Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights
Jim Carrey Comedy and Shameless Premiere Sept. 9; Sabrina Star Gets GSN Game Show
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 11, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ATX Television Festival Highlights; Fox Planning Busy Slate of MOD TV on DVD Releases Next Two Weeks
Fri-Yay: Arrested Development Returns for a Funny But Hollow 5th Season; FX Orders Atlanta Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Default The saddest, or most poignant ep in the series

Calling all Hazel addicts:

For those who watch the show closely, what was the saddest or most touching ep for you? For me it was "Champagne Tony" ep #115 from S4.

Tony Lema, the professional golfer guests. What made it sad for me, was that about a year and a half later, Tony and his wife were tragically killed in a plane crash on the way to a tournament. He was only 32 and seemed destined, by his record, to becoming one of the best golfers ever--right up there with Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus.

From all the clips I've seen, and from the ep, he was supposed to be a real charmer. His personal touch was to celebrate victories with Champagne with the press (most victors were celebrating with beer) - hence the nickname "Champagne Tony".

Fellow Hazel fans: what's your ep?

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
retroTVfan4ever

I consider Champagne Tony sort of a special episode too, not because the episode is sad, it's not a sad episode, but sad looking at it now in retrospect knowing what was going to happen to Mr. Lema.

Hazel isn't really a laugh out loud type of sitcom, the episodes are funny but there are serious dramatic moments as well. I can't point out one episode in particular that's saddest, just that there are serious moments thruout the series.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

I think several episodes from season one were poignant or more dramatic than later ones. One that comes to mind is the ep where Hazel throws a slumber party for the girl next door. Another is one where Hazel attends a "fat farm" and shows up some of the snobbish women there.

A later (color) episode is where Hazel's old flame comes back to court her and they end up not getting together.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Another one was the episode where Rosemary Decamp plays a cousin of Hazels. Rosemarys secretary a snobby woman didn't want Hazel at the
Rosemary's wedding.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
Another one was the episode where Rosemary Decamp plays a cousin of Hazels. Rosemarys secretary a snobby woman didn't want Hazel at the
Rosemary's wedding.
I remember that ep, and Hael's cousin rips the secretary to pieces; as she rightly should have.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Alan Brady's Hair

I like the one where Mr. B. finds that he cannot "perform" and Hazel solves the problem by teaching Miss Missy a few tricks from her repertoire d'amor. Special episode, sensitively portrayed.

Last edited by Alan Brady's Hair; 08-03-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Kasey
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith
I think several episodes from season one were poignant or more dramatic than later ones. One that comes to mind is the ep where Hazel throws a slumber party for the girl next door. Another is one where Hazel attends a "fat farm" and shows up some of the snobbish women there.

A later (color) episode is where Hazel's old flame comes back to court her and they end up not getting together.

I think these 3 are the best choices.

Top 10 Shows I Want Completed on DVD: It's a Living, Alice, The Donna Reed Show, Phyllis, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Murphy Brown, The Hogan Family, Julia, 227
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Nurse Sully
Frequent Poster

Hazel to me is a very fun sitcom and also a sitcom that I just recently come to watching. One episode that was not sad really, but had a lot of meaning was when Hazel entered a contest on being the best housekeeper and the prize was to go on a vacation. If she won she was going to take Bobby. Well the contest ended in a tie and the two contestants had to bake a cake to settle the tie. Hazel heard that the lady she was up against just had a family misfortune and her son was really wanting this trip to make him happy. So she deliberately turned the oven off mid contest making her cake drop and lost the contest. Mr. B. came through though as he had the entire family and Hazel go on the vacation. Great episode.
Nurse Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
stevea

When Hazel gave credit to Deirdre for the success of a fashion show (when Hazel stole the show), for once, Deirdre ditched the snob pretensions, and was nice to Hazel. It was nice to see that Deirdre (briefly) had a human side.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
stevea

Another good one is Hazel wiping ice cream off of "Sport", not realizing Harold is growing away from her. Happy ending needed: Harold walks home with the girl, and she starts knocking sports, and Harold runs back to Hazel--she has him for a little longer. Nice episode.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 AM   #11
Chip J
Occasional Poster

Probably the Thanksgiving show from the first year. The scene where Hazel realizes that Mrs. Baxter (George's mother that is) wants to feel useful and Hazel gets her to help in the kitchen is very touching. Another scene that is touching is when George's sister (not Deirdre, her name escapes me at that moment) and her husband are having problems. Mrs. Baxter tells her daughter that her father (Mrs. Baxter's late husband that is) constantly told a certain story. Her daughter says, "You laughed every time though." Mrs. Baxter states simply "I loved him".
Chip J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
stevea

Another poignant episode is when Deirdre and her family relocate from Boston, in season 1. Deirdre forbids her daughter from seeing Hazel's nephew, Eddie. This causes Nancy, the daughter, to continue seeing him, and to confide in Hazel, rather than her mother. Hazel engineers the eventual, tearful reunion of mother and daughter.

Ironically, in season 2, Hazel also engineers it so that Eddie and Nancy postpone their wedding. I don't think Eddie and Nancy ever appear again in the series, after that episode.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #13
Hazel Anyday

I remember talking about this some years ago elsewhere on this Hazel board, somewhere. But without looking that conversation up:
I suppose if I only had one sad moment to pick it would be when Hazel was not wanted to join in on the pajama party with the hot girls. I'd have been disappointed too, but not for the reasons Hazel had. This scene, though, makes me sad each time I see it. Time has passed Hazel by and she can't get it back. That's a sad realization for all of us past a certain age.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Chip J
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith

Another great scene in the episode about Hazel's old flame (I think his name was Gus) coming back and the way George was concerned about Hazel getting her feelings hurt; he asked the obvious question, if Gus really did care about her, where was he all of these years. I just think it was really sweet about George being so protective of Hazel.
Chip J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Hazel Anyday

Thumbs up Hmm, yes, that's right, well, still too soon for me

Yes, Hazel really did have fine examples of really good writing, realistic, not jokey, but seeming real human beings talking. Then again for me after 30 years of constant watching I really got annoyed at Hazel not listening and subverting Mr. B's orders, I had to stop watching I'd get so steamed. I'm giving Hazel a year or 2 break before I step back in the waters, I talked about this in another thread. But you all have reminded me the really good points of the Hazel series and why I liked it from the beginning. Thanks for that.