Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 25, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Without Roseanne is Official; Is a Revival of The Nanny in the Works?
Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #241
Edison
Member
Senior Member
 
Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 01, 2006
Posts: 1,159
Default

The origin of the phrase RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Attached Images
  
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #242
MISST3
Member
Senior Member
 
MISST3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2016
Posts: 6,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison
The origin of the phrase RESISTANCE IS FUTILE



MISST3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #243
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10, 2007
Location: The city trying to fight the World!
Posts: 11,712
Default

DYK-This is for Columbus Day... Christopher Columbus' First Voyage was the only semi-successful voyage that he had despite having the Santa Maria being destroyed and the first settlement in modern day Dominican Republic being demolished by the Natives.

Also...Zheng He supposedly discovered modern-day California and his voyages were abrupted by the Chinese Monarchy...if it didn't... China may have had ports on the West Coast of America!
__________________
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #244
Regulus
Member
Senior Member
 
Regulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2011
Location: Port Orange, Florida Avatar - Poiuyt
Posts: 3,267
Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
DYK-This is for Columbus Day... Christopher Columbus' First Voyage was the only semi-successful voyage that he had despite having the Santa Maria being destroyed and the first settlement in modern day Dominican Republic being demolished by the Natives.

Also...Zheng He supposedly discovered modern-day California and his voyages were abrupted by the Chinese Monarchy...if it didn't... China may have had ports on the West Coast of America!
Cristopher Columbus never set foot in in the continental USA (He did set foot in Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands) this is why I call it "Leif Erikson Day" and He did set foot in Miane and perhaps New Hampshire.
__________________
Grail Shows: Doc Elliot, Owen Marshall-Counselor of Law, Here's Boomer, Three for the Road, Most Wanted, Holmes and YoYo

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #245
MISST3
Member
Senior Member
 
MISST3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2016
Posts: 6,487
Default

The explorer Christopher Columbus made four trips across the Atlantic Ocean from Spain: in 1492, 1493, 1498 and 1502. He was determined to find a direct water route west from Europe to Asia, but he never did. Instead, he accidentally stumbled upon the Americas.
Columbus was no friend to the native people. He definitely saw profit in enslaving and selling native peoples kidnapped from Caribbean shores. Once he made allies among what he called “good Indians,” Columbus advocated fighting and enslaving native groups he presumed to be cannibals. By 1500, he and his brothers had sent nearly 1,500 enslaved islanders to European markets to be sold. Even “friendly” indigenous peoples were forced to mine gold en masse, speeding death from malnourishment, torture,overwork and disease.
MISST3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #246
Furienna
Member
Senior Member
 
Furienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
Cristopher Columbus never set foot in in the continental USA (He did set foot in Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands) this is why I call it "Leif Erikson Day" and He did set foot in Miane and perhaps New Hampshire.
Yes, I think I knew that Christopher Colombus never sat foot in what now is continental USA.

But did you know that Leif Eirikson had a sister, Freydis Eiriksdottir, who followed him on his expedition to North America? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyd%...Dksd%C3%B3ttir
__________________
Intelligence and purity.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #247
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,756
Cool DYK

One of the funniest stories ever... Back in 1998, People Magazine allowed write-in candidates for their annual World's Most Beautiful People award.

A fan website popped up nominating Howard Stern Wack-Packer Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf for the award. His claim to fame was being a midget alcoholic who appeared on The Howard Stern Show in a drunken stupor cursing at everybody, vomiting on himself and falling down stairs.

Hank received more votes than mainstream celebs. like Leonardo DiCaprio, who was very big w/ Titanic at the time. Hank had received 208,000 votes while Leo received 14,400 votes.




Reps. for People were not pleased about this and said in various interviews that they would "never" put Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf on the magazine cover. However, they did say they would give him his own online homepage.

They "blamed" this on the fanatical Howard Stern fanbase as an elaborate prank. The write-in candidate option was shortly discontinued after.
Attached Images
 
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #248
Penny Lane
Aidan Turner-ON
Forum Celebrity
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2001
Location: Beneath the blue suburban skies
Posts: 26,974
Default

As a luxury passenger vessel, the ticket price on the Titanic was $4,350 for first class, $1,750 for second class, and $30.00 for third class.
__________________
The Beatles saved the world from boredom- George Harrison
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #249
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10, 2007
Location: The city trying to fight the World!
Posts: 11,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISST3
The explorer Christopher Columbus made four trips across the Atlantic Ocean from Spain: in 1492, 1493, 1498 and 1502. He was determined to find a direct water route west from Europe to Asia, but he never did. Instead, he accidentally stumbled upon the Americas.
Columbus was no friend to the native people. He definitely saw profit in enslaving and selling native peoples kidnapped from Caribbean shores. Once he made allies among what he called “good Indians,” Columbus advocated fighting and enslaving native groups he presumed to be cannibals. By 1500, he and his brothers had sent nearly 1,500 enslaved islanders to European markets to be sold. Even “friendly” indigenous peoples were forced to mine gold en masse, speeding death from malnourishment, torture,overwork and disease.
DYK-Even the Taino Tribes butted heads with the Spaniards...the Tanio destroyed a settlement made by the Spaniards after Columbus went back to Spain.

Also...90% of the Caribbean Tribesmen were either destroyed or absorbed by the Spanish!

BUT...

The first Italian to reach the mainland America was John Cabot who reached modern day New England on June 24th, 1497.
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #250
Penny Lane
Aidan Turner-ON
Forum Celebrity
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2001
Location: Beneath the blue suburban skies
Posts: 26,974
Default

"The Groom of the Stool "was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, “presided over the office of royal excretion,” that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch’s anus after defecation. In the early years of Henry VIII’s reign, the title was awarded to minions of the King, court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen or important members of the gentry. In time they came to act as virtual personal secretaries to the King, carrying out a variety of administrative tasks within his private rooms. The position was an especially prized one, as it allowed one unobstructed access to the King’s attention. Despite being the official bum-wiper of the king, the Groom of the Stool had a very high social standing.

The human excrement was then dumped into the moat. Ah..... the good old days!


Anybody want to apply for the job?
Attached Images
 
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #251
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06, 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 13,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
"The Groom of the Stool "was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, “presided over the office of royal excretion,” that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch’s anus after defecation. In the early years of Henry VIII’s reign, the title was awarded to minions of the King, court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen or important members of the gentry. In time they came to act as virtual personal secretaries to the King, carrying out a variety of administrative tasks within his private rooms. The position was an especially prized one, as it allowed one unobstructed access to the King’s attention. Despite being the official bum-wiper of the king, the Groom of the Stool had a very high social standing.

The human excrement was then dumped into the moat. Ah..... the good old days!


Anybody want to apply for the job?
Tempting.
__________________
"I'm going to go do something productive. I'm gonna go watch television." - Ray Peterson, The 'burbs

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #252
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran
 
treky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2002
Location: Conshohocken, pennsylvania
Posts: 12,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
"The Groom of the Stool "was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, “presided over the office of royal excretion,” that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch’s anus after defecation. In the early years of Henry VIII’s reign, the title was awarded to minions of the King, court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen or important members of the gentry. In time they came to act as virtual personal secretaries to the King, carrying out a variety of administrative tasks within his private rooms. The position was an especially prized one, as it allowed one unobstructed access to the King’s attention. Despite being the official bum-wiper of the king, the Groom of the Stool had a very high social standing.

The human excrement was then dumped into the moat. Ah..... the good old days!


Anybody want to apply for the job?
__________________
the Clampetts are in a fancy Beverly Hills jewelry store.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #253
Penny Lane
Aidan Turner-ON
Forum Celebrity
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2001
Location: Beneath the blue suburban skies
Posts: 26,974
Default

Did you know that ExLax used to be chocolate? If you're over 50 you probably know this. I remember one time when I was about 3 years old I found the ExLax in a cupboard and ate it. It looked just like a chocolate bar! Anyway, I was on the potty chair all day. (We had no bathroom yet) Well, for heaven's sakes what kid could resist?! LOL Yummy!
Attached Images
 
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #254
MikaelaArsenault
John Larroquette
Forum Veteran
 
MikaelaArsenault's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 20, 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 11,774
Default

DYK?

The John Larroquette Show was originally supposed to be called Crossroads.
__________________
I love John Larroquette.

And will always like Harry Anderson too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

Antenna TV, MeTV, Decades, Laff, and Cozi TV, please add Dave's World and The John Larroquette Show to your lineups. Thank you.

PLEASE release a complete series boxset of The John Larroquette Show (and the final season of Dave's World). Thanks.

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018
MikaelaArsenault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #255
Furienna
Member
Senior Member
 
Furienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
Did you know that ExLax used to be chocolate? If you're over 50 you probably know this. I remember one time when I was about 3 years old I found the ExLax in a cupboard and ate it. It looked just like a chocolate bar! Anyway, I was on the potty chair all day. (We had no bathroom yet) Well, for heaven's sakes what kid could resist?! LOL Yummy!
That happened to my mum too once when she was a little girl.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.