Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Sports
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #46
Nordy
Gilmore Guy and Proud of it!!

Expos...woah haven't heard that team name in awhile. Do you think MLB would ever put a team back in Montreal?
Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #47
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy
Expos...woah haven't heard that team name in awhile. Do you think MLB would ever put a team back in Montreal?

You can never say never but for now there is no chance. I keep hoping it will happen but it would take an obscene amount of money and a new ballpark that is up to modern MLB standards as well as a top-notch PR sales job from the right people at the right time to make it happen. That's too bad because it would have been great to see what it would have been like if Steven Strasburg and Bryce Harper had played there as Expos and not Nationals, and perhaps they might also have had current Blue Jays catcher Russell Martin, who is from Montreal.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #48
Nordy

Yeah they'd be awesome to see Harper probably tear a couple holes in the Olympic Stadium roof haha. I'll remember the Expos the Cubs played them in my very 1st game at Wrigley with the Expos winning 4-2.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #49
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Try proving it for once! You haven't convinced me yet.

I don't have to prove anything to you or anybody. I know about baseball, but I'm not here to be in a contest to see who can spout off the most knowledge. I post here once in a while and that's it. I have other things to do and don't have time to sit at the computer all day and post on a message board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
I have watched baseball since the early 70s when the Expos were Canada's team before the Blue Jays existed and I know great teams and great hitters when I see them and I know that Bautista-Donaldson (MVP 2015)-Encarnacion form one of the most dangerous trios in all of baseball today. The Jays have won 10 of their last 12, heating up against tougher opponents after a slow start to the season, and I predict they will take the Red Sox 2 of 3 games this weekend. (I'll give Boston a win when David Price starts.) Remember where you saw this first.

Toronto might win 2 of 3 over Boston, no big deal not an earth shaking prediction, but you said they would lose vs. David Price, Toronto won the game so you were incorrect about that.

And since you mentioned the Expos, I'll comment about them. I liked when they played at Jarry Park, nice looking ballpark. The team got better after they moved into Olympic Stadium, but that was an ugly place, I didn't like it.

I remember those Expos teams from the Jarry Park days. Ron Fairly, Ken Singleton, Bob Bailey, Tim Foli, Mike Jorgensen, and Ron Hunt who led the league every year in getting hit by pitches. And the stadium announcer when he would say "John Boccabellllllllllaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!" LOL that was fun.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #50
Nordy

I always loved when the Expos came into Chicago and when Harry Caray was announcing on the TV side and when he tried to pronounce Mark Grudzielanek's name and he NEVER could get right.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #51
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
I always loved when the Expos came into Chicago and when Harry Caray was announcing on the TV side and when he tried to pronounce Mark Grudzielanek's name and he NEVER could get right.

I'm not surprised that Harry Caray had a hard time pronouncing Mark Grudzielanek's name since I recall him kind of having a hard time even pronouncing Gary Gaetti right.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #52
Nordy

That's true. I can only imagine if he was announcing now. He would totally butcher basically any name longer than Sandberg..lol
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #53
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:

Harry Caray was nuts. He was usually sloshed, that's why he couldn't pronounce some players names. I remember when he did the White Sox games before he started working for the Cubs. In the old Comiskey Park, Caray would occasionally broadcast a game from the Center Field bleachers, he'd sit out there shirtless and drink beer while broadcasting the ballgame. Near the end of the game, he'd have a tall stack of empty beer cups beside him.

There's one Harry Caray quote I'll always remember. It was in late July 1978, and the White Sox were at home playing a 2 game series vs. Oakland. The A's were the surprise of the AL for much of the '78 season, playing well despite having a lack of star talent. Charlie Finley still owned the team, and he ran things on a shoestring budget, the '78 A's were far different from the World Series champs teams of just a few years before. Anyhow, the A's swept the two game series vs. the White Sox, and during one of the games Caray said:

"I don't know how Charlie does it. He has no scouts, no sales force, no fan support and people don't show up for the games, but he still puts together a good ballclub!"

Too bad though about those '78 A's, they stayed in the division race through about the first week of August before their collapse began. That team had a fairly decent pitching staff, but the offense was weak and their defense in the field wasn't the greatest either, which ultimately led to their downfall. But it was a fun team to watch, they really hustled but just didn't have the talent to sustain a winning record for a 162 game season.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #54
Nordy

Harry did a few games out in the bleachers at Wrigley too if I remember right. There will be never another one like him. It was amazing the energy that guy had though. I always loved his story about how he met Elvis and had ribs with him at Graceland.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #55
retroTVfan4ever

Interesting fact: The 1977 Cubs were 47-22 after 69 games, then went 34-59 the rest of the way to finish even at 81-81. This years Cubs were also 47-22, so how will THEY finish? I think it's safe to say they won't collapse like the '77 team did, for one thing this years team has a much better pitching staff. The '77 Cubs had only one decent starting pitcher, Rick Reuschel, and two decent relief pitchers, Willie Hernandez and closer Bruce Sutter, who became a star pitcher that season. The '77 Cubs also didn't hit much for power, Bobby Murcer led the team with 27 homers, Larry Biittner was second with only 12 homers. This years team has two home run hitters, Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #56
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

The Cubs current 4 game losing streak shows the dangers of October. Any team, no matter how good, can lose 4 in a row. Do that in October and....
Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #57
retroTVfan4ever

I think part of the reason for the Cubs current 4 game slide is Dexter Fowler and Jorge Soler are both currently on the DL, and Anthony Rizzo is having back problems, so this obviously hurts their offense. Kyle Schwarber's season ending injury in the 2nd game of the season was a big loss too. And I think they should have kept Starlin Castro, letting him go was a mistake.

Over the course of a 162 game season, each team is going to win and lose a minimum of 40 games. It's what they do with the other 82 games that makes or breaks the season. And it's true that having a great record during the regular season isn't always a guarantee of post season success. In 2001, Seattle won 116 games but didn't play in the world series, losing the ALCS in 5 games to the Yankees who won 95 regular season games, 21 fewer than Seattle. Chalk that upset win to the Yankees recent previous post season experience and successes, many star players on the Yankees during that time. Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, David Justice, Andy Pettitte, Roger Clemens, Mariano Rivera, etc.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #58
Nordy

I'm not worried or ready to push the panic button. YET. It doesn't help that Dexter is out but hopefully that wont translate into something horrible. This year is supposed to be the best in Cubs history.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #59
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever

Over the course of a 162 game season, each team is going to win and lose a minimum of 40 games. It's what they do with the other 82 games that makes or breaks the season.

I've always had that as win or lose a minimum of 60, with the other 42 deciding your season. (Good team 102-60, bad team 60-102). Your way teams are going 122- 40, or 40-122, which doesn't really happen.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #60
retroTVfan4ever

If the Cubs have everybody healthy and in the lineup at playoff time, they will probably be OK. But there is a lot of pressure on the team to end the championship drought of 108 years. Will have to see how the players respond to the pressure.