Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #16
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Well...I did lose a friend in my Facebook friends, but that's his loss...

I was ranting about Cleveland when the Cavs were 1-3 in the NBA Finals (That series is probably going to be the top-10 NBA Finals), but the wife of my ex-pastor said don't take it personally... he's trying to move-on.

And yes...sometimes modern technology eats! I'm writing this on my tablet and sometimes they'll insist another word that I didn't write (I would write Cavs and they insist that I wrote Cave)! I'll never let go of my VHS, I even have tapes that are 20 years old and work VERY well!

I know my iPad does the same thing: it insists on"correcting" me and drives me batty.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Most modern technology is good, it makes life easier and you can get things done quicker. The one thing I hate is the automated phone system you get when you call just about any business. It wastes your time and your phone minutes and leaves you just plain mad.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #18
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

the thing I about Facebook is when people post their vacation pictures on it. Since I'm in a wheelchair I can't get around good and seeing pictures of people's vacations etc. seems like they're saying "HA HA! We can go there and you can't!"

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Furienna

I have to say that for being as relatively young as I am, I'm kind of slow at adapting to the new technology. I still use VHS once in a while, and I have never joined any social media. I have mostly stopped using my old audio casettes though. Those were the good old days, when I had to use an old-fashioned walkman to listen to music on my walks...

I finally got my own Ipad for my birthday back in June. Nevertheless though, I still prefer to use my stationary computer. And yeah, I too just hate how the dumb Ipad will auto-correct me. It will even randomly change a lot of English words into Swedish words!

Last edited by Furienna : 09-09-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
the thing I about Facebook is when people post their vacation pictures on it. Since I'm in a wheelchair I can't get around good and seeing pictures of people's vacations etc. seems like they're saying "HA HA! We can go there and you can't!"

Sorry to hear that...with me, I have no car so I really can't go anywhere and my work seems to tie me down. I also don't have much money so it's like I'm kinda shut-in.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #21
Ohio8

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
I know my iPad does the same thing: it insists on"correcting" me and drives me batty.

My iPad does the same thing!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
Nordy
Gilmore Guy and Proud of it!!

^^^ Just letting you know that is the best avatar picture ever!!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #23
Dude111

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
Facebook isn't crappy, I am on it every day. Besides the posts from my friends, there are several games I like on Facebook.
I do as much as I can to avoid that spying govt/info collecting website!!!!!

Not a good site to be exposed on! (Your real info,picture,etc)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
IllinoisTVFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl
What's a shame is a lot of jobs were lost in the computer age. Not as many people are needed in an office and other jobs as in the old days when work was done manually not all computerized! Also cyber bullying and stalking became a problem do to modern technology!

Other than that it is really cool and fun! Look at all the cool conversations and fun we have right here on Sitcoms online ! Meeting new friends here and on other website forums! And cellphones are really practical,having access to a phone wherever you are ,esp.in emergency or dangerous situations, it's great to be able to call for help at your finger tips!

Yeah, at one time I was pursuing a job in advertising/public relations and watching shows like Bewitched or Mad Men about this industry shows how different it was. Granted there was a lot of sexism but there were jobs. Now with the internet one person can do the job of several people. People blame outsourcing for the loss of jobs (and it is a huge factor)but people fail to realize that technology means a job duty that used to take a week can be done in a day or even an hour.

Regarding social media, in the last month I have lost close to 10 FB friends. A couple may have just unfriended because they were "cleaning house" but others I know it was based on their idolizing Trump and me not. Common sense would be to say that our views are different, but no they decided my views were wrong. They would even start Trump comments on topics unrelated to him (like me going back to school) then get mad because I deleted the post. Sorry, but not everything is political and some are making it that that. My neighbor even blocked me and no idea why she did. I think she is mad because I made a comment about the local mom's group making comments about me. I have been the victim of cyber bullying and stalking too. With cyber bullying, I had an instance where it carried over to real life and people mad because on FB I stated I only date the childfree. I was confronted about this. I had guys who found me from dating sites on Facebook because I had some of the same photos (now deleted). One guy kept trying to friend me, then when I rejected him was trying to send me messages.

Having said that, the internet has done some good things. For instance my next semester is 12 credits online. The reason is because most of them conflict with other things I do so it was either online or not at all. FB is good with connecting with my high school classmates I haven't seen in 20 years. It's even opened some jobs to me that I do on a freelance basis.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
Tubehead

Default modern technology

yes i guess i do like modern technology!! i even had my own web site for couple years!! now i mostly just get on face book! we were doing my web site but me & my dad just decided to do face book cause the web page builder was going to make you pay for it!! then they were fading away so i just decided to do face book plus all my friends form high school & my family gets on face book! !i did netflix for couple years & i still brought dvds!! we don't do the down load but we rent movies on dvd!! i like it cause if an movie wasn't any good then you know not to buy it!! i also like face book my cousins are missionaries they live over seas!! i talk to the all the time through face book!!i also found some of my friends from high school on face book !! i also made new friends form high school on face book!! i especially like you tube facebook & messages boards & e-mails! i love you tube especially if there's an christian cd coming out about week or before whole month you can listen to just about the whole album for free i also like watching music videos too!! i also like dvr my mp3 player! only thing i don;t own is an cell phone!! i also like playing video games i own an play station 3 and my mom & dad got me last christmas!! an playstation vita its an hand held video game system!!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #26
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
Yeah, at one time I was pursuing a job in advertising/public relations and watching shows like Bewitched or Mad Men about this industry shows how different it was. Granted there was a lot of sexism but there were jobs. Now with the internet one person can do the job of several people. People blame outsourcing for the loss of jobs (and it is a huge factor)but people fail to realize that technology means a job duty that used to take a week can be done in a day or even an hour.

Regarding social media, in the last month I have lost close to 10 FB friends. A couple may have just unfriended because they were "cleaning house" but others I know it was based on their idolizing Trump and me not. Common sense would be to say that our views are different, but no they decided my views were wrong. They would even start Trump comments on topics unrelated to him (like me going back to school) then get mad because I deleted the post. Sorry, but not everything is political and some are making it that that. My neighbor even blocked me and no idea why she did. I think she is mad because I made a comment about the local mom's group making comments about me. I have been the victim of cyber bullying and stalking too. With cyber bullying, I had an instance where it carried over to real life and people mad because on FB I stated I only date the childfree. I was confronted about this. I had guys who found me from dating sites on Facebook because I had some of the same photos (now deleted). One guy kept trying to friend me, then when I rejected him was trying to send me messages.

Having said that, the internet has done some good things. For instance my next semester is 12 credits online. The reason is because most of them conflict with other things I do so it was either online or not at all. FB is good with connecting with my high school classmates I haven't seen in 20 years. It's even opened some jobs to me that I do on a freelance basis.

As far as the Trump stuff one has got nothing to do with the other. It shouldn't matter if you like Trump or not.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #27
Ohio8

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
Most modern technology is good, it makes life easier and you can get things done quicker. The one thing I hate is the automated phone system you get when you call just about any business. It wastes your time and your phone minutes and leaves you just plain mad.

I also hate those phone trees.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #28
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Madderest

I also hate my tablet having to collapse the keyboard app.

I'll write something down on Facebook and then...the keyboard part will collapse while I'm typing! VERY annoying!
Old 09-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #29
Flying Dutchman

I agree and disagree. We are losing more freedoms,Liberties with technology, but as was already said, "Things that used to take days to do, or even weeks, can be done in hours now. I have connected to people I never thought I would hear from again from my past on Facebook, so that's been a friend in itself. Back in the day, big movie studios couldn't do with their million dollar camera's and technology nearly as much as we can do with a simple 99 dollar smartphone camera today. Imagine taking a Galaxy S7 back in time to the 70s, and rubbing it in NASA'a face, lol. That is if you could do it without getting it confiscated by the government. But in the 1970s, we didn't have the problem of Identity theft like we do today, that I believe started with the internet, unless you count the Great Ferdinand Waldo Demara.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #30
Furienna

The problem with my tablet (well, one of them anyway) is that I get pains in my arm, if I use it too much while lying down. Sigh... But I just came up with a great idea: plugging in the tablet to my stationary computer's loudspeakers, so I can listen to music at a good sound quality.