. Penny Marshall was pretty much done with the show herself and only agreed to be in a handful of episodes in the lat season, which unfortunately became known as the "Frank, Squiggy, and Rhonda Show".

Another issue was that one of the last episodes of L&S, "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow" was a back door pilot for a Carmine-centric spin off based in NYC in the late 60's. I'm sure that Eddie Mekka more than paid his dues for that. ;-) Unfortunately, all of the Marshall-verse was winding down at that time and the viewing public was no longer interested in the gang from Milwaukee. It's so sad that a once fantastic show withered away like it did rather than tie up loose ends and give the fans closure.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Gumdrops
Frequent Poster

I think they should've been endgame. It's hard to watch a pairing for so long and then for them not to end up together is just annoying. Hell, I would've even accepted her with Squiggy, or Fonzie, or freaking Rosie. Just, someone we actually know, ya know?

Meh, I like to pretend the California seasons don't exist anyway, so far as I'm concerned Shirlmine (and Lavenny!) ended up happily ever after. I'm a pollyanna like that. My ships always have a fairytale ending in my head canons.