Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery

Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
Smartboy

Default Shirley Temple

Once upon a time, I would post thread after thread about a third-season episode called "Samantha's Protest". This is because of how big of an impact that particular episode had on me. Most of these threads would get views but no replies. The vast majority of times in which someone would reply, it was a case of someone pointing out how many posts I had already made about that particular topic. The fact that I have not written about this episode in quite a while is because I was tired of being lectured about having already beaten that issue into the ground. However, I think that, at this point, enough time has passed and enough other people have posted about other things that I feel okay about re-approaching the topic of this episode. In a lot of my old posts, I did a lot of comparing of this episode to episodes of other shows in which characters got their bubble burst in very much the same way that Katie got her bubble burst at the end of "Samantha's Protest". A while back, someone started a thread on the "Brady Bunch" about peoples' opinions of the worst episodes of that show. This thread has a lot of replies one of which came quite recently. This particular poster wrote about an episode that had to do with a character getting her bubble burst in a manner very similar to that of Katie. All I am going to say about that "Brady Bunch" episode now is that it had to do with Shirley Temple. After I submit this post, I plan on heading over to that page and telling my buddies there about having started this thread. Hope to see you there!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

A Shirley Temple is also a non-alcoholic mixed drink traditionally made with ginger ale, a splash of grenadine and garnished with a maraschino cherry based in gelatin.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Ann Romano did a Shirley Temple impression , she sang and danced " On a good ship lollipop" on a New Years eve ep. at a retirement home in season two of One day at a time!

Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
Smartboy

I find these replies to be quite interesting. I would now like to elaborate a little bit on what was my inspiration for this thread in the first place and how I associate Shirley Temple with "Gimme a Break!". In the third-season episode "Samantha's Protest", Katie spent the bulk of the episode giddy over the idea of getting asked out by the handsome boy who was part of the protest. She was giddy over him even before she knew about his involvement in the protest. This is very similar to a fifth-season episode of "The Brady Bunch" called the "Snooperstar". In this episode, the character of Cindy spent the bulk of the episode giddy over the idea of getting discovered as the new Shirley Temple and starring a movie. Both of these daydreams turned out to be just that, daydreams! The way that I see the situation is that both girls had ambition that had no place to go. What do you guys think of this comparison?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
magellan333
Forum Regular

There was a Perfect Strangers where Larry thought he'd been accepted by the in crowd that had always shunned him in high school and they invite him to a party. There, he is only humiliated once again. Larry was a good dude who wanted better things for himself.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333
There was a Perfect Strangers where Larry thought he'd been accepted by the in crowd that had always shunned him in high school and they invite him to a party. There, he is only humiliated once again. Larry was a good dude who wanted better things for himself.

Because I have only watched a couple of episodes of "Perfect Strangers" in my life, I can only improvise in my mind what you are on about. However, I can understand that there are a lot of shows that have episodes in which a character gets his or her bubble burst at the end.

One show that had an episode that I would consider very similar to the "Snooperstar" and "Samantha's Protest" is the "Honeymooners". In this episode, Ralph had the idea that the Kramdons and the Nortons would go in together to open a hot dog stand in New Jersey. Just like the vast majority of his get rich quick schemes, it amounted to nothing. On the first day of business, a man came explaining that he was a security officer of the construction site on the piece of land next door. The man then explained to the two couples that after the building is complete, it was employ between thirty and forty people. This really made Ralph salivate! He started to daydream about having between thirty and forty potential lunch customers on a regular basis! The security officer said "I wouldn't count on that". Ralph asked why not. The man responded with "because the building going up is a Howard Johnson"! I would say that the stunned look on Ralph's face at this moment was very similar to the stunned look on Katie's face when Samantha told her that the boy that she had flirted her butt off with was taking her (Samantha) to a movie the next day! I would say that both episodes made the point that, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

There is one more piece of food for thought that I would like to offer you before signing off. During Katie's time at the protest, in addition to paying the boy cute little complements, she also looked for opportunities to make physical contact with him hoping to wet his appetite. Earlier in the episode, Nell had given Samantha the advice of "sit down and stand up for your rights". Maybe she should have also given Katie some advice about how to deal with her giddiness over the handsome boy from the protest". This advice could have gone "get your hormones in check and keep your mitts to yourself"!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
A Shirley Temple is also a non-alcoholic mixed drink traditionally made with ginger ale, a splash of grenadine and garnished with a maraschino cherry based in gelatin.

I started this thread shortly after I read a post on the "Brady Bunch" page that had to do with the episode called the "Snooperstar". I compared and contrasted Katie from this show having ambition that had no place to go with the character of Cindy Brady having ambition that had no place to go. Well, recently someone else started a thread about that same "Brady Bunch" episode. In an interview, the actress who played Cindy (Susan Olsen) felt pretty foolish dressed in a Shirley Temple costume and doing the Good Ship Lolly Pop at age twelve. I would say that, in some ways, the fool that Katie made out of her self in "Samantha's Protest" was quite similar to the fool that Cindy made out of her self in this episode. I responded to that thread telling my buddies there that I had planned on bringing this thread to the top of the page. And so, here I am!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
opus
VB

Here's a list of temples near Shirley, NY:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...-ny/t-shirley/
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Here's a list of temples near Shirley, NY:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...-ny/t-shirley/

Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

So, what's this thread about?

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
opus
VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo

Uhh, Shirley Temple?
Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Quote:

I am not really sure but I have an anecdote.

When I was a very little girl Shirley Temple made an appearance at the National Press Club and I got to meet her. I was confused because in my little girl's mind I thought she would be the little girl I saw in the movies but she was at that time a middle aged woman with dark hair, lots of makeup and perfume and jewelry. She was very sweet though and kissed me on the forehead and called me "Honey".

Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
I am not really sure but I have an anecdote.

When I was a very little girl Shirley Temple made an appearance at the National Press Club and I got to meet her. I was confused because in my little girl's mind I thought she would be the little girl I saw in the movies but she was at that time a middle aged woman with dark hair, lots of makeup and perfume and jewelry. She was very sweet though and kissed me on the forehead and called me "Honey".

It's always good to hear when a celebrity is as nice as their persona on film/TV.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Quote:
It's always good to hear when a celebrity is as nice as their persona on film/TV.

Thanks, yes!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Smartboy

Once again I am finding the replies to this thread to be quite interesting. However, one thing that I would really like to see other people offer their ideas about is ambition that has no place to go. Throughout "Samantha's Protest" Katie spent the bulk of the episode daydreaming about the boy that she liked asking her for a date. She tried her hardest to wet his appetite so he would ask her out. It was clear that she felt that, if he took her on a date, she would show him a great time, he would be anxious to see her again and a relationship with form. Her problem was that, try as she might, she could not get him to ask her out! When I first started this thread, I compared this situation to an episode of the "Brady Bunch" called the "Snooperstar". In this episode, the character of Cindy had big plans of getting discovered as the new Shirley Temple and becoming a rich and famous movie star. The problem was that nobody was looking for a new Shirley Temple! The third and final example I used was a time when Ralph Kramdon from the "Honeymooners" borrowed money from the bank to open a hot dog stand in New Jersey. His appetite really got wet by the notion that a new building was going up on the lot across the street. He daydreamed of selling lunch to the thirty to forty people who worked there. He then got smacked in the face by the fact that the building going up was a Howard Johnson! What do you guys think of these three situations?