Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Gumdrops
Frequent Poster

Default No Longer a Shirley/Carmine Fan

I've changed my view on Shirley and Carmine as a pairing.

Neither character is a fave of mine, so I've never really given them much real thought either as individuals or as a couple. They're always just kind of there for me. But, I decided to pay a little more attention to them lately and I realized, I don't really ship them.

It's like, I want to like them, but the show, the way they're written I guess, just makes it really difficult. They seem to just be together for the sake of it. Like, they're stuck in a holding pattern and it's just easier to be together than to end it completely, ya know? Not that I don't think they care about (and even love each other), but it just never looks like something enduring.

Shirley wants that doctor, any doctor and she would drop Carmine in a hot second the moment one looked twice at her. Maybe I'm being unfair to her, but she seems to treat Carmine as a placeholder.
Not that I think Carmine is a saint or anything. He runs around with the likes of Lucille and whoever else. Perpetual bachelorhood wouldn't surprise me with him.
They're both very much at fault for the multitude of issues in their relationship.

That said, I'd still take them over her and Walter.

I guess there's really no point to this post, but I felt like I needed to get it out.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

See now with me, I always liked them together! I thought they had great chemistry and seemed to really love each other ! I think they should have ended up together!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Gumdrops
Frequent Poster

I used to think so too, but now that I've taken a deeper look at it, I totally understand why it didn't happen.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just, for myself, I see it differently now.

Last edited by Gumdrops : 03-17-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

That's cool!!!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdrops

It's like, I want to like them, but the show, the way they're written I guess, just makes it really difficult. They seem to just be together for the sake of it. Like, they're stuck in a holding pattern and it's just easier to be together than to end it completely, ya know? Not that I don't think they care about (and even love each other), but it just never looks like something enduring.

Shirley wants that doctor, any doctor and she would drop Carmine in a hot second the moment one looked twice at her. Maybe I'm being unfair to her, but she seems to treat Carmine as a placeholder.
Not that I think Carmine is a saint or anything. He runs around with the likes of Lucille and whoever else. Perpetual bachelorhood wouldn't surprise me with him.
:

I get it, and I feel the same way. Per cannon, they started dating in high school and just sort of grew up together. They weren't either one's ideals, although I do think they had genuine affection for one another. They were like the couple everyone knew in college who kept breaking up and drifting back together because they were in the same crowd and it was convenient. I accept that they were each other's first loves, but not lasting loves.

The relationship sort of made sense, in nothing more than a convenience sort of way, until the move to CA. When Carmine moved to Burbank, things should have escalated, or he should have stayed in WI. I heard a rumor--can't quote the source for the life of me--that Eddie Mekka was sort of on the fence about re-upping when his contract ended after S5 and they brought in Ed Marinaro as Sonny, or as I called him "Carmine-lite" to play the Carmine-ish role in CA.

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Gumdrops
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
The relationship sort of made sense, in nothing more than a convenience sort of way, until the move to CA. When Carmine moved to Burbank, things should have escalated, or he should have stayed in WI.

Totally. The writers should've committed one way or the other. Break them up once and for all, or make them a real couple. That whole existing in limbo thing they had going on just made it difficult to root for them.

I think that's why I tend to ship so many non-canon pairings. It's just easier to root for a couple when they don't have all the baggage that the show's writing has saddled on them.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Race's Girl
Forum Veteran
Miss Tremendous

Send a message via MSN to Race's Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Race's Girl

They would've made a great couple
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdrops
Totally. The writers should've committed one way or the other. Break them up once and for all, or make them a real couple. That whole existing in limbo thing they had going on just made it difficult to root for them.

I think that's why I tend to ship so many non-canon pairings. It's just easier to root for a couple when they don't have all the baggage that the show's writing has saddled on them.
I agree. They either needed to become a couple or not. The on again off again, sometimes together thing made little sense. Personally, I think Carmine should never have moved to California unless they were to become a couple. He gives up his dream of owning his own dance studio to deliver singing telegrams, and go on the occasional date with Shirley? (And watch her go out with other guys?). That made zero sense.

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"