Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Default Hazel Appreciation Thread

I'm lucky and work in a late office so sometimes I'd catch a little bit of Hazel when it aired at 9:30 am on Antenna. You know how you have those shows you always liked and now suddenly YOU REALLY LIKE-that's how I'm starting to feel about Hazel.

What do I like most about Hazel? I think it's her charm. Yes, she may be the Queen of Buttinsky's, pushy and manipulative, but she has A HEART OF GOLD. And, this, makes her "means to the end", endearing. I defy you to find a mean bone in her body.

The show also does a hip-hip-hooray for common sense. Snot nosed blue blood Diedre may have good breeding and know a Gucci from a Pucci, but when it comes to native intelligence and sensitivity to others, she falls flat on her face. While Mr. Griffin and Hazel, who had relatively little formal education, are the real movers and shakers. Mr. Griffin may be gruff but underneath he's a softie. The show kinda puts down snobbery in a clever way; perhaps that is what I missed in the past.

What do you like about Hazel? The show & the character...

(Right now I'm going through S3, with plans to start S4 shortly)

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Ahh, a thread meant for me. (Kidding) When I was a kid I remember my Dad on the floor and me sitting on his back as we watched Hazel in the living room back when it was on new. I've been watching Hazel ever since. Then it seemed to disappear for about 15 years or so from TV from mid '70's till late '80's. So that was my dry spell, no Hazel for all that time. And this was before video tapes so when it was gone there was no going to the DVD then. But when I found Hazel was played on TBS in the late '80's I started taping it, no b/w shows though still. Then when WOR the then superstation ran the show nightly and included the b/w episodes I was in Heaven. I've been watching Hazel either once or twice a week now for the past 28 years. It's a show I never get tired of and look forward to the next viewing each week (now I see it every Monday morning with breakfast).

By the way it's a great breakfast show cause Hazel is often serving breakfast in each episode. So drink your Orange juice with Mr. B and have either pancakes or eggs with Mrs. B.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #3
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
Ahh, a thread meant for me. (Kidding) When I was a kid I remember my Dad on the floor and me sitting on his back as we watched Hazel in the living room back when it was on new. I've been watching Hazel ever since. Then it seemed to disappear for about 15 years or so from TV from mid '70's till late '80's. So that was my dry spell, no Hazel for all that time. And this was before video tapes so when it was gone there was no going to the DVD then. But when I found Hazel was played on TBS in the late '80's I started taping it, no b/w shows though still. Then when WOR the then superstation ran the show nightly and included the b/w episodes I was in Heaven. I've been watching Hazel either once or twice a week now for the past 28 years. It's a show I never get tired of and look forward to the next viewing each week (now I see it every Monday morning with breakfast).

By the way it's a great breakfast show cause Hazel is often serving breakfast in each episode. So drink your Orange juice with Mr. B and have either pancakes or eggs with Mrs. B.

LOL you gotta have good discipline to watch the show as Hazel is always whipping up something mouth watering. The show has good writing too and with Shirley Booth and Don DeFore it's hard to go wrong. I just finished watching the 2part S3 ep where Hazel stumbles upon Gracie and the gangsters. But Hazel outsmarts them, of course.

Do you have a favorite ep?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Hazel Anyday means I'm ready to watch Hazel Anyday

Mouth watering is right. After years of watching Mr. Griffin rave over Hazel's brownies, I finally went and made my own brownies (& I don't cook). I found a sugar free brownie mix at Safeway (the only place that I found that sold sugar free brownies). And the good news the brownies are as good as Mr. Griffin's recommendations. Excellent and I've already bought another box to make again.

Favorite shows is hard to do, one comes to mind is the b/w episode where Hazel makes all the arrangements for a teenage girls sleepover only to be told in the end that she's not welcome. She's grown old and for that she is past the time to join in with kids. Very sad episode and still makes a tear roll at the end of the show when she sings Row Row Row your Boat with the girls. Not a funny show but the most memorable to me.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Sugar free brownies? Interesting. Do you eat sugar free for a specific health reason, or just trying to cut the calories.

Me personally I'm mildly diabetic and from personal experience a lot of sugar free products still have a lot of carbs. I may try making some muffins with a nut flour and Splenda one day- and pray to Hazel's spirit that they come out halfway decent. But, unfortunately, I'm not that great of a cook. Adequate, but nothing to write home about.

I have to think about my favorite though. The ep you picked sounds like a really good one.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Wink Can't I have another brownie?

I haven't had a brownie since I was told I had diabetes some years back. I used to buy them at that brownie store in the malls, forget the name of it. So when I finally discovered them a month or 2 ago made by Pillsbury at Safeway Sugarfree yet, I had to buy. (If it's sugar free I'll eat it, I don't look at the carbs, I gotta live a little.) Even though I've never baked a cake or brownie before. I followed directions and it was easy, though my sister helped out with the first batch adding her own helpful hints. They came out good, I added Pillsbury frosting to it and it was good. I made them again by myself and now I'm an expert. But next time I'm making them without the frosting, I'd rather they not be so sweet.

As for favorite episodes, I always like all the ones with Mr. Griffin. Liked the one at Thanksgiving when Mr. Griffin was dressed neatly in a white overcoat and requested Hazel make Peach Cobbler for desert. I liked the one when Hazel tried her psychology methods to get her nephew and Deidra's daughter not to run off and get married right away by showing them the lousy condition they'd be living in for the next 10 years. Also the b/w epis. when Deidra buys the famous painter's picture of Hazel when she was a little girl. Deidra, of course, didn't know it was Hazel. Then Hazel let it slip she "cheered" up the painting by painting a smile on her face and adding flowers. Another funny but touching episode too when they treated the picture like junk after they found Hazel retouched it. Lot of good episodes, if I thought more I could come up with more.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
I haven't had a brownie since I was told I had diabetes some years back. I used to buy them at that brownie store in the malls, forget the name of it. So when I finally discovered them a month or 2 ago made by Pillsbury at Safeway Sugarfree yet, I had to buy. (If it's sugar free I'll eat it, I don't look at the carbs, I gotta live a little.) Even though I've never baked a cake or brownie before. I followed directions and it was easy, though my sister helped out with the first batch adding her own helpful hints. They came out good, I added Pillsbury frosting to it and it was good. I made them again by myself and now I'm an expert. But next time I'm making them without the frosting, I'd rather they not be so sweet.

As for favorite episodes, I always like all the ones with Mr. Griffin. Liked the one at Thanksgiving when Mr. Griffin was dressed neatly in a white overcoat and requested Hazel make Peach Cobbler for desert. I liked the one when Hazel tried her psychology methods to get her nephew and Deidra's daughter not to run off and get married right away by showing them the lousy condition they'd be living in for the next 10 years. Also the b/w epis. when Deidra buys the famous painter's picture of Hazel when she was a little girl. Deidra, of course, didn't know it was Hazel. Then Hazel let it slip she "cheered" up the painting by painting a smile on her face and adding flowers. Another funny but touching episode too when they treated the picture like junk after they found Hazel retouched it. Lot of good episodes, if I thought more I could come up with more.

I'll have to look for those brownies. I'm getting psyched to try to make some muffins with either almond or coconut flour. Wish me luck. I tried to make pancakes with soy flour but they didn't come out too good- good enough for me but nothing like the real deal. I wouldn't dare eat real pancakes though-my BG would go through the roof!

I really like the Mr. Griffin episodes too. That Diedre though-she needs surgery real bad- to remove that bug up her *** lol. She's such a pill.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Peppermint Patty
Frequent Poster

I almost forgot about how wonderful this show was until recently when they started airing it again. I make it a point to watch the 2 episodes they show each day. I just sit and laugh at the great comedy and storylines.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Peppermint Patty
Frequent Poster

I can't believe I actually almost forgot about this wonderful show and thanks to gettv for broadcasting it two times a day it brought back great memories. Many laughs and wonderful storylines made this show very memorable.